PDA

View Full Version : Is a Series Rover a good choice for a newbie?

Paul S. Thronburg
01-29-2010, 10:19 AM
I have been thinking of joining the Land Rover family, and have my eye on a Series III (I think) 5-door, diesel, RHD. Would it be too much for me to handle as a first vehicle? It would definitely have more room for my dogs than my 2004 Mini Cooper-S. Thoughts, comments, suggestions??

Mercedesrover
01-29-2010, 10:23 AM
Find or make a friend that owns one.
Drive it a bunch before you buy one for yourself.
Be ready to spend lots of time getting to know it and working on it.
This long wheel-base diesel will be the slowest thing you've ever driven.
It's not like a regular car/truck. You need to understand that very clearly before you commit to one. Seriously.

greasyhandsagain
01-29-2010, 10:27 AM
Oh YES! by all means. Jump right in and enjoy. If youre lacking "something to do with your spare time" or "something to get obsessed about"................a series land rover is for YOU!!

yorker
01-29-2010, 11:05 AM
You really should find one to drive first. I used to recommend them but over the years enough people have been pi$$ed off by them that I don't anymore. You have to be a certain eccentric mentality to deal with them- it is difficult to explain. Take Jim's advice above.

LaneRover
01-29-2010, 12:29 PM
If you are looking at it as an only vehicle then DEFINITELY drive one first.

If you are looking for one as a 2nd vehicle for taking the dogs to the park, driving around on the week-end and as an introduction into vintage vehicles then yes a series Rover is a very good for a newbie. They are about as basic as you can get mechanically. Since they went through more of an evolutionary process through the years, parts are generally not specific to any one year (there are a few exceptions of course I am sure) and thus are pretty available as the part for a 1960 may very well fit a 1970 or even a 1980.

But drive one and look around.

And Mercedes Rover is right, unless it is a diesel transplant (which may come with its own problems) the original Rover diesel in a long wheelbase will be pretty darn slow. Think an old VW bus full of linebackers slow - OK maybe an old VW bus with just a few linebackers in it.

Brent

bmohan55
01-29-2010, 12:43 PM
Before I bought mine I read EVERY post here in the Series forum...but I bought one anyhow.

Read this:
http://www.fourfold.org/LR_FAQ/Series/FAQ.S.look_for.html

BTW I love my truck, mostly for what it has taught me.

superstator
01-29-2010, 12:56 PM
If you are looking at it as an only vehicle then DEFINITELY drive one first.

If you are looking for one as a 2nd vehicle for taking the dogs to the park, driving around on the week-end and as an introduction into vintage vehicles then yes a series Rover is a very good for a newbie. They are about as basic as you can get mechanically. Since they went through more of an evolutionary process through the years, parts are generally not specific to any one year (there are a few exceptions of course I am sure) and thus are pretty available as the part for a 1960 may very well fit a 1970 or even a 1980.

But drive one and look around.

And Mercedes Rover is right, unless it is a diesel transplant (which may come with its own problems) the original Rover diesel in a long wheelbase will be pretty darn slow. Think an old VW bus full of linebackers slow - OK maybe an old VW bus with just a few linebackers in it.

Brent

++

I've enjoyed my diesel LWB experience, but if I didn't have a backup vehicle that can handle urban freeway driving, it never would have worked out.

Jeff Aronson
01-29-2010, 01:42 PM
It's hard for me to imagine a Land Rover 2.25 L diesel 5 door as the ideal vehicle in which to enter the Land Rover world.

The reasons have been outlined very effectively above. The diesel alone makes the car fall into the "Molasses, Slow As.." category. There's a chance that you would starve to death on a trip across Texas just trying to reach your destination. Your Mini Cooper can likely roll faster than the Land Rover can accelerate.

If the car spent its life in Texas, then possibly some of the rust issues that confront northern Rovers will be absent here. It's clearly not a US import, given the RHD [which can be a real pain the neck in traffic] and Series III identification. Rover brought very few diesels to the US, so it's important for you to find out which diesel engine is in the Rover, and whether you can get parts for it.

