PDA

View Full Version : Voltage Regulator

amcordo
01-09-2010, 10:59 AM
Question: Does the voltage regulator go between the battery and ALL of the electrical connections? Or just the non-engine electrical connections. I know that the engine pulls a lot of energy, and I'm trying to reverse engineer the POs wiring.

greasyhandsagain
01-09-2010, 01:08 PM
!!! You seriously need to get a wiring diagram !!!

amcordo
01-09-2010, 01:21 PM
!!! You seriously need to get a wiring diagram !!!

No, that's the thing. It's not like the diagram.

LaneRover
01-09-2010, 01:48 PM
No, that's the thing. It's not like the diagram.

Many of them aren't!

greasyhandsagain
01-09-2010, 03:12 PM
ahhh....slightly 'bodged'? I understand now.

Good luck and may the alumiforce be with you

Jeff Aronson
01-09-2010, 06:23 PM
I'll second the idea of getting Haynes manual wiring diagram or a factory manual diagram.

The voltage regulator is like a switch that permits a charge to go from the generator back to the battery. It's built into the back of the alternator, or sits on the bulkhead if you still have a generator.

The voltage regulator would only affect wiring connected with the charging system. Lights, radio, directionals, heater, etc., are on separate wiring. I'm thinking as I write - a dangerous combination - but it would seem that logically, power needs to come from the ignition switch to "excite" the alternator. The same must hold true for the voltage regulator and generator. The regulator must send current to the generator, and then would send the resulting voltage back to the battery. The voltage regulator would shut power down to the battery when it's fully charged.

If you got a wiring diagram and manual, it would show you which wire went to which connector on the voltage regulator went to the generator/alternatr or came from the ignition switch.

Your Chevye ngine should not be different in setup than the Rover 2.25 or the 2.6 .

Good luck,

Jeff