PDA

View Full Version : Tips for applying CANVAK?

Firemanshort
01-17-2010, 09:50 PM
This week is the target for finally getting around to spraying my canvas top with some CANVAK treatment. It sounds like the garden sprayer is the easiest method to apply this - but I was wondering about a few details....

Do you spray it on or off the truck?
How to you prevent overspray on the truck and/or plastic windows? Will standard masking tape work?
Do you spray inside and out? (both sides of canvas?)
How long does it take to dry? (when can I put it back on the truck?)

Is there anything else I should know before I start on this?

1971Series88
03-04-2012, 11:40 AM
Firemanshort....did you get any answers to this? I just ordered my Canvak and need the same type of information.

Additionally, if you spray it on - does it matter if you get it on the plastic windows, or paint? I was wondering also if it is better to spray it while the canvas is on the truck, or off it.

I am really wondering if you need to do inside as well...that would mean taking it all off!

SafeAirOne
03-04-2012, 11:57 AM
Answer from the old G&R Archive:

http://gunsandrovers.yuku.com/reply/36839/Tips-for-spraying-CANVAK-on-your-canvas#reply-36839

Rat Patrol
03-04-2012, 02:40 PM
I used a 3" brush and applied extra over the seams. Sprayer seemed to be more mess potential than I wanted to deal with.

Firemanshort
03-04-2012, 03:50 PM
The G&R post covered it pretty well.

If I did it again, I would tape my windows. I would also tape / newspaper off the body. The stuff is just messy to get off the paint - not harmful, just messy.

The CANVAK is good ju-ju. My top looks like crud - but the water beads up like a freshly waxed car hood - it still beads like that today - and I store my truck mostly just outside parked on the street with no cover and in the weather.

It is stinky - but only for a few days.

TedW
03-04-2012, 04:13 PM
The CANVAK is good ju-ju. My top looks like crud - but the water beads up like a freshly waxed car hood - it still beads like that today - and I store my truck mostly just outside parked on the street with no cover and in the weather.

It is stinky - but only for a few days.

X2. I used a tree sprayer, gave it a good soaking, and washed my truck afterwards. No problem getting the overspray off the paint. For me, anyway.

1971Series88
03-04-2012, 06:47 PM
AWESOME - thanks guys...I forgot to look on G&R

I plan on spraying it on, and taping up the windows...I hope to get it done on Wed when we are supposed to have a 70 degree day :eek::eek:

Firemanshort
03-04-2012, 10:09 PM
I did not wash the overspray off my truck right away. I let everything sit for a few days. I was afraid of splashing soap and water on the newly coated canvas.

I wager that if I did carefully wash it soon after the spray that it would have come off a lot easier than after I let it set.

greenmeanie
03-05-2012, 12:12 PM
I just wipe the overspray into the MOD cabbage paint on the 101. The mil paint is rather water absorbent which can lead to rust if the original gloss paint has been removed at any time. A coat of the waxy stuff helps keep the rest of the truck water resistant too and saves me having to get too fussy with masking stuff so two jobs in one really.

1971Series88
03-14-2012, 05:18 PM
DO NOT get the Canvak on your hands, wear gloves...as they say you live and learn...this stuff really stinks!!!!!

BUT - applied all over the Canvas, it really soaked it up - glad it was 80 deg and no wind in VA today - I did it outside, and that really helped the fact that this stuff really stinks. :eek::eek::eek:

greenmeanie
03-15-2012, 12:42 PM
I rather like that smell.

Tsmith
04-02-2014, 09:43 AM
In an effort to get a few more seasons out of my very tired soft top, I plan to treat it with Canvak as suggested below. The inside has mildew stains and I plan to remove the cover, wash it to remove the stains, repair a small tear and reinstall it to dry on the frame. Then, after it dries, I'll apply the stinky stuff....does it work to prolong the life of the tops?

Fraserb
04-02-2014, 08:58 PM
I brushed on a good quality canvas tent waterproofer, great result
came in a 4 liter and used maybe half of it
I did mine with it spread on the driveway mid morning, put it back over the frame that afternoon and properly refitted the next day