PDA

View Full Version : Detroit locker

JimCT
01-22-2010, 03:47 PM
Finally got around to installing a Detroit locker in our ambulance's Salisbury diff. Actually pretty easy all things considered. Off to the trails tomorrow to see how it works. Getting it ready for the Winter Romp.

uralrover
02-05-2010, 05:35 PM
Well how well did it work. How long did it take to install and where did you source it. Looking one for my series III 88 and am interested to here how your efforts went and what suggestions you could add before I try and have a go at it.

JimCT
02-06-2010, 08:37 AM
it works great, something I should have done years ago. You need to have a Salisbury diff. Took less than three hours. So much better in the woods and in snow and ice

KingSlug
02-06-2010, 08:40 AM
The only thing I would consider is to carry some extra rear drive members. Or did you get HD drive members when you bought your GBR axles?

I wouldn't suggest a DL for a 88, especially with the rover 3rd member and axles. On a longer and heavier vehicle like the 109 ambulance with a Sals the DL seem be tamed down, and have none of the ill traits except for when you pull into a parking space.

Jared

JimCT
02-06-2010, 08:54 AM
We are using aussie built axles and hub flanges after breaking a Salisbury axle with the open diff. The Detroit is reworked of late, soft locker and you really don't hear anything even on a sharp turn. Can walk up bedrock steps so much slower, not needing momentum, so I think it will be much easier on the ambulance in general.

yorker
02-06-2010, 11:08 AM
For an 88" still using stock 10 spline axles the Truetrac might be a better option for most people. At least that is my theory.

LWB+24 spline axles would make a Detroit more viable. Automatic lockers in a SWB can be screwy at times- slippery side hills and on snowy roads.

SafeAirOne
02-06-2010, 03:27 PM
We are using aussie built axles and hub flanges after breaking a Salisbury axle with the open diff.

Any possiblility of detailing the conditions under which your Salisbury axle broke? Perhaps a subject for a new thread, but I'm curious to know what it would take to break my rear axles.

Thanks!

JimCT
02-06-2010, 03:57 PM
We did nothing extreme at all, and it broke like most of my LR axles have, pulling away from a stop sign. Bill at GB said they are not as bullet proof as one might think, and that the Aussies break them all the time, hence their up-graded axles and drive flanges. Believe me I was surprised, thought i was done with broken axles. Knock on wood but so far so good.

yorker
02-06-2010, 04:51 PM
To put things in perspective:
Suzuki Samurai axles are 1.05" and 26 spline
Land Rover 10 spline axles are 1.10"
Dana 30/35 are 27 spline 1.16"
Salisbury and Rover 24 spline axles are 1.24"
GM 10 bolt 28 spline 1.285"
Toyota 30 spline axles are 1.30"
Dana 44 30 spline 1.31"
Dana 60 35 spline axles are 1.5"

GM 14 bolt:
30 spline-Spline Diameter (yellow arrow) 1.59""Neckdown" (green arrow) 1.367"Operating diameter (purple arrow) 1.351"Spline length (blue arrow) 2.165"Spline engagement (red arrow) short side 1.418"Spline engagement (red arrow) long side 1.569"

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/14b_bible/images/DCP_6513.jpg

luckyjoe
08-16-2011, 03:06 PM
Jim,

Are you still pleased with a Detroit in the Salisbury? ANy issues at all?

I'm thinking of doing the same in my 109 2-door hardtop...

JimCT
08-16-2011, 04:12 PM
The locker was probably one of the best things we have done to the truck. Walks through things on the trail that would surprise most folks. Great in the snow last winter too.

amcordo
08-17-2011, 07:58 AM
This brings up some questions from me. I have yet to learn much about axels, so here goes.

I have Stage 1 V8 axels on my ride. Out of the box are they 24 spline, right?

