PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Bearing Installation

thixon
01-24-2010, 08:58 PM
Thought I'd share a neat trick for installing bearing races.

My bearing press had a major malfunction recently, and requires some welding to fix it. Well, my mig gun is also malfunctioning, and I'm out of argon for my TIG. I really, really wanted to finish my hubs this weekend, and was commenting on this to a buddy. The idea he shared is so obvious and easy, that I feel like a giant doofus for not figuring it out on my own.:D

After listening to him, buying him a sixer, and praising him for his ingenuity, here is what I did.
I used the old races to tap in the new ones, but first I cranked up the bench grinder, and made several passes on the outside of the old races. I decreased the outer diameter enough so that they would drop in, and fall back out. Presto, new tools for tapping in the new races. Apply some heat, stack the newly made tool on top of the new race, start tapping and it works like a charm.

TJR
01-26-2010, 11:32 AM
Cool tip which should work well.

I save old bearing races from many applications to be used for the same method. The make great press adaptors.
Though i ususally just make a single die grinder through-cut in the race rather than grind the OD. I then deburr it and use it as a driver w/ or without a press. The cut allows the race to spring and not get stuck to an ID or OD.

Also removing pressed-on bearings races on shafts can be done easily with out a bearing splitter and press if you first cut off the outer race and then remove the balls and cage. Die grind a cut 3/4 through the inner race and then smack the cut w/ a ball peen hammer. The inner race should split and will now easily slide off. It can be used as is a driver for the replacment bearing.

...Talbot

SafeAirOne
01-26-2010, 11:49 AM
I'm not nearly as sophisticated. I just drift mine off with a flat punch and lots of tapping around the circumference of the old race. I install the new ones using my bearing race installation tool and my favorite ball-peen hammer.

thixon
01-26-2010, 02:53 PM
TJR,

Good info. I did'nt think of a single cross cut. I only took a couple minutes each race on the grinder, but that would have been much faster.

Safeair, I usually do the same! I've destroyed more puches than I care to admit.