PDA

View Full Version : coil chassis, 2.5 p?

rovers2a
01-12-2010, 06:48 PM
i have found forsale a 88 on coil chassi with 2.5 petrol engine. what are your thoughts on this? what are the 2.5s like? ive only had 2.25s in my rovers. tune up parts and the mentaince should be no different the a 2.25? coil chassis sounds good to. but again never been in a series with coils. i hope the pureist wont be scounding me.:D

spechols
01-12-2010, 08:20 PM
i have found forsale a 88 on coil chassi with 2.5 petrol engine. what are your thoughts on this? what are the 2.5s like? ive only had 2.25s in my rovers. tune up parts and the mentaince should be no different the a 2.25? coil chassis sounds good to. but again never been in a series with coils. i hope the pureist wont be scounding me.:D
I have an 88 on coils with a 2.5 petrol engine. It is a little more power than the 2.25 but not much. Parts are not too hard to get, but some are a little different and you need to know what you are doing (I often don't) or find someone that does. Many nuts and bolts are different threads and the starters are hard to find (well it was hard for me). I find myself often making parts substitutions when needed based on fit and price. That said - I am installing a 2.5 in another rover now, so I guess I like them.
The coils are nice. But, I am no purist.

Tim Smith
01-13-2010, 01:15 AM
Jump. On. It!

No seriously. Jump on it and make sure those are coils. :D

2.5 is an easy swap with a 2.25 so if you were in trouble, just find a 2.25 as a replacement. Don't let the engine stop you.

Jeff Aronson
01-13-2010, 07:57 AM
It does depend on who manufactured the coil chassis, but I have driven the ones installed by East Coast Rover. The coil spring chassis did give much more compliance over my leaf-spring Rover, so it drove with less drama. The coil spring chassis also had disc brake systems, which are simply easier to maintain and safer in modern operation.

I have parabolic leaf springs from Rovers North on my car and they do produce driving results closer to the coil spring on road experience. Of course, I still have drum brakes.

I love the stock approach to Land Rovers, but I also admit that Land Rover itself turned to coil springs for all their Defender, Range Rover, Discovery, LR 2-3-4 models. Obviously, they work just fine :).

I have no experience with the 2.5 engine, but it did become the standard engine after the 2.25 wheezed its last. It seems like lots of owners enjoy them. And, as noted above, you can always swap them out.

Good luck!

Jeff

TeriAnn
01-13-2010, 09:44 AM
Well lets see,

8:1 2.25 engine rated 70 HP @ 4000 RPM, 120 lbft @ 2000 RPM

8:1 2.5 engine rated 83 HP @ 4000 RPM, 133 lbft @ 2000 RPM

U.S. spec 2.25L has 3 main bearings, 2.5L engine has 5 main bearings & a much stronger bottom end.

US spec 2.25 uses imperial fixings, 2.5 is metric.

U.S. 2.25 has single barrel Solex/Zenith. 2.5 comes with a progressive 2 barrel Weber suited for the engine.

U.S. 2.25 uses a canister type oil filter. 2.5L uses a spin on oil filter.

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/LR.images/filterAdaptor.JPEG

Coil sprung frame usually means bolt on 1990's Land Rover axle assemblies with 4 wheel disc brakes.

If its all good, it seems such a hard decision to make. :rolleyes: