PDA

View Full Version : Door Adjustment

Jim-ME
02-23-2007, 04:32 AM
When I removed my "as it came with" mirror assembly to install my new assemblies in the hole on the hinge I had to remove the bolts holding the hinge to the bulkhead. As a result my door won't latch properly. The latch now hits low into the striker and will not extend out into the pocket and pops back to the safety notch on the striker. It appears that there is an adjustment to more the striker in and out but not up and down. How do I raise the door to get the latch to hit the striker properly? Thanks in advance for the help.

Leslie
02-23-2007, 07:05 AM
You had to remove the screws on the hinge, right?

Have you tried adjusting the door at the hinges to square the door back up?

Clive
02-23-2007, 07:32 AM
The screws on the door-post end of the hinge need to be loosened to adjust how the door hangs - and you have to be a bit of a contortionist to adjust it with the door open. Basicaly slacken the screws, and then adjust the hang of the door up (rear of door up) and then holding it in position tighten the screws with spare hand! I am not sure why you had to loosen these to fit the original-style mirror arm, but maybe there was more than one type of arm? OOI, What is the part number?

msggunny
02-23-2007, 07:45 AM
I take my doors off every summer and i have the same problem. I loosen all the screws and then shut the door so it latches properly using a bit of body english and hold it while my wife or someone else tightens the screws.

sayers
02-23-2007, 07:49 AM
I was having the same problem with my doors and I had to loosen the front hinge bolts. It did the trick.

Jim-ME
02-23-2007, 09:21 AM
My origional mirror was a SIII which was screwed to a plate which in turn was mounted behind the upper door hinge. I had to take the bolts out to get the plate off. I have loosened the hinges and guess I wasn't enough of a contortionist to hold the door and tighten the hinge bolts. I'll try again when my son comes home from college this weekend. Thanks for all the replies.

Bostonian1976
02-23-2007, 11:12 AM
is that the problem I have? I always thought my tub wasn't lined up correctly. Is it possible the PO just took the doors off and couldn't line them up? Check out the body lines (sorry for the huge size but it's the only way to see it)

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/gallery/data/500/124-2489_IMG.JPG

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/gallery/data/500/medium/124-2488_IMG.JPG

jp-
02-23-2007, 12:49 PM
On my 88" there was not enough adjustment in the door hinges to allow the door to meet the tub at the right angle. So I removed the hinges and drilled out the 5/16" mounting holes several sizes larger. I rebolted everything with small washers to cover up the slightly larger holes. This gave me all the adjustment I needed to line everything up. Once lined up, just have someone tighten the door bolts and bulkhead bolts, while you hold it all in place.

Bostonian1976
02-23-2007, 12:50 PM
On my 88" there was not enough adjustment in the door hinges to allow the door to meet the tub at the right angle. So I removed the hinges and drilled out the 5/16" mounting holes several sizes larger. I rebolted everything with small washers to cover up the slightly larger holes. This gave me all the adjustment I needed to line everything up. Once lined up, just have someone tighten the door bolts and bulkhead bolts, while you hold it all in place.

It's possible the tub was misaligned, right? or the bulkhead?

TSR53
02-23-2007, 01:14 PM
Nice surf fishing rig! Now that you've teased us with your rig, let's see the fish photos, and hear the stories... :thumb-up:. Maybe in another thread down here >> Events (http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=54)

J!m
02-26-2007, 08:29 AM

Moving the bulkhead would have fixed this with no modifications otherwise...

Bostonian1976
02-26-2007, 10:28 AM
Moving the bulkhead would have fixed this with no modifications otherwise...

how difficult is it to move the bulkhead? I thought it was partially welded...no?

Leslie
02-26-2007, 10:32 AM
how difficult is it to move the bulkhead? I thought it was partially welded...no?

The bulkhead is bolted on. You have two large bolts at the feet of the pillars, and then you have the vertical support plates on the inside of the engine bay (your steering will also be bolted to it).

You have some adjustments you can make there, FWIW....

Bostonian1976
02-26-2007, 10:35 AM
The bulkhead is bolted on. You have two large bolts at the feet of the pillars, and then you have the vertical support plates on the inside of the engine bay (your steering will also be bolted to it).

You have some adjustments you can make there, FWIW....

maybe that's what's throwing my body lines off. thank you! Hopefully the adjustment doesn't mean tearing the whole body apart?

Dav1550
02-26-2007, 01:02 PM

If it will give some idea of the task.... Here is a pic, of the right side vertical support to the bulkhead with the attachments pointed out...

The 3 holes are slotted on the bottom of the bulkhead support as for movement fore and aft...In addition assembly calls for shims to be placed in between the top of the support and the bulkhead as necessary.

As I recall I used 2 shims, but no doubt this will vary.

Dave

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l16/Raincrow1/100_0513.jpg

jp-
02-26-2007, 01:23 PM
It's possible the tub was misaligned, right? or the bulkhead?

The tub wasn't misaligned. It was the bulkhead that had been hot dipped. I did shim the bulkhead to make the body lines perfect, but I still needed the little bit of adjustment that I got from drilling out the door hinges.