PDA

View Full Version : Best place to mount a jerry can?

Artificer
01-08-2010, 09:22 PM
Just ordered myself a jerry can after puttering out on a local road after running out of fuel. Apparently "about a quarter tank" actually means "about the square root of beat all" for my little Rover.

So where's the best place to mount the thing on the 88" pickup? I want all opinions, both aesthetic and practical!

KevinNY
01-08-2010, 09:29 PM
The old jeep style carriers can be had for 15 bucks or so and can be bolted down in the tub, preferably back in the corner.

SafeAirOne
01-08-2010, 09:50 PM
I want all opinions, both aesthetic and practical!

Hmm...I'm conflicted. The title to this thread says "BEST place to mount jerrycan" but you still ask for asthetic but potentially impractical opinions.

Well, here's my favorite, asthetically speaking, place to put them on a pre SIII rover. It is, coincidentally, probably one of the worst places to mount said cans:

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c391/lstrvr/CopyofDSC_2163.jpg

Photo lifted from this site (http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11094&page=3).

czenkov
01-08-2010, 09:55 PM
Man I love that picture. x2 in the tub. Not too aesthetically pleasing but imminently practical.

scott
01-08-2010, 10:23 PM
we used gypsy rack on our hmmv.

http://www.gypsyrack.com/docs/gypsy_rack_spare_web.pdf

i'm making a smaller version for the back of my series. because i have a soft top it'll be easy to hook to the rear top rail of the tub.

Jim-ME
01-09-2010, 06:21 AM
I plan to have a 3 can version of that type of rack built which will be mounted on a receiver hitch so I can have it mounted only when i need it.
Jim

Artificer
01-09-2010, 08:23 AM
Man I love that picture. x2 in the tub. Not too aesthetically pleasing but imminently practical.

Durr... where exactly in the back? I was worried about mounting it too close to the gate and reducing accessibility to the bed.

KevinNY
01-09-2010, 08:30 AM
You can see my water can in the mount here.

derekchace
01-09-2010, 08:33 AM
This is how I mounted mine. Does not effect the tailgate at all.
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg298/steeltiger22/TEAM%2020%20SUPPORT%20ROVER/100_0660.jpg

LaneRover
01-09-2010, 09:17 AM
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg298/steeltiger22/TEAM%2020%20SUPPORT%20ROVER/100_0660.jpg

Other items mounted on truck do have effect on tailgaters though!

Artificer
01-09-2010, 11:08 AM

I assume you're a collector or do reenactment? If not, I don't think I'll be making that trip to the Ben & Jerry's factory after all...

yorker
01-09-2010, 01:25 PM
Which kind of jerry can do you have?

The Swiss Army mounted one jerry can inside, behind the driver- there is room there btween the bulkhead and the rear seat that is just big enough for a jerrycan mount on the passenger side this space it partially taken up withthe outside fuel filler and you can't mount one there.

There are pro and con arguments for all mounting positions, a lot of people don't like to have the cans inside.

SafeAirOne
01-09-2010, 02:22 PM

Unfortunately, that's where almost everyone else's rear lights are. :(

telwyn
01-09-2010, 04:05 PM
Doesn't answer the question, but thought I'd mention I have two army style jerry can holders for sale here (http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36952) if anyone is in need of them.

I never used them because I too couldn't decide where they should go, but also in part because I found a British Army dual jerry can holder for Land Rovers that I purchased from Ebay UK and had shipped to FL. Can't tell you where in the Rover it would have gone because I mounted it in my m416 trailer.

http://i596.photobucket.com/albums/tt48/telwyn/IMG_4805.jpg

http://i596.photobucket.com/albums/tt48/telwyn/IMG_4815.jpg

Artificer
01-10-2010, 07:02 AM

The Swiss Army mounted one jerry can inside, behind the driver- there is room there btween the bulkhead and the rear seat that is just big enough for a jerrycan mount on the passenger side this space it partially taken up withthe outside fuel filler and you can't mount one there.

