PDA

View Full Version : Kind of new to tinkering with my Series III

Thomas
01-11-2010, 02:06 PM
I am looking to fix up my brakes with a new Wheel cylinder and master cylinder kits to maybe help my brakes out, they are so soft, sometimes I worry they may not work. This may seem like a dumb question, but I am not clear if I need CB or CV kit, can someone explain to me the difference?
Thanks, Tom

Jeff Aronson
01-11-2010, 02:46 PM
They are similar and they work the same, but the two units have different locations for the threaded fittings that connect the brake lines to the master cylinder. The CB/CV issue really affects Series II-A models only.

If you have a genuine Series III, then you should have the master cylinder with the dual circuit brake system. Why not take a photo of your brake reservoir/master cylinder and post it here? I'm sure that someone will recognize it and help you.

Before you start disassembling your brake system, you may want to diagnose the problem more completely.

By "soft brakes," do you mean that the pedal travels a long distance before any braking action, or has to be pumped a couple of times before the braking is effective? Or do you mean that when you push down on the pedal, it reaches a point where braking occurs but then the pedal slowly travels to the floor?

Also, are you losing any fluid out of the reservoir?

If not, then open the reservoir and look at the fluid. It should be amber, like thin maple syrup, and not gray or blackish in any way. If it is, then it's likely that the seals inside the master cylinder are deteriorating and that's why your pedal is soft.

A good test of a master cylinder is to start your car and then push hard on the brake pedal. Once it sets itself, does the pedal stay in place or slowing drop to the floor? If it does then you likely need a new master cylinder or to rebuilt the existing one.

Try these tests and let us know what you find.

Good luck,

Jeff

rovers2a
01-11-2010, 07:45 PM
your problem may be as simple as as adjusting the bakes, as they are adjustable... id start there snug up the adjusters, then slacken off a tad. it just may help you out.:thumb-up:

LaneRover
01-11-2010, 07:53 PM
your problem may be as simple as as adjusting the bakes, as they are adjustable... id start there snug up the adjusters, then slacken off a tad. it just may help you out.:thumb-up:

Or more importantly the brakes do not adjust themselves like on a newer vehicle.