PDA

View Full Version : Help finding/pricing first Series Land Rover

dawgvet
01-07-2010, 10:32 AM
I am interested in buying my first Series Land Rover, preferrably a 88" IIA. I live in north Georgia, about an hour north of Atlanta, and would like some help. I would like a ballpark price for a decent driver, not a basket case but not a show-truck. I do most of the mechanical repairs myself so I don't mind a few mechanical needs but would like something I can drive while fixing/upgrading parts. Any idea what I should look to pay? Anyone know of one for sale in such condition?
Thanks
Jedidiah Green

greasyhandsagain
01-07-2010, 10:51 AM
Search ebay, try to find one local enough that you can go see it in person. Buy something solid and running. Figure spending anywhere from 4 to 7 thousand dollars.
Find the active rover club in your area and hook up with these guys before you buy. chances are someone is selling something you may like just fine.

Jeff Aronson
01-07-2010, 11:21 AM
Good advice from Greasyhandsagain. The price range offered is realistic, although right now, Series Rovers are available for less money than that.

I assume you've ridden and/or driven a Series Rover so you know what it's like to drive a 1950's engineered car? If not, I recommend it to you. I actually hired a fellow Rover enthusiast to spend a day with me driving his car around so I could get the feel of one before deciding on whether I was cut out for Series ownership. It was well worth the cost!

There is an active club in Georgia called SOLAROS (http://www.solaros.com/#), and I would advise you to touch base with them. You'll get a good idea of the range of cars out there from the "For Sale" section on this Forum.

Do consider sharing your potential purchase and photos here, or take a Rover enthusiast/owner along with you if you go to look at one. Series Rovers will often start, run and drive far beyond their "sell by" date. Someone experienced with Land Rovers will help you with the "hidden issues" [bulkhead, crossmember rust, frame rust, swivel ball leakage, fluid maintenance and condition, etc.] so important to purchasing a good platform for Rover ownership.

Ebay purchases are seductive but with a base of Rover enthusiasts around the country, try and find someone knowledgable you can check out a potential purchase for you.

Good luck!

Jeff

greasyhandsagain
01-07-2010, 12:24 PM
I personally think a first time owner should purchase on the high end. The learning curve is expen$ive. If you buy from a knowledegable owner you can trust...youre ahead of the game. While they are fun to work on and to tinker with...no one wants to be faced with a chassis replacement or broken gearbox on day one.

NickDawson
01-07-2010, 12:27 PM
Do consider sharing your potential purchase and photos here, or take a Rover enthusiast/owner along with you if you go to look at one. Series Rovers will often start, run and drive far beyond their "sell by" date. Someone experienced with Land Rovers will help you with the "hidden issues" [bulkhead, crossmember rust, frame rust, swivel ball leakage, fluid maintenance and condition, etc.] so important to purchasing a good platform for Rover ownership.
Jeff

I'll second that! As folks around here can attest my search turned up some real lookers that turned out to be well painted rust. I would have done well to have an expert with me on a few of my test drive trips.

Lets not talk about my actual purchase :D

scott
01-07-2010, 12:39 PM
4 years ago paid 5900 for my 64' 88. was pretty reliable, it nickled and dimed me for 3 yrs then a bone head move on my part cost me an engine rebuild $1900, but the 2.25 was now so clean and all painted that i was moved to strip the truck down to the frame, seatbox forward. another couple thou and four months of weekends later and it's now more dependable, a lot zippier, just as ugly (didn't paint the bonnet or wings). i know of an early 70s iia, sound truck, ugly truck, well worth 6000 i think the guy wants for it.

bmohan55
01-07-2010, 03:17 PM
A very knowledgable long time Series guru that I asked to look my truck over at MAR told me that anyway you look at it you are going to spend from $10,000 to $12,000 to get one running properly. Either a higher purchase price or cost of repairs, you got to pay to play. FWIW I got mine on e-bay out of Atlanta sight unseen for $6100 and have about $4,000 into it so far. Still have more to go but she's reliable and my daily driver now. Your results may vary. Good luck and keep us posted...it's fun watching the disease claim another.

thixon
01-07-2010, 03:44 PM
dawgvet,

I'm in Augusta. If you find something local, let me know. I'll be glad to look at it with you, time permitting. Youre also welcome to come to Augusta, and look at my truck if you wish. Its mid rebuild, but seeing one in that state might be of value to you.