PDA

View Full Version : best place to mount a cb antenna 2a 109

glbft1
01-09-2010, 05:08 PM
already have a cb in the truck but want to mount a antenna on the outside, want this with my hard-top and soft top thinking left rear on the back any , experiences etc...and pics of other mounts would be great.
thanks
greg

KevinNY
01-09-2010, 08:44 PM
Firestik no ground plane mount kit, http://www.firestik.com/Catalog/NGP_M2.htm I have one mounted on the breakfast on my SIII. Perfect SWR and it solves the issues of poor grounds on the aluminum body.

Jim-ME
01-09-2010, 09:08 PM
I've lived with CBs for more years than I can count. As far as I am concerned they are a waste of money. I have never had one last more than 2 years. If you really feel you need one get a handheld but don't bother with a permanent mount.
Jim

KevinNY
01-09-2010, 09:24 PM
I've had that mount with a Cobra 75WXST in that truck for 4 years of daily driving and hard wheeling from Moab to Nova Scotia. Handhelds have almost no range and have been largely useless on trail rides I have been on.

yorker
01-09-2010, 09:32 PM
I've had that mount with a Cobra 75WXST in that truck for 4 years of daily driving and hard wheeling from Moab to Nova Scotia. Handhelds have almost no range and have been largely useless on trail rides I have been on.

handheld CBs or handhelds (gmrs/frs) in general?

KevinNY
01-09-2010, 09:55 PM
Handheld CB's without a truck mounted antenna. FRS are better but then you can't communicate with the people with CB's. To me, a wheeling outing would be incomplete without the CB banter.

TeriAnn
01-10-2010, 09:07 AM
First thing I did was take a look at where the military mounted antennas on their Land Rovers. It seems they either used the wing tops or the rear side. Since I have a roof rack over the cab front I'm a wing walker and since I occasionally drive brush overgrown trails anything hung on the vehicle side is subject to removal by dense brush. I decided to mount a long antenna on the left rear just below the body cap rails.

First I used a standard ball mount. The way the Series rocks side to side on the trail causes the big whip antenna to swing side to side and after a fairly short time it overwhelmed my ball mount.

I built an aluminum mount based upon the design the military used for their long rear mounted whip antenna. Sorry I don't have any good pictures of the mount. The antenna has been in place for about 10 years now (same CD radio) and the new mount has worked brilliantly. I get a good a range as anyone else, often better, especially out to the front of the vehicle.

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/LR.images/GRrear98.jpeg
This 1997 picture shows the old ball mount. The side to side whipping of the antenna would loosen the mount's nut & the mount would rotate so it was dragging the antenna.

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/blog/blog-Jpegs/GRzion08lt.jpg
Unfortunately this is the best picture I currently have of the "new" antenna mount. It is basically '7' shaped with the mounting flanges on the inside. The top of the '7' has a stiffening flange on each side to keep everything rigid. No one has asked about my mount so I never got around to shooting a close up of it.