PDA

View Full Version : LRL Magazine

xsbowes
01-18-2010, 02:43 PM
What happened to LRL magazine?
I tried to go to their website and it took me straight to the Land rover USA website.

http://www.lrlmagazine.com

yorker
01-18-2010, 04:14 PM
As far as I know they are kaput. I don't think they read the market very well- it seemed like a pretty lame magazine to me.

utahseries
01-18-2010, 11:34 PM
I agree, maybe if I was the type of person that rented helicopters for travel, and thought mud and caviar go together; I just might have found that magazine remotely interesting.

SafeAirOne
01-19-2010, 12:46 AM
I was resisting chiming in here, because I only saw a brief glimpse of what LRL was (presuming it is NLA) in an excerpt article somewhere on the interweb. Based on the one article from LRL I read, I'm not sure who their target audience was supposed to be, but I got the impression that it wasn't me.

I've been living what I believed to be the lower-key end of the Land Rover lifestyle for a few years now and have never found myself driving an $85,000 Range Rover out to some indian ruins in the desert to sip '85 Dom Perignon and eat truffle souffles off a table festooned with a white table cloth. I confess, this didn't all happen in the article I read, but I got the impression that this was the lifestyle the publisher was trying convey to the readership.

The folks who do that sort of thing don't really give a stuff about the sort of land rover lifestyle that most of us here lead; The sort of lifestyle where you don't return from a trip without greasy arms 20% of the time; The sort of lifestyle where oil changes are done in the driveway for $25 not at the dealer for $140; The sort of lifestyle where ANY model of Land Rover is spotted, identified and assessed in an instant from a quarter mile away; The sort of lifestyle where waves are ALWAYS exchanged between drivers of flat-winged rovers; The sort of lifestyle where turtle wax and chamois cloths are not welcome. I dare say THAT's the land rover lifestyle most of us are familiar with.

If only we could get a magazine trumpeting the glories of THAT sort of Land Rover lifestyle, a magazine that wasn't priced at $10/issue and imported from the UK, a magazine that was available at the Local Barnes and Noble. It'll never happen, of course. THAT Land Rover Community is too small from a magazine circulation and publishing standpoint. After all, the majority of the nation's Land/Range Rover drivers just want to look fashionable motoring about town in their Rovers, which is fine, but they'll never seek out a magazine dedicated to their car. Looks like I'll just wait for the next Rovers North News, with stories of real people doing real, sometimes exciting, sometimes not exciting, but always real, things. That and subscribe to the Overland Journal...

stomper
01-19-2010, 06:21 AM
Amen Mark! I got a couple of issues, as I used to own a 2000 Discovery Series II, and they just started sending it to me. Not the true lifestyle, as you described very accurately. I think they were trying to gain some brand loyalty with the newer generation of Land Rover owners. Lets face it, it will never impress us series owners.

KevinNY
01-19-2010, 09:53 AM
Mark,

I think That magazine is called The Rovers North News.

greenmeanie
01-19-2010, 10:12 AM
Landywave (http://www.landywave.com/)

Free on line series magazine. Like our hosts they even actively court membership conribution.

SafeAirOne
01-20-2010, 12:46 AM
Landywave (http://www.landywave.com/)

Free on line series magazine. Like our hosts they even actively court membership conribution.

Great link. Thanks!