There are pro and con arguments for all mounting positions, a lot of people don't like to have the cans inside.

I just ordered it from our kind hosts; it was one of the last green ones.

I actually don't have any back seats in my Rover. The bed is open and empty.

TeriAnn
01-10-2010, 08:23 AM
Just ordered myself a jerry can after puttering out on a local road after running out of fuel. Apparently "about a quarter tank" actually means "about the square root of beat all" for my little Rover.

So where's the best place to mount the thing on the 88" pickup? I want all opinions, both aesthetic and practical!

At frame level inside the body. Adding a second under the seat fuel tank, doubls your fuel capacity, takes up no additional usable space (but you do loose the storage box). It does not add to the vehicle centre of gravity. its tidy and out of the way.

My 109 has 2 under seat fuel tanks plus a rear duel tank. 42 gallon fuel capacity, all at frame level, weight distributed about evenly in the vehicle, no lifting 20L cans & pouring them into the tank.

Sometimes you might want to think inside the box.

Artificer
01-10-2010, 03:05 PM
At frame level inside the body. Adding a second under the seat fuel tank, doubls your fuel capacity, takes up no additional usable space (but you do loose the storage box). It does not add to the vehicle centre of gravity. its tidy and out of the way.

My 109 has 2 under seat fuel tanks plus a rear duel tank. 42 gallon fuel capacity, all at frame level, weight distributed about evenly in the vehicle, no lifting 20L cans & pouring them into the tank.

Sometimes you might want to think inside the box.

You're right, that is something to consider. I seem to remember thinking about that for about 3 seconds and then dismissing it; for what reason I don't know. I would like to keep the under-seat storage for now, as it is the only storage I have on the Rover that is out of the weather. Until I fabricate or buy a tool chest for the back, anyway.

LaneRover
01-10-2010, 04:32 PM
I would like to keep the under-seat storage for now, as it is the only storage I have on the Rover that is out of the weather. Until I fabricate or buy a tool chest for the back, anyway.

Or looks like it is out of the weather.

czenkov
01-10-2010, 10:22 PM
As far to the rear as possible! If you have the same springs I have your ride is "vigorous". Moving it as far the the rear as you can will negate some of the effect. Yeah it reduces access from straight back but that is the beauty of a pick-up.......lean over the side. You can lay them on the side, nozzle up, in a mount, on the wheel weels and they ride a little higher but they are out of the way of the main load-space.

lstrvr
01-12-2010, 03:31 AM
I thought I would comment as that first picture is of my Carawagon :). I pondered on Jerry can mount locations for a long period before departing on our trip to Alaska, and when all was said and done, I decided on copying the original Carawagon jerry can mounts. Although it may look scary to some, I really dig the original look and love the set-up. If the truck was petrol I maybe wouldn't recommend it, but considering they only carry diesel, and are only ever filled for off-road, they are less of a danger than they look! Carawagon and Dormobile mounted them up front originally, as most useable space was used up for cabinets, and the original overcab roof racks were way to light to ever consider mounting a jerry can. Series Rovers have been mounting jerry cans up front since their inception. I just read about Robert Bateman touring the world in '57 in a S1 with dual jerry cans up front labelled "gin" and "tonic"! I believe those guys in "First Overland" had the same set-up as well. Obviously there can be better places for other reasons :rolleyes:, but they've worked there for me and many other travellers in all forms of unforgiving climate and terrain for years!

yorker
01-12-2010, 06:51 AM
If someone was worried about having fuel cans on the front bumper they could always use the bumper mounts for H2O and put the fuel elsewhere in room freed up by that.

jrd51ox
01-12-2010, 11:23 AM
This is a topic that I've been thinking about on & off for a while now. My concerns

1. Not wanting any new holes in the body
2. Not wanting the cans inside the rover
3. Non-permanent: ability to take off when not needed

I don't use the rear tire carrier (keep it on the bonnet), and thought that could be a great place start. So I'm having a friend make me a new plate for the carrier that can be used to bolt on two classic jerry can holders. That way it is removable, just undo the lug nuts. Tough to describe, sorry if his sounds unclear. Pdf Attached is a rough draft I made on paintbrush....the pic is the plate I'm speaking of modifying....

