PDA

View Full Version : RH > LH lwht

siii8873
02-01-2010, 07:40 PM
What parts would be needed to convert a RH lwt to a LH lwt?
I'm guessing a frame might be the biggest problem.
thanks
Bob

uralrover
02-01-2010, 08:05 PM
I swapped my LHD Series III into a RHD Series III. I changed the parts on the top of the swivel ball on both sides to operate opposite they did, changed the front cross member to accommodate the steering gear and the linkages for both the parking brake and the fuel system. I think I still have the LHD stuff floating around somewhere. Other then that I kept everything else.

siii8873
02-02-2010, 04:45 PM
can I ask why you changed to RHD? Seems to me a RHD would be a little inconvenient in the US, drivethroughs, toll booths,ect. Was your vehicle a lightweight?
I see that you are from upstate NY. I live in the Plattsburgh area, way Upstate NY.
Bob

NickDawson
02-02-2010, 05:19 PM
can I ask why you changed to RHD? Seems to me a RHD would be a little inconvenient in the US, drivethroughs, toll booths,ect.

As an RHD owner, I rarely find it to be inconvenient. I got an extra EZ-Pass / SmartTag for tolls, problem solved (except for the one time my wife took it out and didn't tell me, that was embarrassing).

I dont go through drive throughs so that has been a problem , but I can see how it would be. When I do hit the ATM in the rover, I just park short, get out and do my transaction - easier than leaning out the 1/2 sliding window anyway.

In traffic I rarely even remember that Im in an RHD - its just not an issue in that regard.

Just my two cents - if you are new to your RHD, you might drive it a while before converting to see if you really want to go through the trouble.

jac04
02-02-2010, 06:02 PM
The shift lever is usually different as well. Also don't forget that you will need to change brake & clutch lines to reach the new masyet cylinder location.

LaneRover
02-02-2010, 06:38 PM
I would give RHD a try before converting (this is assuming that you haven't of course) it takes a day or two to get used to and is kind of fun - especially if you have a dog or a kid that rides with you a lot.

You can always drive backwards through ATM's and drive thrus if you want!

Brent

uralrover
02-02-2010, 06:45 PM
I had to change to RHD drive because I plan on taking it into Japan when I retire and it would be esier when I do so to have it allready set up for the local driving laws. Since I could be stationed in Europe as well I have it also lighted for Europe roads and other then a diesel engine to add some fuel economy (where in asia diesel is the same or cheaper then Petrol) I don't plan on adding much more. As I'm on the other side of the Adriondacks from Plattsburg I don't travel over there much. But since here is primarily small towns and villiges I haven't needed to worry about driving around RHD at all. Although the local diner did not like me going backwards through the drive through. I forgot about the brake and clutch lines, but as I was rebuilding them anyway I built them all from scratch to fit.

siii8873
02-02-2010, 06:50 PM
thanks guys. I do not have a RHD vehicle but wanted to know others experiences as I'm kind of looking for a second rover and wasn't sure I wanted to consider a RHD.
Thanks

Leslie
02-03-2010, 07:16 AM
IMHO, FWIW.....

If you want a RHD, get a RHD; if you want a LHD, get a LHD. There are enough of each out there, that you should be able to find whichever you want.

Between two Rovers, one LHD and one RHD, I would pick the one in better shape, regardless of handedness.

I think that, since we're talking about Series Rovers, we could generalize ourselves as being interested in something a bit less common than a Jeep; being RHD only adds to that, so, RHD isn't a 'bad thing' that needs to be changed.

And, you'd already be ready for a second career as a rural mail carrier..... ;)

(and, I have one of each, the '72 is a LHD, the '60 is RHD.... if you *have* to, go through drive-thru's in reverse!)

derekchace
02-04-2010, 06:53 AM
In my RHD Lightweight I don't worry about the drive-true I just go threw in reverse. So what if people look at you like your mad. The Look on the Bank tellers / window person's face is priceless.

LaneRover
02-04-2010, 09:26 AM
If you do have one of each you will consistently walk up to the wrong side of the vehicle to drive it.