PDA

View Full Version : Where to Find A Brake Booster Check Valve Fitting to Fit my SIII 109"

bullstanky
01-21-2010, 12:02 PM
Gents - Recently while working on my brakes I inadvertently broke the plastic 90 degree threaded pipe fitting where the vacuum line coming off the engine goes into the brake booster. The fitting (threaded on one end, with a hose barb on the other) connected to a vacuum line with an inline check valve, so the fitting itself had no valve in it.

After trying in vain to find a pipe fitting that would work (there is a rubber grommet type washer that it fits into with a 9/16" opening), I special ordered a new fitting with built in check valve from our hosts. The problem is, the threaded end of this check valve is about 7/8"--way too big for the 9/16" opening. Here's the question--does anybody have or know where to source a 90 degree fitting with a hose barb on one end and threaded on the other end to fit a 9/16" opening? Or, can I carefully drill out the hole on my brake booster to fit the larger fitting?

greenmeanie
01-21-2010, 12:43 PM
I'd post up a picture of your servo and a picture of the broken fitting. I say this because the description does not sound like the stock part in which case your only hope is that someone may recognize what the servo came off.

The standard STC1816 booster has a rubber grommit but one end of the fitting is a hose barb and the other is simply a push in style barb that locks it into place in the rubber grommit.

bullstanky
01-21-2010, 12:52 PM
The standard STC1816 booster has a rubber grommit but one end of the fitting is a hose barb and the other is simply a push in style barb that locks it into place in the rubber grommit.

The part is as you described--one end with a hose barb one the other end pushes into the grommet--though it is not smooth on that end. I guess you would say that it is ribbed rather than threaded. The following is a link to a similar part--I'll post a pic of the actual part later. http://fordification.net/board/brakebooster_checkvalve.jpg

bullstanky
01-21-2010, 01:16 PM
I'd post up a picture of your servo and a picture of the broken fitting

The broken fitting is in the landfill (doh!), but the following link is to an image of what this type of part looks like

http://www.fittings-adapters.com/uploads/photo/Hose%20Barb%20Fittings/Standard%20Hose%20Barbs/Male_Pipe_90_Elbow.jpg

greenmeanie
01-21-2010, 01:23 PM
Try your local auto shop as my bet is you'll find that is a generic or domestic car part. Napa will usually let me peruse their cross reference books.

bullstanky
01-21-2010, 02:40 PM
Try your local auto shop as my bet is you'll find that is a generic or domestic car part. Napa will usually let me peruse their cross reference books.

It seems like it would be an easy part to find, right? The problem with the autoparts stores is that every part is listed by application. I always get the same look from the guy behind the counter when he asks for the year make and model, and I say Land Rover Series three, year unknown......the look typically says "good luck buddy".....

And sadly, even in the cross reference books, you don't always get good notes on dimensions or specifications

greenmeanie
01-21-2010, 02:55 PM
Post a picture of the servo and master cyl. Also measure the hole without the grommit in the servo housing.

This means that we can determine if the servo is an original. If it is not original you might get lucky and someone will ID it for you. Alternatively look for any part numbers on the servo. Its a long shot but it may provide a cross reference.

greenmeanie
01-21-2010, 03:08 PM
If it helps the non return valves used on Rovers up to a Disco 1 that I know of are:
8G8953L - Stock series
STC780
STC493
RTC5636

You might phone our host and ask them to check the sizes for you.

bullstanky
01-21-2010, 05:34 PM
If it helps the non return valves used on Rovers up to a Disco 1 that I know of are:
8G8953L - Stock series
STC780
STC493
RTC5636

You might phone our host and ask them to check the sizes for you.

The servo doesn't have any markings on it, but does have a plastic band with the following: 68898 PO5 OG35

The part I received that is too large is 18G953L

Les Parker
01-22-2010, 10:46 AM
Please send a clear picture of the servo and master cylinder.
I check our variances to see if we can assist.

bullstanky
01-24-2010, 08:01 AM
Please send a clear picture of the servo and master cylinder.

Pictures of the servo and master cylinder are below:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4003/4297451379_22ff4f87c3_o.gif

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4057/4298190688_46004a1d2b_o.gif

greenmeanie
01-25-2010, 11:12 AM
From your pictures it looks like you've got a stock servo assited single circuit brake system. The picture does not show it well because the servo has been installed upside down (not a big deal) but the hole for the vacuum line is in the 6 o'clock position. The stock valve (8G8953L ) and grommit should fit this hole. Its been a while since I fitted one but I remember there was a specific order that made fitting easy. I think you had to put the grommit in first and then push the fitting in afterwards. A little soap for lubrication was required.

Les Parker
01-26-2010, 02:02 PM
For some reason I cannot down load the pix.
Can you try another, clearer method?
Tks.

4flattires
01-26-2010, 07:18 PM
..but does this pic help?

Jeff