PDA

View Full Version : Fastest anyone has ever completed a frame swap?

amcordo
02-01-2010, 11:49 AM
What's a reasonable amount of time to complete a frame swap in? One person, full-time. Can it be done in two weeks on a 1973 109"?

crankin
02-01-2010, 12:03 PM
amcordo again will the craziness.
Are you taking apart every panel or just unbolting the tub, seat box, etc...lifting the whole shabang and setting it on top of a new frame?

There is a video of a four guys doing it in a weekend....by lifting the body off and placing it on the new frame.

amcordo
02-01-2010, 12:11 PM
I'm doing it the most difficult way to do it, with the most swearing and the most "oh damn, I should have just..."s that I can. So whichever way that is. And I'm not even doing it for a while (like a year or two). I just want to build it up so much in my head that I go insane.

crankin
02-01-2010, 12:21 PM
Oh gotcha. well, in that case. I think I am pretty fast...(it's the ADHD thing)....and I am at 1.5 years into it.

Now, I have had to wait on my paint guy and my mechanic here and there. I think I could have finished it all up in about 4 months if it hadn't been for them. If I had no repairs to make...1.5 months.

I dare say that if you had another rolling chassis set up, you could do it over a weekend (a very long, tiring weekend).

thixon
02-01-2010, 01:10 PM
Depends. Do you have air tools?

I've done it in a weekend, with the help of two other people (very little sleep, lots of beer). Only caveat is that the truck had been gone through already and had plenty of new fasteners that weren't cemented together with 50 years worth of rust!

Good luck!

greenmeanie
02-01-2010, 02:54 PM
As Travis states a lot depends on the state of the truck. Its not the general wrenching that will get you but instead the unknown parts that need replaced. For instance, how are your tub supports and of course your T-posts on that SW. The T-posts are prone to rot at the junction with the rear dog leg and bottom of the B-post. They can be pretty much scrap yet look OK externally. If they need replaced then just getting them to you at reasonable cost will take a week or so.

It seems to be the nature of the job that the one part you are missing is the one that prevents you from doing this other wee thing that prevents the whole body going on. Miss those one or two parts and your two weeks is blown waiting for it to arrive. Of course then you think to yourself that while you are waiting and have time on your hands you may as well take this bit of the truck apart and overhaul it. Don't do it! Next thing you know you have a pile of parts and you are not doing a frame over but instead have a full rebuild on your hands.

crankin
02-01-2010, 03:50 PM
Don't do it! Next thing you know you have a pile of parts and you are not doing a frame over but instead have a full rebuild on your hands.

Ahem....
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_dcAzqvv_A6U/S2dMi9bu_lI/AAAAAAAAA0Q/3cIHfFXbeIM/s720/Untitled-4.jpg

scott
02-01-2010, 04:25 PM
you need at least 2 running series to do a frame over properly. take the running series with the worse frame and start disassembling. take the other and drive away, don't look back

superstator
02-01-2010, 06:13 PM
gpTKTwEQksE

SafeAirOne
02-01-2010, 10:33 PM
Pretty cool video! I guess we know the answer now. With enough helpers, you can swap out the chassis on an 88 in a little under 4 minutes. :p

Terrys
02-02-2010, 07:48 AM
There was a garage on Mull, Dervaig Motors, run by a very competant ex-Highlander. He would bring in a stack of new frames each fall, and do 8-10 throughout the winter. I saw my friend's '74 88 in Mingary and remarked on the new frame, and he told me he took it in on a thursday, and had it back the following monday. We went for a visit, and the guy claimed he could do a 109 Hardtop as fast as an 88 hardtop, but soft tops took longer. He hoisted the whole body shell straight up, rolled the chassis out, repiped it after the drivetrain, and plopped the body back down. ( he had a very well stocked parts bin)
I've done 2 myself, and as others have said, you start out with the idea it's just a frame swap, but it only takes a few hours into the job when it becomes a whole lot more.

amcordo
02-02-2010, 08:41 AM
Meh if I run into rusted things I've got a hack saw and duct tape. Good enough, right?

brucejohn
02-02-2010, 10:43 PM
Mine took 4 months of steady work (after work and weekends) for an 'okay' refurbishment. I do get to drive her daily now. =)

siii8873
02-03-2010, 05:11 PM
Ah the preverbial might as well. I pulled my rover into the garage to change a thermostat, notices a fuel leak, did some poking around, found some rot on the frame. 4 years later I pulled it out of the garage with a new frame and everything removed and tidyed up replaced as needed.
Had no intention of doing this when i bought the truck.

amcordo
02-04-2010, 06:17 AM
... or I could just fix up the existing frame and push the rover into a pool of molten zinc. Just galvanize it whole. Yeah, I like that idea the most.

crankin
02-04-2010, 08:33 AM
Be careful of the galvanizing process drawing up the metal. :D
And you might want to remove the seats before you do this...often times sharp points of metal are made after galvanizing...they could poke the lovely girl's hinies...

LaneRover
02-04-2010, 09:30 AM
...they could poke the lovely girl's hinies...

He has a nice salve that he could help them apply if this happens.

crankin
02-04-2010, 12:26 PM
90w is not considered a salve...

LaneRover
02-04-2010, 01:41 PM
90w is not considered a salve...

Chances are 'they' don't know that . . .

crankin
02-04-2010, 10:59 PM
LaneRover is calling your lady friends dumb, amcordo...You gonna stand for that?!

LaneRover
02-04-2010, 11:50 PM
LaneRover is calling your lady friends dumb, amcordo...You gonna stand for that?!

Not dumb - illinformed about the uses of 90W

JSalyer
02-05-2010, 05:54 AM
I became the "Reframe Biatch" in the late 90's at my LR Center. The fastest one I did was on a Disco 1, I did it in three long days. Unhook everything you can, raise the body, find more you forgot, raise more, find still more you forgot, curse a lot, the once free lift body free. then it is a snap with the new frame side by side with the old one. It is simply transfering the drive train one major part at a time. I lifted the engine/tranny/tbox as one and set on blocks, the I did the front and rear suspensions as units which got the new frame off the ground, then drivetrain back in, switch out the little stuff and fuel tank, then roll new frame back under the body, and start lowering and making connections as you go.
The first one i did was on a RR Classic, took 6 days, second on a D90, took 5 days, This disco I did in probably 30-35 hours or 3 days.
It sucks, but I learned alot, and after you do reframe, you are in a very exclusive club!!
Cheers,
Jack in Bavaria

amcordo
02-08-2010, 07:30 AM
You're on my list LaneRover.

Not dumb - illinformed about the uses of 90W

LaneRover
02-08-2010, 10:44 AM
You're on my list LaneRover.

The good list or the bad list?

amcordo
02-08-2010, 01:02 PM
The good list or the bad list?

I already lost the list in this mess so you're off it again. Man, I need to clean the inside of the rover...