PDA

View Full Version : No power to windshield wiper motor

crankin
01-20-2010, 10:04 PM
On my journey of wiring everything back up with a new harness, I can not get power to my wiper motor.

I can run 12v from the fuse > the wiper switch > and then onto the connector attached to the motor. On the underside of this connector there are three wires (blue, yellow, and red) if I unplug them and test the copper plugs...I get nothing.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_dcAzqvv_A6U/S1fQMC6QohI/AAAAAAAAAzQ/VTC7Pnpxieg/s800/IMG00070.jpg

Should I be getting 12v on these copper plugs? I believe this is why I have no power to the wiper motor. Thoughts...input?

TeriAnn
01-20-2010, 10:28 PM
Well lets see, on the black connector on top the green/red wire should be the left turn signal circuit, the green white wire should be part of the right turn signal circuit.

I really can't see enough of the lower set of wires to hazard a guess. It can also depend if it is single speed or dual speed motor. But I don't see any power going in.

If you have a 2 speed motor & stock switch I can give you corresponding pin numbers. That I'll have to look up. I can't help if you have a single speed motor.

crankin
01-20-2010, 10:38 PM
Well, I am in luck.... I do have a 2 speed motor & stock switch.

My left and right turn signals are working fine. How can I test to see if my motor is still good?

SafeAirOne
01-20-2010, 11:37 PM
Wiper circuit from the SIII bible. I THINK this is a 2-speed, since it has 3 wires (slow, slower and park):

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4041/4291784411_73181db16d_o.jpg

brucejohn
01-21-2010, 06:12 AM
So, you have black, brown with light green stripe (nlg) and red with light green stripe (rlg) coming into the block from switch and black, yellow and red headed to motor with no power on the yellow, red side?

Have you unplugged and tested power to the nlg and rlg wires?

Have you tried pulling the black, yellow and/or red to ground and apply power directly to test the motor?

crankin
01-21-2010, 08:24 AM
Well, its actually a BLUE, yellow and red headed to motor with no power on the yellow, red, and blue side.

I can get power up to the underside of the block.

How would I apply power directly to the motor?

TeriAnn
01-21-2010, 10:18 AM
Well, its actually a BLUE, yellow and red headed to motor with no power on the yellow, red, and blue side.
I can get power up to the underside of the block.

There is something very not stock about the wire insulation in your truck or how you are connecting the wires. Solid blue is supposed to be the wire between the headlamp power switch and the dip switch carrying power to the headlamps. Solid red is parking, tail and instrument panel light power and solid yellow is generator connections wired through the ignition switch. None should have anything to do with the wiper motor. I'd be more apt to believe the connector was associated with a SIII light stalk than the wiper motor.

Sorry but to be any help at all I would need to see the actual wiring and play with it with a multi meter. The wire insulation colours are just all wrong for what you are using them for.

brucejohn
01-21-2010, 07:21 PM

Crankin, I have a pair of alligator clips on each end of a red and a black wire, respectively, so I can run a direct connection to whatever I am working on to make sure it works before I start chasing my tail around this old wiring. Once I know that I start working backwards with my wires and/or multi-meter.

...bj

SafeAirOne
01-22-2010, 06:49 AM
Well, according to the wiring diagram, there should be one wire going to the switch that ALWAYS has 12 volts no matter what position the switch is in (the feed wire from the fuese panel. The other 3 wires should only have voltage in certain switch positions--One in the "off" position to park the wipers, one in the low position, one in the high position. I'm guessing that this is the way this switch works and should be fairly easy to check at the switch. Of course, with all the non-standard wiring, this may differ.

To apply power directly to the wiper motor, make a jumper wire and run it from a 12v source (like the positive terminal of the battery) to one power wire on the motor at a time. Make sure that the motor is properly grounded or it isn't going to work.

crankin
01-22-2010, 07:51 AM
Well, I check everything and still nothing. Which tells me that I am buying a new wiper motor. Yay. :(

SafeAirOne
01-22-2010, 07:54 AM
Well, I check everything and still nothing. Which tells me that I am buying a new wiper motor. Yay. :(

Ahh. so presumably you have good power going to the wiper motor. The ground is sound too?

crankin
01-22-2010, 08:15 AM
Yes. I can carry 12v all the way to the top of the "off white" connector. I took the connector apart and it is a static connector. There are five copper pins carrying power. I can then get the 12v to pass through this connecter. But no power to the motor....

Next, I took the green wire that has teh steady 12v and hooked it up start to the motor...still nothing.

Looks like the motor...