Just an idea.

TeriAnn
01-12-2010, 12:02 PM
I don't use the rear tire carrier (keep it on the bonnet), and thought that could be a great place start. So I'm having a friend make me a new plate for the carrier that can be used to bolt on two classic jerry can holders. That way it is removable, just undo the lug nuts.
Just an idea.

May I suggest weighing your spare tyre and a full pair of 20L jerrycans for comparison? The weight of larger spare tyres have been known to cause damage to rear doors. The factory addressed this issue by adding a third hinge to the rear door. I suggest doing so if you plan to add a lot of weight back there. And remember the closer you can fit the weight of the cans to the hinge/latch plane of the rear door the better. Maybe your can carrier can mount to the tyre carrier and bend back to the door to mount the cans on either side up against the door?

Just a thought about weights & levers.

jrd51ox
01-12-2010, 12:59 PM
Thanks TeriAnn...I completely under estimated the weight....your right.

Just one can on the hinge side would be a safer bet.

BellaCoola
01-13-2010, 02:00 AM
FYI...the Carwagon with the yellow jerry cans on the front are filled with water only.

He's a member of our club the Roverlanders.

On a recent trip a S3 109 put two jerry cans on the outriggers in front of the rear wheels under the body on both sides. Good low weight, only drawback is that he needed to remove his tire to access them.

I had 4 cans up on the rear of the roof rack...I would do it again for highway driving, even gravel, but not off road. The weight makes it too top heavy.

lstrvr
01-13-2010, 03:03 AM
Hi Dave

I think you missed my post on page 2! They are filled with Diesel. A lot of guys get freaked out by the idea of jerry cans up front, and as I mentioned earlier, I probably wouldn't do it with petrol, but diesel isn't anywhere as flammable as petrol. In the chance of an accident, they will probably do more to put out an engine fire than start one!:rolleyes: I like the location for what I use the truck for as they are out of the way, easy to fill in place, easy to re/re, mounted frame height, stay way cleaner than anyting mounted to the rear of my truck, and it frees up the inside for other gear that is more suitable to being kept in the interior with passengers. Even with the crappy Heystee suspension up front, any change to the driving characteristics of the truck with the cans full or empty is almost impercetible. If I was doing a ton of bushwacking I would re-consider, but I try not to go driving into stuff when I'm out in my truck. That being said, they are just Jerry cans. Cheap to replace if they do get damaged. They are far more practical where they are than they seem to get credit for. Like I mentioned before, I have actively used them in that location for years and would of relocated them long ago if they ever posed any inefficiency. That's just my experience based on how I use this truck. I am sure it will be different for others based on their own needs.:)

yorker
01-13-2010, 06:03 AM
Hi Dave

I think you missed my post on page 2! They are filled with Diesel. A lot of guys get freaked out by the idea of jerry cans up front, and as I mentioned earlier, I probably wouldn't do it with petrol, but diesel isn't anywhere as flammable as petrol. In the chance of an accident, they will probably do more to put out an engine fire than start one!:rolleyes: I like the location for what I use the truck for as they are out of the way, easy to fill in place, easy to re/re, mounted frame height, stay way cleaner than anyting mounted to the rear of my truck, and it frees up the inside for other gear that is more suitable to being kept in the interior with passengers. Even with the crappy Heystee suspension up front, any change to the driving characteristics of the truck with the cans full or empty is almost impercetible. If I was doing a ton of bushwacking I would re-consider, but I try not to go driving into stuff when I'm out in my truck. That being said, they are just Jerry cans. Cheap to replace if they do get damaged.