Do take a LONG drive in one. A gas engine Series Rover is a noisy vehicle at speed; the Rover diesel of the 60's - onward takes the decibel levels to a new high. Make certain your dogs don't mind the clatter.

Diesels have some real advantages in daily use, but they require a different level of mechanical expertise and tools to maintain them [or a good friendly diesel mechanic]. Compression means everything to a diesel and regular oil changes are an absolute must. You should want to see a full service history of the vehicle and take it to a Land Rover expert for evaluation.

And heed the cautions stated above; a Land Rover will absolutely seduce you as a car, but if you don't like maintaining an automobile and becoming intimate with its innards, then the Series Rover is the wrong first Land Rover. All models are more labor-intensive than their competitors, but few marques elicit the same level of appreciation and affection as the Land Rover.

If you don't buy this one, look around. There are several Land Rover clubs in Texas and a great annual event {SCARR} to find alternative Rovers, and to find helpful enthusiasts.

Jeff

Jeff

derekchace
01-29-2010, 02:36 PM
I bought mine after only one test drive. It was a 1973 RHD 24v Lightweight. After letting my British wife drive I had to have her stop as she kept trying to drive on the wrong side of the road! Once I started driving I could not stop laughing so I had to buy. I never look back. I only ask if you are going to buy a 88 or Lightweight please install a roll bar! Trust me on this.

thixon
01-29-2010, 02:54 PM
Any old british car is a "contraption" that requires tinkering.

I'm sure I'm about to ruffle a bunch of feathers, but I think others on this board will agree. A series rover is not a good "first" project car. Compared to other british cars, and many from other countries, series trucks have way more pieces and parts, and are a bit more complicated for the beginner in some respects.

Don't get me wrong, I love 'em. Just be sure its what you want. Really spend time reading posts on this, and other boards. You'll get a feel for the frustrations of other newbies, as well as what old hands think about various issues.

Also, do you own tools. If not, don't think the cost of rover is where it ends. Unless you plan on having someone do everything for you (and trust me, you won't) you'll have to invest in tools.

JackIIA
01-29-2010, 04:47 PM
A series rover is not a good "first" project car. Compared to other british cars, and many from other countries, series trucks have way more pieces and parts

Travis - this made my day. I now have an excuse for why my rover is a permanent unassembled jigsaw puzzle :eek:

brucejohn
01-30-2010, 01:00 PM
My 82 Series III 2.25 petrol RHD is my first project car and while it has been from complete to chassis and almost back to complete in 5 months it has been WAY more work than I hoped for. If I wasn't stubborn and unwilling to lose my 'investment' I would have likely given it away to someone willing to haul it off a time or two. I have purchased a mig welder and added to my general tool collection significantly. I have every receipt from our hosts and as yet am afraid to go add them all up.

After all that I have gotten to the point where I am upgrading and chasing down rattles. Last weekend I didn't need to do anything but a little maintenance.

I drove it last night around the Texas hill country backroads with a blanket on my lap because at 30F I was freezing with the heater on high and came home relaxed with a huge smile. I am looking for an excuse to go for a drive today.

I love it and will either continue with this one until I reach a point of satisfaction or trade for another.

...bj

Apis Mellifera
01-30-2010, 02:44 PM
In this day and age, there is no absolutely reason to own a Series Land Rover. They leak oil out and water in, they are slow and noisy, and the parts that inevitably fall off are expensive and/or impossible to find. They will emit vindictive fumes meant to seek and destroy you, they will salt your wounded wallet, they will torment and defame your sanity, and they will cut a jagged, bloody swath of smoldering mental and physical turmoil across you so deep and wide that you will be forever lost in heartache, desperation, and crippling ruin. These, of course, are also precisely the same reasons you should immediately go buy one. Try to find a Series I that's been soaking in mud and salt water for the last 40 years. I mean, who doesn't enjoy a challenge.

superpowerdave
01-31-2010, 12:45 AM
While I appreciate the above advice ... I say go for it!

