PDA

View Full Version : Railko Conversion

utahseries
01-17-2010, 02:01 PM
Can anyone tell me the step by step process of the railko conversion? I''ve never done it, and I'm wondering just how it goes. It will be from a 1959 SII, so the steering arms will be on the top of the swivel housing. Any pics would be nice. I can't see how to get the splined pins out of the steering arms and such.
Thanks!

gudjeon
01-17-2010, 03:37 PM
I will give a brief version and you can ask away if gaps need to be filled in.
- Remove swivel housings from Rover.
- undo top and bottom bearing retainers/steering arms.
-keep shims, bolts/nut/studs, seal retainer retainer
- drill out small pin used to aid in retaining the splined shaft and bottom bearing shaft.
- These splined shaft is replaced with the one from the kit.
-These area very tight fit. I used a large hammer and brass drifts to remove and reinstall.
-You can redrill the pin hole and put in a new retaining pin if you like. (some say its rather redundant)
-The railco bush is put in place of the old bronze cup. These are a very tight fit as well. Some heating of the swivel may be needed to help installation.
-make sure the bushing and wafer has soaked in gear oil overnight.
-Reassemble housings, seals, swivel pins, and shims. Do not forget the wafer in the bottom of the Railco cup.
-Use a good assortment of new shims for set up.
-a fish scale can be used to set preload as per manual.
-I found my ser1 used quite a large number of shims to get proper spec, so I split them up on the top and bottom pin to make sure the chrome ball would remain centralized.
- I also set my preload at the top end of the specs so it will be some time before I have to readjust.:thumb-up:

Bertha
01-18-2010, 10:43 AM
- I also set my preload at the top end of the specs so it will be some time before I have to readjust.:thumb-up:

The pre-load of the railko's have different specs from the oe style. Both settings are in the green bible(which I don't have in front of me or I would have posted the figures)

yorker
01-18-2010, 03:46 PM
What is wrong with what you have right now?

utahseries
01-18-2010, 11:49 PM
alright, so maybe my steering arms are too coated in rust, but I am having a hard time finding the retaining pin for the splined shaft. Does anyone have a picture? or a more in depth description?

utahseries
01-19-2010, 12:03 AM
the bearings and swivels were toast, so when I bought my new swivels I bought the kit for greater compatability of parts with the other rovers

gudjeon
01-19-2010, 09:33 AM
I did this conversion on the ser1. A good and necessary "update" as the cone and spline set up was pretty much toast. The retaining pin is very small. need to give the pin housing a good wire brushing to find it. If not, just shear it out using a good press if possible.:thumb-up:

utahseries
01-19-2010, 11:14 AM
alright thanks!