PDA

View Full Version : Rear window wiper

Tsmith
01-08-2010, 10:25 AM
Are there any recommendations for a wiper for the rear door of a SII Station Wagon?

Tom Smith

NickDawson
01-08-2010, 10:35 AM
curious as well. Mine has a hole where one once was (and I have snazzy defogger/defroster strips). I'd love to get a rear wiper...you know, when its running again

siiirhd88
01-08-2010, 11:04 AM
I used a Discovery 1 rear wiper motor and mounting bracket on the wife's 109, with a modified Range Rover Classic rear wiper arm. I use a toggle switch to operate the motor, which eliminated the intermittent feature, but you could use an aftermarket switch to restore the intermittent feature. I'll take some pics later today and post them.

Bob
'96 Disco SE7
'80 SIII 109
'75 SIII 88 V8
'68 SIIA 109 V8

siiirhd88
01-08-2010, 04:28 PM
This is the Disco 1 rear wiper motor on the wife's 109 rear door. This is a Defender door, so it already had the hole for the wiper shaft, but the hole on the inside door frame had to be enlarged slightly to fit the plastic Disco shaft cover. The clamp that attaches the motor to the mounting bracket had to be loosened in order to reposition the mounting tabs to match the door frame. I used large self tapping screws to attach the mounting tabs to the door frame, keeping the stock insulation rubbers. I think I bought a Defender rubber seal where the shaft comes thru the door, but it could be Range Rover parts.

There are three wires on the wiper motor, one is green and has power all of the time the ignition is 'on' for the 'park' function, one is power from the toggle switch, and one is ground. Cole-Hersee makes several switches that have an intermittent function and are also push to wash. I plan on changing to that type of switch at a future time, since the intermittent function would be a great improvement in light rain or snow.

I cut down the Range Rover wiper arm and welded the two pieces to the proper length to use until I found a Defender arm. I ended up keeping the modified Range Rover arm as it parked at a position closer to the bottom of the window as compared to the Defender arm.

Bob
'96 Disco SE7
'80 SIII 109
'75 SIII 88 V8
'68 SIIA 109

siiirhd88
01-08-2010, 04:38 PM
These are the last two pics showing the shortened and rewelded wiper arm and how it sits on the window.

When I rewired the 109 I added a number of extra wires to the rear harness. I used some of these wires for the wiper motor, passing thru the rear wheel well in a rubber bushed hole from the right rear into the inside of the truck next to the rear door limiting arm. I left a little extra wire for flex asthe door is opened and closed. The wires were secured with tie wraps screwed to the door frame.

I also added a rear window wash pump and heated rear window wiring at the same time.

Bob
'96 Disco SE7
'80 SIII 109
'75 SIII 88 V8
'68 SIIA 109 V8

Tsmith
01-11-2010, 09:30 AM
Thanks Bob, very nicely done! I am finding the part I'll need now.

Tom Smith