My only regret in buying a Series is that I didn't buy it sooner. In hindsight, I wished I'd had it before everything else started filling the driveway. In foresight, I'm glad I bought them soon enough to figure out what the heck I was doing before my kids were old enough to know better :)

You'll learn more about mechanics and auto operation in your first year of ownership than an auto-tech class could teach you in five. You'll become familiar with the ingenuity of how simple these things can be, as well as curse them at every opportunity when things don't go just right.

As stated, you'll be forced to enjoy the ride rather than choosing to enjoy it. You'll come to relish the looks of people who pass you slowly, just staring at amazement. You'll bring charm to your neighborhood each time you take her out for a Sunday stroll. People will find a reason to talk to you about your truck because of its nostalgia and unique qualities.

Yes, it will have its issues, as anything old will. You'll either learn to love it as it is meant to be loved or you'll pass it on to someone who will ... either way, someone will keep that old beast running for years to come :)

Do what feels right. I've always felt that a Series chooses its owner, not the other way around. You'll know if it's right for you.

Bostonian1976
01-31-2010, 09:37 AM
I bought mine on a whim after admiring them for years! Jump right in if it's a second vehicle

TeriAnn
01-31-2010, 10:15 AM
You have been getting so good advice so far. Some mention personality, and I have to agree. Series Land Rovers are not for the average person. They are not a spectator sport. There are maintenance things that need to be done every 3000 miles. Most all the professional mechanics who know how to work on them have long since retired. There are a lot of DYI skills that will be needed. You will need time, funds, family permission and the inclination to do the maintenance as needed.

Here's my take on a long term Series owner personality: Someone who tends to be a bit contrary to mainstream society and does not want to be thought of as part of the sheep herd. Someone who knows or is willing to learn one end of a spanner from another. Someone who expects adversity to be a normal part of life (Unexpected excrement happens more often than not and you just deal with it as a matter of course) Someone who has a bit of a masochistic streak and tends to be very tenacious. And someone who grew up thinking of Series Land Rovers as being a magical enabling vehicle.

I think a road and track review of the 1964 Land Rover got it right when they said that a Land Rover is more a state of mind than a vehicle.

If you want to keep one in good running condition without having a mechanic on staff you will need to work on it frequently. More so until you find most of the worn out stuff that previous owners didn't maintain.

You will NEED a copy of the owner's manual. The owners manual provides the factory maintenance schedule and walks you step by step through all the maintenance items. For the bigger jobs you need the factory shop manuals.

Spend some time with one before you buy. If you have the right personality and walk away from a lengthy test drive enchanted by the truck and feeling a need to leave civilization behind you might have the mental quirks to become a normal deranged Series Land Rover owner.

Most people are too sensible to buy one and stay with one long term.

dansalisbury72
01-31-2010, 10:23 AM
To reinforce a couple points that were mentioned above - I learned more about overall vehicle mechanics working on my truck and was forced to venture into areas of the vehicle out of necessity that I had previously not touched before.

Also second the thought that this is a good SECOND vehicle. I used mine for about a year as my daily driver and only vehicle. At the time I had only about a 10 mile trip to work and had my wife and her Volvo SUV on call as my recovery crew. Now that I live 30+ miles from work and my wife has much better things to do with her time than come pick me up on the side of the road, I bought another daily driver and have the luxury of leaving my truck in the garage when I need to work on it. Nothing worse than staying up all night knowing that you have to fix truck in time to hop back in it and get to work the next morning. But then again, those were some good times...

czenkov
01-31-2010, 10:29 AM
From someone who bought one as their first project car - They are a pain in the arse. But one of the most addictive things you will ever own and I love it, ownership that is. And they do require regular frequent maintenance and sometimes major repair - they are old after all.

LaneRover
01-31-2010, 10:35 AM
Most people are too sensible to buy one and stay with one long term.