Have you priced non CARB jerrycans in the US lately? ;)

stomper
01-13-2010, 06:20 AM
Yorker brings up a question I have been investigating through e-bay lately. I really want 4 nato style jerry cans, but they are hard to find with the CARB regulations. The Blue H2O cans say you can't put fuel in them, but if you changed the top gasket, and painted them another color, wouldn't they be the same thing as the old NATO cans? If not, does anyone have some NATO cans they wish to part with?

yorker
01-13-2010, 06:40 AM
Yorker brings up a question I have been investigating through e-bay lately. I really want 4 nato style jerry cans, but they are hard to find with the CARB regulations. The Blue H2O cans say you can't put fuel in them, but if you changed the top gasket, and painted them another color, wouldn't they be the same thing as the old NATO cans? If not, does anyone have some NATO cans they wish to part with?

they supposedly have a different food grade lining that might degrade with gasoline. Your best bet is to stock up on good used preban jerrycans. :D

I was shocked when I priced Scepter jerrycans- they have gone out of sight- even used ones.

yorker
01-13-2010, 06:46 AM
by the way the best deal I have seen on surplus German style metal jerrycans is at Coleman's surplus. I think thery are British surplus and ~$25 ea. If anyone knows of any others out there pleas post up.

There is usually an ongoing supply of surplus plastic Scepter military fuel cans on eBay.

yorker
01-13-2010, 04:13 PM
If anyone happens to use the metal US Army style cans still here are a pair of those Dick Cepek jerrycan mounts:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/cepek-jerry-can-holders_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem1c0f4a4cd6QQite mZ120515611862QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5f Accessories

here is a thread about Scepter cans:
http://forum.ih8mud.com/camping-outdoor-gear/200120-scepter-fuel-cans-carb-states.html

If anyone needs new Scepter style Water Cans for $18.99:
http://forum.ih8mud.com/camping-outdoor-gear/267199-online-deal-5-gal-scepter-water-cans-16-a.html

SafeAirOne
01-13-2010, 06:10 PM
by the way the best deal I have seen on surplus German style metal jerrycans is at Coleman's surplus. I think thery are British surplus and ~$25 ea. If anyone knows of any others out there please post up.

Here (http://www.deutscheoptik.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=3&products_id=1718)

cscutt
01-13-2010, 09:02 PM
IBIS TEK makes some practical adaptations and bumper mount systems for rovers well as RSOV's and regular military hummers. An additional bonus to this attachment is an IBIS TEK or ARB bumper.. it has a proven ramming speed of 40 plus mph with limited distortion. I have to admit it is a GREAT feeling.:thumb-up:

luckyjoe
01-14-2010, 07:41 AM
DOes anyone know if there is much difference between the (petrol) lining on surplus vs. newer (Wedco) cans?

I have 8-9ish year old Wedco can that the lining has lifted. The screen in the spout catches the flakes, but still a PITA. I'm wondering if this is un-avoidable due to newer fuel formulations?

My diesel can lining is fine...

Regards,

yorker
01-14-2010, 07:53 AM
E10 can raise hell with a lot of bits, it wouldn't surprise me if that was the reason? Either that or it was a bad day at the factory.

I'd reline it with one of those gas tank linings we talked about a while back.

Retfordlad
10-26-2011, 08:15 AM
BLIMEY ! LUCKY YOU ! Been looking for a Brit ex-military holder(s) in good shape for EVER !! All I have are a couple I picked up from a now out of business ex-mil. Rover place in Philly - Much older Brit military but bits missing and cannot find reference pics !! Darn ! Only Brit can I have has a few small knocks, couple slight exterior surface rust spots and dated 1976 and lettered BSC CPW. Only gonna use it for 'show' as Im guessing it might not be safe for fuel. STILL need a good Brit military rack to be 'correct' though !

yorker
11-01-2011, 07:25 AM

GreenMeanie got me a pic of a Swiss Army 88:

amcordo
11-01-2011, 10:24 AM
No one has said this... it seems like a common sense bad idea to have gas cans in the interior of the vehicle. Just me?

yorker
11-01-2011, 11:41 AM
No one has said this... it seems like a common sense bad idea to have gas cans in the interior of the vehicle. Just me?
Why? When you are sitting on one anyway?

amcordo
11-01-2011, 11:56 AM
Ha. Speak for yourself. I've got a 109 rear tank.

