PDA

View Full Version : new rover

bpj911
01-30-2010, 07:14 AM
I just took possession of a 63 109 2.25 diesel. I had read nearly the entire internet about the thing and was fully prepared to be very disappointed in the performance. In a nut shell, it's fine. I don't see why no one likes them. Apparently the guys who are dissatisfied with the performance have never owned a unimog, pinzgauer, power wagon, etc. This is my 2nd rover and while I would consider it to be slower than the other one (gasser) it seems pretty damn good to me.

Now, the other thing about it is the noise. WOW. It's noisy. Most of the noise isn't really coming from the engine though, mostly the entire truck vibrating. I mean every single panel, every rivet, every loose bolt. I sort of can't believe how loud it is at slow speeds. At high speeds (relative) it seems no louder than the gasser.

I drove it over to my good friends house yesterday afternoon who I have had a long and illustrious relationship with to show him my long awaited purchase. You have to understand that up until a year ago he drove nothing but flat fender power wagons. I sold him a Pinzgauer and that was the first foreign vehicle he has ever owned. He does have approx 25 power wagons of various vintages, 5 tons, deuces, etc.

I sort of took it over there for approval which is ridiculous in and of itself but we have to work together to keep these old trucks on the road. I pulled in and shut it off and the first thing he said was "looks like it's at least 4 colors". "You need a place to stay?"

I assured him I wasn't getting divorced over this and we moved out for a ride. After a few minutes he says, "this isn't really that bad". So, in short, he approved.

The truck definitely has some character (dents, scratches, overall missing paint) But overall, I think it's a good truck. Not to mention that it will actually go through my standard garage door without having to take the top off or let the tires down.

4flattires
01-30-2010, 07:23 AM
It sounds like your second Rover experience has been a pleasant one. Like many things in life, the second experience often is compared to the first one and builds upon that (yeah, there are many references that can be applied to) :thumb-up:

However....

Post some pics! (please) It is the weekend ya know!

:)

Jeff

czenkov
01-30-2010, 09:10 AM
Sounds like a beautiful truck - no kidding - what you describe I call "patina" and love the look. X2 on the pictures.

lstrvr
01-30-2010, 11:52 AM
Congratulations on the truck!

Contrary to popular belief, it is possible to quieten down a series Land Rover considerably. It just depends on the level of work invested. Our '61 SII 109 Carawagon with Perkins TD is very civilized to drive. Even at cruising speeds on the highway it is easy to carry on conversations comfortably and listen to the radio. When I was building my truck, the intention was to use it for extended travelling, so I spent a TON of time looking after the little details that resulted in a pretty quiet and rattle free cab. I have found that there was no one item in particular that drastically reduced noise and vibration versus it just being a culmination of little things.