Aaaahhhhh if only I was sensible enough to keep it to just one . . .

Apis Mellifera
01-31-2010, 10:41 AM
While I appreciate the above advice ... I say go for it!

You make it sound like what I said was a negative thing.

I grew up with British cars. I cut my teeth on a TR3. I cut my hand on an MGA, burned my thigh on a Sprite...

Buy a nice Series as cheap as you can. Drive it for a while and then decide if it's for you. Whether you like it or not and whether you sell it sooner or later...or never, you still have the investment. It really comes down to seeing if you can tolerate the inconvenience. A Toyota Tacoma can do most everything better than a Series, but, of course, it's not a "Series". For some, the idealized notion of owning an old vehicle turns out to be better than reality, but for precious few, it becomes a way of life. I don't think I could be happy without at least one old British machine leaking oil on my garage floor. TeriAnn is right. Most sensible people drive Tacomas.

TeriAnn
01-31-2010, 01:33 PM
Also second the thought that this is a good SECOND vehicle.

I agree it is good to have two vehicles in the hopes that at least one is running properly at all times. As to my Land Rover being a second vehicle or primary vehicle depends upon the weather, my mood and why I'm heading out to the cars. I figure both of mine are the primary and the secondary vehicle.

But yes, it is a good idea for a 40+ year old Land Rover to have a companion to share the daily duties. In my case it is a 50 year old Land Rover and a 49 year old Triumph. :D

fishguy
01-31-2010, 02:10 PM
My Series III SWB was my first project "car". I got hooked when some friends invited me "camping" at what turned out to be a rover rally...I was aware of Rovers (a great friend has a 109 pickup/dormobile) but that experience was too much. Totally hooked by both the trucks and the community.

When I finally found my rover it was in CKD condition - totally disassembled but essentially complete. Thanks to the help and generosity of a group of Hooligans I call my friends I was able to get it road worthy in about a year of part time work. The pride the first time she started and when I drove her to the inspection station and she passed on the first try was AMAZING! She's now in the midst of her second rebuild under my care...hopefully my two year Rover hiatus will be over this summer.

Some honest questions - do you like to drive fast? ( not going to happen) Are you going to be dependent on this vehicle to get you around? Do you enjoy problem solving & troubleshooting? Are you mechanically inclined (or wealthy)? I can hear my maternal grandfather chuckling every time my rover has me scratching my head...I did not know how into mechanics I would get as an adult when I had access to a professional mechanic.

Rovers can get jealous when you spend too much time or money on another ride or hobby. For all the awesome highs there are also lows - the sound of a spun main engine bearing on a highway hill on the Cape or the bang of a snapped axle when you're already running late ;)

Teriann and the others makes great points.

Series Land Rovers are like no other vehicle on Earth, if you get into one, drive it, love the sounds and smells (learn them, they will help tell you what's wrong), don't mind your left knee getting wet (or right if it's RHD) when it rains, read all the horror stories and still lie awake at night or daydream at work about one then you are hooked...go for it and enjoy.

superpowerdave
01-31-2010, 02:17 PM
You make it sound like what I said was a negative thing.

Apis I didn't mean to single any one person out for anything at all and if I wasn't clear I do apologize. I was speaking of the thread in general, not a particular post.

This thread displays the various personalities and quirks of Series owners at its best I might say, and has been a fun read to see why people fall in love with this tractors, why some don't, and why we can love them, and consider them infernal beasts of punishment all at the same time :)

EDIT- Apis after rereading your post, I'd have to say that's one of the most honest characterizations of the Series addiction I've ever heard ... and I totally agree.

czenkov
01-31-2010, 02:37 PM
And a sensible craaaaaazy person has the Series for every reason mentioned previously, and Tacoma for those days when it absolutely has to start. I have a 2004 Tacoma for those days.