None the less - just because you've got one potentially dangerous situation that doesn't make creating another a good idea. Again, just my common sense. :)

yorker
11-01-2011, 01:00 PM

None the less - just because you've got one potentially dangerous situation that doesn't make creating another a good idea. Again, just my common sense. :)
It might be your idea of common sense but putting a can of flammable liquid on the exterior of your vehicle can be just as dangerous and far more likely to be stolen, or punctured in an accident. I've seen 2 trucks roll and dump gas all over from Jerry cans on roof racks- and one M151 that was rear ended and dumped 5 gallons of gasoline all over , That leaves what? the front bumper? Also remember don't assume all jerry cans contain gasoline, just as many carry water, diesel, or motor oils.

http://www.expeditionswest.com/adventures/2009/RGS/Tom_Sheppard_%20(6).jpg

If it is secure and not leaking fumes it is safe inside.

greenmeanie
11-01-2011, 01:34 PM

I'm interested to find out what your perceived danger is with a WELL SECURED jerry can inside the vehicle?

Ncrover725
11-01-2011, 02:52 PM
I have hit an IED and seen many many more IED strikes with jerry cans of fuel stored inside of our GMVs. I have never seen them explode. I have seen medical grade oxygen bottles and a fire extinguisher explode though. I think I assume more risk with my serie's brakes in and around the city than I ever would a fuel hazard.

amcordo
11-01-2011, 03:15 PM
I'm interested to find out what your perceived danger is with a WELL SECURED jerry can inside the vehicle?

In my head I was thinking fumes, explosion, etc. But I suppose you're right that if it's well secured it doesn't matter...

I have hit an IED and seen many many more IED strikes with jerry cans of fuel stored inside of our GMVs. I have never seen them explode. I have seen medical grade oxygen bottles and a fire extinguisher explode though. I think I assume more risk with my serie's brakes in and around the city than I ever would a fuel hazard.

Now that's interesting! And you're probably right that the brakes are the most likely problem. :thumb-up:

greenmeanie
11-01-2011, 03:48 PM
For what its worth I was talking to a fireman in the UK about this and he claims to have witnessed several NATO cans that have been in a fire. They will pop up like a football but the fuel, and therefore fire risk it poses, remained contained.

There is a reason these cans have the reputation for toughness they do. Do look after the seals though.

o2batsea
11-01-2011, 07:42 PM
I assume more risk with my serie's (sic) brakes in and around the city than I ever would a fuel hazard.

If you're scared of the Series brakes, then you must not have 'em right. I could always lock up all 4 no problem in the 109 if I jabbed 'em hard. Very easily modulated and plenty of stop even when full of mud.

The future iteration of the 109 will have RRC axles, so with discs all around the braking should be even more stellar.

Ncrover725
11-01-2011, 08:25 PM
I have no issues braking if I plan ahead and leave plenty of distance. If someone pulled in front of me and I was forced to brake I would hit them. I have put over 3000 miles on the 109 since august and have been good so far. My brakes are the next thing to replace though. The 4x4 shop up the street has RRC axles if I want them. It's a serious thought.

Skookumchuck
11-01-2011, 10:56 PM
I had to lock up the brakes on the Rover this morning as a 6 point bull elk ran out of the ditch in front of me. they worked fine and I slowed down enought to not have Antlers in the front seat with me. Mind you I do have that great front bumper and bull bars.....:rolleyes: Maybe I should of tested them out.:eek: