PDA

View Full Version : 300 Tdi Conversion Questions

Guinness
01-24-2010, 12:54 PM
What are the restrictions of converting a EFI 3.9L NAS Defender 90 to a 300 Tdi Diesel?
I believe Rovers North offered a conversion kit years ago and ECR has done this with several Defenders.
I looked online and several wreckers in the UK offer 300 Tdi engines with R380 and LT230 (1.4 ratio) as kits but it seems risky to shell out $$$ to an overseas company.

I understand these engines are not EPA approved. How do so many US 300 Tdi Defender owners get past this? I do not want to dump $$$ into this only for customs seize the shipping or to have my truck fail a smog test.

Thanks...

JimC
01-24-2010, 01:00 PM
It basically amounts to individuals versus companies performing the work and the laws of the state where the vehicle will be used. Some companies will do whatever you want to a truck as long as it leaves on a transporter and you indicate you won't use the vehicle on the road. My state has a provision for engine conversions and will actually change your title if you certify that the work was completed. The EPA is against conversions, so there is ambiguity in the law. You simply need to read all the relevant docs, talk to your state, and determine how the law applies to you. Lots of people run these motors, and some companies have been told to stop selling them. Its a legal morass in many ways: even though you can find black-letter federal law prohibiting engine conversions, many states still think its OK and will tacitly approve it.

hillstrubl
01-30-2010, 02:58 PM
I'd like to know as well...

Guinness
01-31-2010, 04:33 PM
What/who supplies 300 Tdi conversion kits/parts in the USA for the "do it yourself" D90 owner?

JimC
02-05-2010, 03:26 PM
No one. You have to do all the homework and get the parts together yourself. Many vendors have many of the necessary parts, but availability is a hit or miss thing, and no one is going to have a "kit" available for one-stop shopping. You'll have to source your motor, find a trans, and then decide how "correctly" you want to do your swap. You can then buy all the correct other parts, or just "make it work." But if you are looking for a kit with instructions, you'll never find it.

junkyddog11
02-05-2010, 07:58 PM
You used to be able to buy a conversion Kit from Rover.
I still have one at the shop but it is sold. I have copies of the factory conversion instructions which come with a pretty good parts list.