NickDawson
01-31-2010, 04:40 PM
Not much to add - great thread!
My personal experience has been amazing but not without its ups and downs...a lot of downs :)

My Series III is not only my first vintage car but my first mechanical endeavor ever. I've always wanted a Series rover and thought it would be fun to learn to change the oil. The 2nd weekend, I was underneath changing the gasket on the transfer case which I thought was way over my head. I went on to replace the points in the ignition, totally disassemble and reassemble the carburetor and replace the coil all to discovered that the problem was in the fuel cutoff solenoid....that was followed by a trip to the mechanic when the ignition failed again... This was all in the first 4 months of ownership.

After it got up and running, we took it to the Mid Atlantic Rally which was just over the top fun. My wife loved it, we met so many great folks, including Bmohan55, rocked the (easy) trails and saw what rovers are capable of. All of the frustrations from the down time melted away.

Its currently not rolling while awaiting parts for the transmission...another part of the system that I did not think I'd lay my hands on.

The point is, as a 2nd car, its really been a crash course in mechanics and its been a blast! I got very frustrated at first (as this group can attest) not because of the money (although that hurts) but because its just so great to drive. Like others have said, its a head turner, conversation starter just outright cool. I got over the frustration and realized that its part of the joy of ownership - some of that was getting over the fear of working on it myself.

I would not hesitate to do it again. All the time that mine is not running, I still check ebay and craigslist for other rovers. They are addicting :D But it is important to have a realistic idea of what you are getting into. I heard people talk about carrying spare parts and doing roadside repairs - I get that now....but that is also part of the charm. If you don't find that idea charming then that might be a sign ;)

Wander
02-01-2010, 10:22 AM
I'm still a newbie to these wonderfully flawed creations so I'm sure many will dismiss any advice I could offer.

I noticed you've got a MINI-I also had one of those and really enjoyed the community of the clubs and road trips. I've found that with a Series as well-maybe even tighter as the odds of having to come to someones aid are pretty fair. I also liked the ability to modify the MINI with performance parts-to an extent but I admit that when everytime I swung open that bonnet there was many things I did not want to mess with as I would not be able to fix them or they were essentially disposable and expensive. After trading the MINI for a 4runner I set about my quest for a project. I've wanted my own project car since I was 12, I've worked on a lot of other people's projects but never had the scratch to get my own. With the 4R I knew I had the dependable transportation in just about any condition covered so I started hanging out on forms like Expedition Portal, Ih8mud, etc learning about different marques and vehicles. After asking A LOT of questions and I'm sure annoying many people I found I was most attracted by series Land Rovers. Yes they are a challenge, but that was what I wanted, plus the emotional pull was the strongest and I've always felt you should listen to your gut and follow your heart. I searched for about a year on classifieds just to learn what to look for, and how to spot problems. In the end I got lucky and found a like minded seller that passed along a very nice series for me to take care of (you never really own these things). Sorry for the long story, I like that it engauges every part of you and that when I lift the bonnet I recognize everything, I am impressed and puzzeled at the same time about many aspects and I know it's something that will always offer a new challenge and will never be totally mastered.

Jeff Aronson
02-01-2010, 10:56 AM
The bleeding on my fingers has only finally stopped after working on a few Rovers at the Downeast Land Rover Club's "Shop Day" last Saturday :). I start to bleed the moment I start working on any Land Rover.

There's a lot a sage advice here from very knowledgable enthusiasts, and you'll note that most of it focuses on examining yourself, your own needs and interests. Those are the primary factors in determining whether a Series Rover is right for you.

Around 1990, I went out on my own for work and decided that my 1978 Triumph Spitfire was not the best vehicle if I absolutely, positively had to get somewhere in bad weather in order to earn income. I had always been a one-car-at-a-time owner but decided to take the plunge and invest in a Series Rover as my primary car.

One step I took was to "rent a Rover" from an enthusiast for a day. I "rented" his Rover and paid him for his time to accompany me on some travel around northern New England for a day and about 400 miles of highway and two-lane road driving. We even went off road for a short while. That let me live in the Rover under the conditions which would be similar to the requirements of my work. The car was certainly not pristine and the owner made a lot of excuses for its condition. The fact that it ran so well anyway, despite the noise and the cold, convinced me it would work and that a Series Rover was right for me.