If so, that means this is the correct DL for me, right?
EAT225SL36
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Drivetrain-and-Differentials/Detroit-Locker-Differential.aspx?t_c=12&t_s=237&t_pt=5589&t_pl=5458&t_pn=EAT225SL36

I Leak Oil
08-17-2011, 08:08 AM
That one is for 3.54 gear sets. Your's is most likely 4.7's right? I'm not a Detroit expert but I think if it does fit you would likely need a ring gear spacer. You'd be better off pursuing a unit made specifically for the 4.7's if they make one.

amcordo
08-17-2011, 01:01 PM
That one is for 3.54 gear sets. Your's is most likely 4.7's right? I'm not a Detroit expert but I think if it does fit you would likely need a ring gear spacer. You'd be better off pursuing a unit made specifically for the 4.7's if they make one.

I'm not sure what I've got. I just don't know enough about axels - I just know that the PO said they were the v8 ones. :(

mongoswede
08-17-2011, 01:36 PM
This brings up some questions from me. I have yet to learn much about axels, so here goes.

I have Stage 1 V8 axels on my ride. Out of the box are they 24 spline, right?

If so, that means this is the correct DL for me, right?
EAT225SL36
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Drivetrain-and-Differentials/Detroit-Locker-Differential.aspx?t_c=12&t_s=237&t_pt=5589&t_pl=5458&t_pn=EAT225SL36

take a photo and post them here...will help the rest of us identify what you have.

Firemanshort
08-17-2011, 04:45 PM
Stage One axles are based on RR axles and have 3.54 gearing in the diff's.

Stage One's used a Sauls rear end as all but a very few were in the 109 configuration.

As with all Land Rover hybrid builds, so many parts interchange, so it is hard to say firm and fast what you have.

Cutter
08-17-2011, 08:10 PM
Who's a good supplier? I have been thinking about doing this in my 109's sals rear axle and was only worried it would require some special tools to install?

SafeAirOne
08-17-2011, 09:41 PM
I figure that Great Basin Rovers and Lucky 8 are both probably pretty Rover-knowledgable suppliers of lockers for Salisburys. Probably a few others around, but these 2 suppliers come to mind immediately.

Several Rover shop owners (and non-shop owners) on this board that are likely very familiar with lockers for Salisburys too, though you specified suppliers.

east high
08-18-2011, 12:22 AM
For an 88" still using stock 10 spline axles the Truetrac might be a better option for most people. At least that is my theory.

LWB+24 spline axles would make a Detroit more viable. Automatic lockers in a SWB can be screwy at times- slippery side hills and on snowy roads.

You talking about this?

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Drivetrain-and-Differentials/Detroit-TrueTrac-Differential.aspx?t_c=12&t_s=237&t_pt=5589&t_pl=5459&t_pn=EAT910A400

LR Max
08-18-2011, 11:47 PM
225SL36 is the correct part number. Check this application guide for more information:

http://www.eaton.com/ecm/groups/public/@pub/@eaton/@per/documents/content/ct_128302.pdf

Remember that the Detroit Locker for the Salisbury is the same as a lunchbox locker, NOT a carrier replacement locker. Since the carrier in the series and defenders are the same, they use the same locker. Doesn't matter what R&P you use since you won't touch the ring or pinion.

I Leak Oil
08-19-2011, 04:47 AM
[QUOTE=LR Max;73608]Remember that the Detroit Locker for the Salisbury is the same as a lunchbox locker, NOT a carrier replacement locker. /QUOTE]

Well that certainly simplifies things now doesn't it!

NickDawson
09-04-2011, 09:47 AM
Very helpful thread, thanks gang.
I've been thinking about a DL for my 88 III - sounds like there are some valid concerns about side hills and snow...the two things that freak me out in terms of roll over and sideways sliding. I'd hate to exacerbate that problem in a SWB truck.

