PDA

View Full Version : Stuttering

Pete
01-24-2010, 03:16 PM
Took the Rover out for a drive today. Started great, idled great etc. Headed down the road everything was good got into 4th gear and the truck started to stutter and buck. Let off the gas to stop the bucking....stepped on the gas for it to continue. Pulled over, started moving again, shifted through all the gears got to 4th and it stated again.

SIII, Weber, new dist and wiring. New fuel pump, inline filter which is full.

Thoughts.

Pete

Jeff Aronson
01-24-2010, 06:06 PM
Just for the heck of it, check your points gap.

Another, less likely possibility, is a coil problem. A failing coil will cause an electrical breakdown under load, which feels like bucking. Can you accelerate the car without hesitation when it is in neutral? If it starts to buck on the road again, see if you can do that while you're coasting out of gear. Putting the car in gear adds to the engine load, and the coil is not sending out enough current to keep the ignition firing. If you have access to a portable tach, it would show you the coil breakdown as you rev the engine, even if you could not discern it by listening alone.

This next thought depends on where you live, but my Weber has constant problems with carb icing as the temperature approaches 32F. Your symptons describe carb icing, but it will usually disappear once the engine is really warm. I have to run dry gas here most of the winter. The carb is getting plenty of fuel but the gas running through the carb body sucks away heat and actually forces water vapor to freeze. As you are slowing down because it's not running right, you thaw out the gas again.

Try running the car up a hill, or in a higher gear than usual, to see if you can recreate the symptoms. Let us know what you find.

Jeff

Pete
01-25-2010, 08:57 AM
Thanks Jeff. I am in Maine also but don't think carb icing was the issue. The truck was hot and the temp outside was pretty warm. I'm going to try a few things hopefully this afternoon.

Tim Smith
01-25-2010, 09:06 AM
Try blowing out the fuel line into the tank. I had a similar problem with the passenger side tank and eventually I couldn't even idle off of it. Changed the filter, blew out the line and voila. :thumb-up:

Linus Tremaine
01-25-2010, 09:34 AM
Do you have the two barrell weber? I got the two barell and a new fuel pump on my 2.25. It would buck when I really had my foot in it. I found that the fuel pump (that I replaced just for the heck of it) was not able to supply enough fuel for the carb. I orderd another- same problem. I ordered another- same problem. I put the old on back on and its all fixed. Sold the truck threee years ago- its still got that same pump.

glbft1
01-25-2010, 11:13 AM
I had the same problem also have a webber carb, installed a new fuel pump nada, found some advice here and they recommended installing a new style fuel pump without the glass bowl , it runs a slightly pressure and the problem was solved!:thumb-up:
it is available from our hosts good luck
greg