PDA

View Full Version : how to mount a dixon bates mount ?

glbft1
01-27-2010, 02:49 PM
greetings,
just got a dixon bates camel trophy from our hosts) for the back of a mod 109 , got to looking at the middle of the bumper and there is a wall on both sides internally I assume to strengthen the old hitch so to place this mount in the middle the bolts would hit both of these lttle walls on the inside of the bumper, has anybody had this mounting problem and also, what did you do? plus the mounting bolts are too short? this is the two bolt dixon bates, maybe offsetting a little but don't want to look stupid:eek:

jac04
01-27-2010, 04:48 PM
You may want to reconsider using the 2-hole DB tow jaw. The higher capacity 4-hole DB tow jaw should fit the existing holes in the MOD chassis. Double-check the bolt pattern on the DB web site to be sure. I also suggest using the mounting plates that were used with the original pintle hitch (one goes under the hitch, the other goes on the inside of the chassis under the nuts on the through bolts).
The 4-hole version is available from a few different places - I have seen them on the Atlantic British web site.
Also check out: http://www.expeditionexchange.com/dixonbate/

Oh, and if you are removing an original MOD pintle hitch, please let me know as I would be interested in buying it.

glbft1
01-27-2010, 08:49 PM
I wish I had the mod hook , it came bare thought the two one would bolt right up, found a 4 bolt pattern on northern tool maybe that will fit just have to find the bolt pattern measurments!
Thanks
Greg

Les Parker
01-28-2010, 07:43 AM
Greg,

I have a used pintle avial. for $120.00 if you are interested.

jac04
01-28-2010, 08:52 AM
^^Les, any pics of the pintle available? If Greg doesn't want it I may be interested. Does it come with the reinforcing plates?

yorker
01-28-2010, 04:17 PM
IIRC-

FV987958's bolt pattern=
85x45mm ('Japan', UK, USA, Australia)

aka

Standard 1/2" Bolt Mounting Pattern (H: 3-3/8" by V: 1-3/4")

http://www.cerka.ca/catalog/hi_images/44-PH5.jpg

Fairly standard pintle hook bolt pattern, you should be able to find fixed eye 5t pintle hooks everywhere, they've been used constantly since WWII. Unless you are towing a fixed eye trailer there is no real need for a swiveling pintle.

Bolts are 1/2" or M12.

Check eBay- I got one of the Dixon Bate swiveling ones a little while ago for ~$25 on there from someone demilitarizing his Lightweight, I didn't need it because I have a M416 but I wanted it anyway. :D

Les Parker
01-29-2010, 08:54 AM
Jeff,

I can take pics over the weekend. Yes, it includes the spacers and odd bits.
I even put one new pivot pin in it, though it does need 2 new circlips that I have not managed to source yet.
Do you still need the shovel handle?

Les Parker
01-29-2010, 09:34 AM
Jeff,
Yes, it includes all the spacers and bits and bobs.
I have replaced on of the pivot pins though I have not sourced the 2 circlips that need to be replaced.
I can post pix over the weekend.

Also, as a post script, I have found that the D-B jaws hold the Sankey trailers more securely than locally sourced tow jaws, in fact they rattle a lot less.

scott
01-29-2010, 09:39 AM
i put one of those standard pintle hooks on mine. just took off the hitch plate, drilled 4 holes in it, ran the bolts through the back of the plate, added a couple of washers on the plate mounting bolts between plate and rear xmbr so the heads of the hook's bolts weren't the only thing mak'n contact with the xmbr

jac04
01-29-2010, 09:48 AM
Jeff,

I certainly do. Last time I checked, it was still on active back order and due in the next container.
What's the status?

galen216
01-29-2010, 09:54 AM
IIRC-

FV987958's bolt pattern=
85x45mm ('Japan', UK, USA, Australia)

aka

Standard 1/2" Bolt Mounting Pattern (H: 3-3/8" by V: 1-3/4")

http://www.cerka.ca/catalog/hi_images/44-PH5.jpg

Fairly standard pintle hook bolt pattern, you should be able to find fixed eye 5t pintle hooks everywhere, they've been used constantly since WWII. Unless you are towing a fixed eye trailer there is no real need for a swiveling pintle.

Bolts are 1/2" or M12.

FWIW

The pintles you can buy here are not standard to a Series crossmember bolt layout.

It is hard to see but I had to fab up a plate that matched the crossmember to the type of pintle purchased at the local tractor supply.

http://i652.photobucket.com/albums/uu245/galen216/Rover.jpg

yorker
01-29-2010, 10:43 AM
FWIW

The pintles you can buy here are not standard to a Series crossmember bolt layout.

It is hard to see but I had to fab up a plate that matched the crossmember to the type of pintle purchased at the local tractor supply.

http://i652.photobucket.com/albums/uu245/galen216/Rover.jpg

True! Civilian Rover Crossmembers are not that is why Land Rovermade those adapter plates. Military Rover crosmembers and bumpers are the universal pintle hook pattern. Land Rover made 2 adapter plates for Civilian chassis, part no. 245599 & 551884, They used to be around £7 and £25 from John Craddock's.

Once in a while RN has them too, I think they had one on their sales page a while back but I couldn't get any response to emails when I asked which it was.

galen216
01-29-2010, 12:01 PM
Sorry. I'll go away now. It amazes how different an MOD truck can be!

yorker
01-29-2010, 12:15 PM
Sorry. I'll go away now. It amazes how different an MOD truck can be!

hehe... no need to go away. :thumb-up: It is good that you brought up the need for an adapter on the civilian trucks. Most people don't realize they are needed nor that Land Rover made them.

Pretty simple to fabricate at home like you did once you see the drawings of the factory adapters.

Mercedesrover
01-29-2010, 12:47 PM
just got a dixon bates camel trophy from our hosts)....

If you mount this hitch on your truck, put the pin in upside-down.