PDA

View Full Version : BULKHEAD GALVANIZING

MarkMukilteo
01-10-2010, 07:12 PM
Hey folks,

I'm tired of chipped paint and/or corrosion on the bulkhead of my 1966 SerIIa 88 "regular" and I'm thinking of having it sandblasted and galvanized at a shop nearby in Seattle.

Has anyone ever tried this?

Thanks,
Mark

jp-
01-10-2010, 07:17 PM
I've done two. they worked out great. Both had slight warping, that I was able to get straight. The only trouble is getting the paint to stick to it after your done!

In both cases, the warping was isolated to the footwells and the trans tunnel. I had no issues at all with the upper half of the bulkhead including either storage shelf.

Broadstone
01-10-2010, 07:27 PM
I did mine about 3 months ago. I am building a 73 88" onto a galvanized chassis so while everything was apart I galvyd the bulkhead, breakfast, rear tub supports, and a few other bits. I know people have talked about this several times on this forum. I am very happy with the results. I then epoxy primed it for good paint adhesion.

ignotus
01-10-2010, 07:37 PM
Brett does a great job of detailing his galvanizing job here;

http://www.gottdenerdesigns.com/galvanizing.html

gene

LaneRover
01-11-2010, 08:11 AM
Brett does a great job of detailing his galvanizing job here;

http://www.gottdenerdesigns.com/galvanizing.html

gene

Very interesting!

Eric W S
01-11-2010, 01:32 PM
Ike had mine dipped and my current f'd up one is also galvanizing.

There's a very special primer designed for galv. Any body shop should be able to spray it for you.

Jim-ME
01-11-2010, 02:12 PM
I don't believe that Ike paints over his galvanized bulkheads of at least some of the ones on his website don't look painted. If you did want to paint a galvanized bulkhead I would imagine that any quality etch primer would allow good paint adhesion but if I galvanize mine it won't be painted.
Jim

Tim Smith
01-11-2010, 02:21 PM
I think you also need to get that layer of greasy stuff off first. With my 109 frame, RN told me it's usually best to let it sit outside during rain storms and the acid rain does a good job of cleaning it off.

Of course, now that I think of it, I'm not sure if that is for all galvy items or just these frames which may have had a protective layer added for the shipping.

thixon
01-11-2010, 02:25 PM
A good epoxy primer will work fine over galvy. I have experience with nason fulpoxy myself. No issues.

Tim Smith
01-11-2010, 02:29 PM
Sort of related question. Can one dip galvanize over previously galvanized parts?

I'm thinking about refreshing the trim bits and also the bulkhead which had some electroplated galvanizing on the foot well pieces before I welded them in.

thixon
01-11-2010, 02:40 PM
Sort of related question. Can one dip galvanize over previously galvanized parts?

I'm thinking about refreshing the trim bits and also the bulkhead which had some electroplated galvanizing on the foot well pieces before I welded them in.

I'm sure people will respond with a "no," to this one, but yes you can. Most galvanizers will want the parts stripped (blasted), but some won't. I have parts in my garage at this moment that were re-dipped without being stripped of the original galvy. Any scaly rust was removed, but that's it.

Eric W S
01-12-2010, 07:19 PM
I don't believe that Ike paints over his galvanized bulkheads of at least some of the ones on his website don't look painted. If you did want to paint a galvanized bulkhead I would imagine that any quality etch primer would allow good paint adhesion but if I galvanize mine it won't be painted.
Jim

I can ask my body guy if you want. I know he is going to use a specific primer designed to be painted over and adhere to galv.

thixon
01-12-2010, 08:25 PM
I can ask my body guy if you want. I know he is going to use a specific primer designed to be painted over and adhere to galv.

My guess is you'll find its an epoxy primer. Post what you find out.

Mountain132
01-14-2010, 09:17 AM
Contacted Bay State galvanizing in Everett MA
$385 estimate to chemically stip and galvanize a bulkhead

http://www.baystategalvanizing.com/

thixon
01-14-2010, 10:06 AM
I'm sure people will respond with a "no," to this one, but yes you can. Most galvanizers will want the parts stripped (blasted), but some won't. I have parts in my garage at this moment that were re-dipped without being stripped of the original galvy. Any scaly rust was removed, but that's it.

Need to clarify. original galvy was not stripped by me (or the person who took the parts to the galvanizer). The galvanizer dealt with it himself.