In the end, the Rover I purchased is the one I still own, a '66 II-A 88". I bought it with 111,000 miles on it, and promptly added 25,000 - 30,000 miles a year traveling throughout New England for work. At 168,000 miles, the engine required a rebuild because the cylinders were simply worn too far for compression. The rebuilt engine that's in the car has gone about 350,000 miles and continues to run very well. I've rebuilt the innards of the transmission once, and replaced one differential.

Yes, it has left me stranded a few times, but over 19 years, any car can leave you stranded. Tow trucks in New England have pulled or carried my MGB's, MG Midgets, Triumph Spitfires, Jeep CJ-5, CJ-7, and Fiat Spiders that I've owned in the past and relied on for daily transportation.

With my Rover, the stranding was the result of my ignorance about certain repairs; those same situations would not strand me now. If you must have transportation that must always start every day and can never let you down, no Series Rover or classic British car [or most any other classic for that matter] can be guaranteed to run perfectly every day. But if you're willing to learn, have the flexibility to look for alternative transportation in emergencies, are willing to reach out to other enthuiasts for help, then a Series Rover is a wonderful vehicle to own for the rest of your lifetime.

At 44 years of age, my Rover has outlived the Spitfire, the MGB that replaced it, and is currently giving the TR-7 that replaced the MGB a good run for its money. I still need the Rover to help produce my daily income; with luck, the expertise of enthuisiasts on this Forum, the knowledge and parts from our host, and my own efforts, it will do so for the rest of my life :).

So perhaps you can "test" out a Rover for yourself and then decide. Everyone here thinks you should go for it, but with your eyes wide open.

Jeff

thixon
02-01-2010, 10:58 AM
Travis - this made my day. I now have an excuse for why my rover is a permanent unassembled jigsaw puzzle :eek:

JackIIA,

I laughed about this comment all day! Have courage, you aren't alone in the world. At least you're ABLE to put it all together it if you so choose! The guy I bought my current truck from never had a chance. Good thing I rescued it before it was too late! He actually tried to bondo in new footwells!

utahseries
02-01-2010, 11:21 AM
I think this thread should be the official standard for anyone who's considering owning a series. I would have to agree with what was said earlier, the rover wil choose you.. I've been around series rovers for my entire life, complete with ups and downs; but I couldn't imagine how empty my life would be without them. I searched for my series 1 for 6 years, and finally we met.... It has been a great/terrible restoration, but I wouldn't trade it for anything! Cmon and get a sample of Rover's finest hour!!!

Paul S. Thronburg
02-09-2011, 02:57 PM
Mmmmm....such good advice from so many knowledgeable folks. I thank you all for your input. It would definitely not be my first project vehicle, or British vehicle for that matter. Dad has a 1978 MGB, the Wife has a 1975 MGB, I stupidly sold my 1972 MG Midget instead of the 1977 TR-7. Time and finances will determine when I manage to join the Land Rover Family. As for tinkering and tools, I have an addiction to both which is probably why I am a helicopter mechanic.

Thanks again!
pst

Leslie
02-09-2011, 04:45 PM
Mmmmm....such good advice from so many knowledgeable folks. I thank you all for your input. It would definitely not be my first project vehicle, or British vehicle for that matter. Dad has a 1978 MGB, the Wife has a 1975 MGB, I stupidly sold my 1972 MG Midget instead of the 1977 TR-7. Time and finances will determine when I manage to join the Land Rover Family. As for tinkering and tools, I have an addiction to both which is probably why I am a helicopter mechanic.

Thanks again!
pst

Oh, you'll fit right in.... plenty of room in the padded cell next to me!

;)

cgalpin
02-09-2011, 07:20 PM
heck you should have said this first. You'll love a series!

Thanks again!
pst

Momo
02-10-2011, 01:20 AM
Sounds like you are tailor made for a Series.

