PDA

View Full Version : Steering stabilizers/damper

crankin
01-19-2010, 03:46 PM
So, I have heard mixed opinions on the necessity of a steering damper. What’s the general thought on having one?

yorker
01-19-2010, 05:15 PM
not needed

Jeff Aronson
01-19-2010, 05:15 PM
With a properly adjusted steering box, tight tie rod and steering arm ends, and normal sized tires, I don't find a steering damper necessary. On my stock setup, the steering feels just fine and I don't get muck kickback offroad.

I might think differently if I ran much wider/higher tires, or installed a major lift kit.

But others should chime in with their experiences.

Jeff

rbonnett
01-19-2010, 08:08 PM
I replaced my tie rod ends last spring, and the alignment guy forgot to retighten the damper clamp onto the rod when he was done. I drove it for almost a week before I noticed it; trying to do a tight turn it slid along the rod and limited my steering. I don't seem to need one.

Andrew IIA
01-19-2010, 08:38 PM
not needed
x2. Haven't had one in years.. don't miss it :thumb-up:

Andrew

Tim Smith
01-20-2010, 01:25 AM
I ran into one spot around October and thank goodness I don't cross my fingers around the wheel.

On 33" tires I hit a stump on a hill climb I was intentionally failing to find the best approach. I was all planned out for the failed climb but not that bloody stump hidden about half way up (and down). Darned thing ripped the wheel from my hands a couple of times and on the last try it wrenched my thumb just right on a knuckle that was too close. No breaks in the hand but it could have been close. Although, I'm not sure if a damper would have helped either.

I say no need for a damper so long as you keep your fingers out from the inside of the steering wheel.

Long rocky trails? I might say different.

LaneRover
01-20-2010, 08:40 AM
none of mine has ever had a steering damper under my ownership

TeriAnn
01-20-2010, 10:09 AM
I installed one almost 30 years ago because I thought it was what real off roaders had. I could never feel the difference with it there or not there.

It is still there because it never seemed worth the effort to take it off (Lazy bugger syndrome) and what's the use of having something if you don't use it. If I replace the tie rods I don't expect to bolt the dampener to the new ones.

I would advise you to think of a different present to give your Land Rover.

BackInA88
01-20-2010, 04:00 PM
Never had one or felt I needed it.

Steve