JimCT
09-04-2011, 10:16 AM
If it is that slippery you should be running chains , which will make the DL magic!

luckyjoe
09-06-2011, 09:06 AM
I'm still mulling the Detroit over. It all started with installing a Salisbury for peace of mind (no more 10-spline failures). Wanting a rear traction diff, I began weighing the trade-offs between the Detroit and Trutrac. On paper, the TT looks like the all around solution for daily driving and East Coast trails. But in really difficult terrain, the Detroit would seem to allow for lower speed and less abuse of the truck.

My main concern is if the Detroit adds too much stress to the axles in daily driving and trailer towing, basically putting me back in the 10-splines scenario?

Sputnicker
09-06-2011, 11:38 AM
One of the advantages of installing the Detroit locker (applies to True-Trac and ARB as well) is the opportunity to dump the 10-spline axles. I recently installed a Detroit Locker and 24-spline axles from Series Trek in my 88 and am pleased with the performance. It was also an opportunity to have a beefier ring and pinion supplied by Great Basin Rovers. There's a bit of throttle steering and the odd clicks and clunks as the locker goes in and out of engagement, but I quickly got used to it. Haven't tried it yet in slippery conditions. My criteria was to eliminate two of the most common drive train failures (axles and diffs) while enhancing off-road performance. I like the legacy and operational simplicity of the Detroit Locker, but there are good arguments for True Tracs and ARBs as well. I live in the Southwest and don't contend with snow very often. If I lived with more snow, I might rethink my criteria. My $.02.

LR Max
09-12-2011, 01:46 PM
My main concern is if the Detroit adds too much stress to the axles in daily driving and trailer towing, basically putting me back in the 10-splines scenario?

No. Just keep air in the tires and it is fine. Whenever I've had issues with my salisbury it is because I had one tire at 30 PSI and the other at 15. Drive like this for like, 6 months and it kills shafts and drive flanges.

But the one nice thing with the salisbury + detroit is if you do break something, you say, "I think we broke something" and then the truck starts driving a little goofy. But it keeps going.

As for snow, when snowpocalypse hit Atlanta, I just drove around without any problems, usually in 2WD most of the time. I did have issues on a sheet of ice on a short, steep hill but that was it. I think it says something when an inexperienced lead foot who has no idea what to do with the sneaky water had no real issues. I would drop it into 4 low when pulling people up hills and other general shenanigans. Heck I even got on the weather channel when I goosed it in 2nd and shuffled the steering wheel as fast as I could.

Only problem I had that week was my lighter ran outta juice. Now I keep matches in the console for just such emergencies. That was my life lesson.

luckyjoe
09-12-2011, 02:25 PM
OK, thanks a lot Max. Just when I make a decision, here you come tempting me back to the other side! In all seriousness, I want the Detroit, but for some reason I can't shake the feeling I should get the TT....

lrdukdog
09-12-2011, 02:37 PM
OK, thanks a lot Max. Just when I make a decision, here you come tempting me back to the other side! In all seriousness, I want the Detroit, but for some reason I can't shake the feeling I should get the TT....

Well, just put the TT in the front and the Detroit in the rear. Unstoppable!!
Jim Wolf

LR Max
09-13-2011, 11:29 AM

Well the detroit is cheaper and easier to install. Go detroit and if you don't like it, it is easy to pull out and re-sell. Heck you don't even have to pull the ring gear to install it.

I checked my detroit back in 08 (5 years in use) and there was a little wear, but other than that it looked like it was in great shape.

luckyjoe
01-19-2012, 12:46 PM
As fate would have it, Eaton never actually made the TT version for a 4.7 Salisbury. So, I'm now going max traction with a rear Detroit. Can't wait to get it installed and hit the trails!

Kullberg
05-11-2012, 01:51 AM
Hi JimCT,
I have a 1966 109 5 door and i'm looking for lockers, do you know the part # for the lockers
Thanks

yorker
05-11-2012, 05:28 AM
187SL-174A is the 10 spline Detroit. It requires a ring gear spacer to use in a Series LR.6376