After 15 years of ownership I have to say I've never cursed or regretted the decision to get into these vehicles. I've only been stranded two or three times, and those were my fault, not the truck's.

They do tend to multiply (I have three) and have been very reliable overall. There's only been a few jobs to be done that were really unpleasant, like replacing leaf spring bushings or pulling a head with a stuck valve, but that comes with any car. At least on a Series you can get your hands in most places and you can crawl under one without lifting it first. They are so simple that as long as you start with a decent one you shouldn't regret it.

Creature comforts are nice, but boring in the long run. And no one ever asks me about my Toyota, but every time I drive one of the Land Rovers I get thumbs up, long looks, and at least two people ask me about them or share a story about owning or riding in one. So if you are not social they may not be for you, but they engender a lot of good will from all sorts of people.

bpj911
02-10-2011, 07:31 AM
I have owned quite a few unique vehicles from Unimogs, pinzgauers, cruisers, M37, Jeeps, Scouts,etc, etc. A rover does really nothing that well and is really not that well made. What they are good for is as an aggregate of all the fun/unique vehicles. Ie; they are practical enough to use. They drive easy enough, don't require any gymnastics to get in, have windows you can generally see out of due to the miracle of defrost, easy to work on and get much better fuel mileage than most of the above. (mine is a diesel) they also have turn signals and a freaking dome light, at least when the top is on. After having all the trucks that I have had I am somewhat surprised that I am satisfied with the rover. (usually anyway) It's very modular and you can unbolt the top and doors and then all of a sudden it's fun again. It has also been pretty well behaved and isn't really the nuisance to work on that I expected early on. I have to say that I find most vehicles less of a nuisance as i get older. I am sure some can be attributed to perhaps a better understanding of how things work. i do believe the majority of the improvement in the reliability of my vehicles is due to less tinkering. What is the saying? "the first thing to break is generally the last thing you fixed" I think that is true, at least at my house. I also find that i can ignore little problems that would have required a complete rebuild 10 years ago. I can drive around without brakes, without lights, without whatever until it's nice out or a friend wants to drink beer.

Dashface
02-10-2011, 06:26 PM
I say go for it :D They are a wonderful thing to own, and I can't imagine life without it. I mean, I have gone through hell and high water with my Series, and many times I absolutely hate its guts - but I am still desperately in love with it.

Beware what owning a British car might do to your mind, though... Within a year of getting my Series I also got an MGB and a Discovery I. Much to my eternal frustration :D

czenkov
02-10-2011, 06:43 PM
And a sensible craaaaaazy person has the Series for every reason mentioned previously, and Tacoma for those days when it absolutely has to start. I have a 2004 Tacoma for those days.

Since this post I have decided to sell the Tacoma, daily drive the Defender, (still have the Series - what fun!) and use the cash from the Tacoma sale to fund an ex-MoD 110 purchase. Forget predicatbility! Into the unknown I go!

You should too!

amcordo
02-10-2011, 06:54 PM
I say go for it :D They are a wonderful thing to own, and I can't imagine life without it. I mean, I have gone through hell and high water with my Series, and many times I absolutely hate its guts - but I am still desperately in love with it.

That about covers it.

cscutt
02-11-2011, 10:26 AM
Ask these questions...be honest.
1. can I afford it?
2. Does the wife support this venture?
3. Does my personality support this drastic change in speed...or lack there of?
4. Am I willing to toil endlessly on so many bits and parts and remain sane?
5. Will it become a daily driver or remain a toy?
6. will I be able to keep an open mind and not shun the wisdom and knowledge when things go wrong and i ask for help.
7. will I be able to do a proper repair instead of a half-assed repair and hope it works...ALL bets are off when stuck on the side of the road...then do what ever it takes.
8. will I remember that a landy is a state of mind and can force you to do considerably more thinking about many things since there are no radios, A/C, blah..blah..blah.

Either way, you will not regret it if you make the proper choice.:thumb-up: