PDA

View Full Version : Reverse Light

xsbowes
01-15-2010, 01:19 PM
Has anyone installed a reverse light on their LR that didn't have one? I'm looking for photos of how and where to mount the switch so when I put the truck in reverse it comes on. I have a work light I'd like to use. I have an SIII gearbox.

Thanks

TeriAnn
01-15-2010, 01:30 PM
Has anyone installed a reverse light on their LR that didn't have one? I'm looking for photos of how and where to mount the switch so when I put the truck in reverse it comes on.

The switch mounts on the right side of the shifter base at the top of the gearbox. Green wire to switched 12V, green/black wire to backup lights. Sorry no pictures.

KevinNY
01-15-2010, 03:32 PM
Anyone know where I can get a reverse switch?

fishguy
01-15-2010, 03:41 PM
Has anyone installed a reverse light on their LR that didn't have one? I'm looking for photos of how and where to mount the switch so when I put the truck in reverse it comes on. I have a work light I'd like to use. I have an SIII gearbox.

Thanks

You can use a brakelight switch if you are creative...can try to post a pic next week

Terrys
01-15-2010, 03:54 PM
Anyone know where I can get a reverse switch?
Kevin, Get the one from RN, or George, that has a threaded shank. Seems to me it was about 5/16"x18.
Drill and tap a hole (for whatever the thread on the switch shank is) on the back of the shifter bracket, directly behind the reverse detent lever, so that when the lever comes up, it pushes the plunger on the switch in. Adjust it by threading the switch in or out to suit.

Leslie
01-15-2010, 05:25 PM
I replaced the rear panels on my tub, which eliminated the factory reverse lights (no big loss, IMHO). To have a reverse light, I mounted a Hella floodlight (a Picador, if I remember, it's a rectangular one), right above the tag light. I wired it to the factory reverse switch, which is, as TeriAnn said, on the base of the gearshift, so that it is pushed when the shifter is moved into reverse.

I'll look for a pic (I've posted 'em before in places...)

carl k
01-15-2010, 11:21 PM
Here's how the factory did it on USA market trucks. A switch attached to the gear selector cover and an arm on the reverse gate. The switch is Lucas and looks an awful lot like the brake light switches fitted to British motorcycles. Hope this helps.

Carl K.

fishguy
01-16-2010, 06:22 AM
Here's how the factory did it on USA market trucks. A switch attached to the gear selector cover and an arm on the reverse gate. The switch is Lucas and looks an awful lot like the brake light switches fitted to British motorcycles. Hope this helps.

Carl K.

That's what I chucked (full of grit, totally corroded, nonoperational and either unavailable or more than I wanted to spend and therefore no longer called for on this model) to do it with the brakelight switch...sounds like Terrys is also on the same track. On my selector bracket there was a preexisting hole that just needed to be tapped. When you select reverse the gate will actuate the button on the brake switch if you put it in the right spot.