PDA

View Full Version : Specification - Series III MOD

CCRLRH
01-25-2010, 02:43 PM
Hello all,
I'm a jeep guy with a long time appreciation for Rovers, and am looking for the right one to use as a family camper and expedition rig with our one year old son. I currently have a 2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon LWB, which I love, and a 1979 Jeep CJ-5, which is in the middle of a frame-off resto. I rock crawl with the Rubi, but the CJ is going to be built back to stock specification. I just have a thing for old iron and think it deserves to be kept original!

Anyway, came across this Series III and was curious what the major differences are between this and a civilian Series III, specifically axles rated duty and gear ratios. Obviously electric system is 24V, it has a military ("no") interior, etc.

The link is: http://sites.google.com/site/seriesiiilandroveramanda/-amanda-homepage

Honestly it's probably not the right rig for us, need a bit more time to finish the CJ-5 and get it out of the way before bringing more old metal in! But never to early to start learning -

Thanks and best regards
Chris

greenmeanie
01-25-2010, 03:02 PM
That would appear to be a 109 GS FFR that has been modified to some degree. The MOD did not use the 6 cylinder engine in these trucks so you'd need to find out what has been done to it. It would have come with a standard Rover 2 1/4 4 pot engine with a military dual pulley and fan.

Other than that the drivetrain is the same as a civilian truck of that year. Rover type front axle which may have some strengthening gussets and Salisbury rear. Heavy duty springs which give a solid ride. Diffs are 4.70s.

If it is a true GS then it has a heavy duty military chassis with taller spring hangers that allow you to place the shackles in two positions to give extra ride height. The chassis has a squared off rear cross member and a NATO tow hitch.

The 24V electric system can be fun. It is relaible enough but the generator and its disctribution box can be a handful until you get to understand them.

Jeff Aronson
01-25-2010, 03:17 PM
I quote from the ad:

- Minor rust on windshield base – that is all.

The windshield "base" is actually part of the bulkhead or firewall. Rust there can be difficult to repair, although the pieces are available. I predict that you can find 109's without the potential headache of the 2.6 L six [a better engine in Rover cars than in Land Rovers] and 24v electrics.

If you ask I bet you can find a Rover enthusiast to visit the truck with you or for you.

Good luck!

Jeff

CCRLRH
01-25-2010, 03:28 PM
Thanks all, great info.

Probably not the right one for me, at least not yet...have read some about the troubles guys have getting military M-715 jeeps and 1-1/4 ton Chevy trucks to run properly, so I understand what you mean about the 24V electrics and other quirks!

From what I have read online, it doesn't sound like the military versions have significantly different drivetrains than civilian versions, so what you have said backs that up. That's interesting; in the jeep world there's a big difference between, for example, the J4000 pickups and M-715 trucks.

Also saw this one out in NJ - doesn't meet the need of a family camper, but sure looks great! The wife offered to sell her car and drive this around town instead - she is awesome!

Are there any big "gotchas" on this listing?

link: http://newyork.craigslist.org/jsy/cto/1559635150.html

Definitely agree with bringing a Rover enthusiast along to look....good idea.

BTW - my interest in Rovers started with the Camel Trophy that was on TV when I was young, grew up watching it...was so disappointed when they ended the series!

rovers2a
01-25-2010, 04:46 PM
as mentioned before there will be a beefer chassis, called high lift chassis. two inches taller then civi, it will have a salasbury rear axle, it may have 24 spline front axle and strengthened front axle caseing, it may have a suffix d transmission. the lights will be waterproof and screw type lenses. you will have twin fuel tanks with cross over valve, it will have a drop out transmission cross member, makes it easier to remove tranny from the bottom instead of removing the seat base and with drawing from the top. cool trucks though. i had one. mine was 1983. 24 volt charging if not working properly can be expensive to replace generator and regulator panel. some info here http://www.winwaed.com/landy/landies.shtml

rovers2a
01-25-2010, 04:55 PM
the blue 109 is on a mil spec high lift chassis but it is fitted with parbolic springs. it sits a little bit taller. also tires are a little bigger to. my MOD 109 only had one speed wipers.

CCRLRH
01-25-2010, 08:31 PM
Thanks again for the info guys. Good stuff about the Salisbury rear - I have a great book by Randy Lyman (Randy's Ring & Pinion) that has tons of axle info, will have to check it out in more detail - if it's in there, probably is!

The book is about $30 if anybody is interested - really a great reference

http://www.ringpinion.com/DiffBook.aspx

Kinda interested in finding out a little more about it, with the reinforced frame and the higher springs it might make a pretty good base for a camper buildup....the wife keeps mentioning that blue SWB in NJ!

derekchace
01-25-2010, 08:52 PM
I have a nice Lightweight for sale on ebay if your interested.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250569322631&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMESELX%3AIT

rovers2a
01-25-2010, 09:09 PM
they say the salsbury is a dana 60. id look into a 109 land rover. might make a better platform for you. it will hold more camping equipment. but you can cram a lot of crap into an 88 though. but you will start to bust axles shafts and diffs. you really got to puppy land rovers especially if you got a heavy right foot. you can add toy diffs and http://www.seriestrek.com/axles.html axles. great conversion. i had e lockers. bought em from marlin crawler . check out inch worm as well. might want to look into a j@@p scrambler as your familer with them. but heck look at me im starting to look a bj 42s just to chage it up a bit.:nono:

rovers2a
01-25-2010, 09:20 PM
add a roof rack, your wife and child, all the camping gear and all that weight into an 88 and expect no more then 50 60 mph tops. forget about overdrives and freewheel hubs, they lead to problems at the most un expected times. take one for a long test drive to make sure its what you want. id hate to see you be disapointed with performance of the good old landy. especially if your use to running v8s in jeeps. even consider looking into a defender they got the v8s in there. hope it helps. trying to be straight up, and not lead you down the garden path. keep in mind older series rover really wernt designed for america in mind, designed mostly for urban uk country side puttering around, and helping on the farm. crossing deserts and working in 3rd world countries is where they excell.