PDA

View Full Version : When the passenger door pops...

Nium
02-02-2010, 10:07 PM
Do your passenger's eyes become round so that you can distinctly see the whites when the door pops to the outer door latch like the door's gonna pop open and dump them out onta the asphalt at any moment as your rolling along in the Landy? Do they just jump in their seat towards the middle of the bench like the door has suddenly become incredible hot and they're afraid of getting burned?

SeriesShorty
02-02-2010, 10:12 PM
Easy answer: YES, their eyes do bug outta their head. Mine too when the driver's door does it to me. :p

crankin
02-02-2010, 11:58 PM
I enjoy turning corners in mine and having the passenger door swing open...as the tail gate slams down.

rovertek
02-03-2010, 02:48 PM
try shimming the striker out a little closer to the latch.....

NelsAnderson
02-03-2010, 03:22 PM
Huh, this has never happened to me...guess I need to adjust my door! It did happen in my airplane one time though, but it was the passenger's fault!

vansdonk
02-03-2010, 03:40 PM
All 5 of ours did that very badly. We sprayed as much carb cleaner as we could into the whole latch assy. and let it sit for a day to dry out. Then sprayed at much lubricant in there that we could get. Let it drip for another day, then reinstalled. :thumb-up: Catches seemed like they were adjusted well, the catch latch just wouldn't stay out. Hasn't done it since.

siii8873
02-03-2010, 04:29 PM
I've never had that happen to my doors if the're slammed shut. One problem I do have that I cannot figure out is the locks. If the doors are open I can lock and unlock the doors with the key and it all works fine. If the doors are shut I cannot lock the doors. The key turns like it's locking the door but they do not lock. The lever on the inside for locking from that side moves but not far enough to lock the door.

TeriAnn
02-03-2010, 05:55 PM
I used to have that problem. once grabbed my passenger's arm and pulled her back as she started to fall out. Once had it pop open on a freeway bridge over the Columbia river and lost a full tool box, stainless steel dog food & water bowls & more. Buy the time I was able to get off the freeway, back across the bridge, off the freeway then back on everything was scavenged. That was pretty much all the hand tools I had in the world.

I broke down and replaced all my latches with Defender anti burst latches and have not popped out anywhere since then.

rwollschlager
02-03-2010, 06:53 PM
many moons ago before i could turn a wrench,
my dad was driving the family home in the IIA 88, and we made it to our street no problem. Taking the left hand turn onto our road, my dad gave everyone the fair warning to "hold on".... My mom, who was not holding on or wearing her seatbelt, was promptly jettisoned from the rover and broke her arm. Coulda been much much worse, but no my parents are not divorced now and yes she does still ride in the rover occasionally :thumb-up:

My door alignment on my 88 is a little out of wack so I used a bungee chord. You havent seen the whites of your passengers eyes until their door flys open then snaps back, while you act like nothing happened :D

-Rob

NickDawson
02-03-2010, 06:57 PM
Huh, this has never happened to me...guess I need to adjust my door! It did happen in my airplane one time though, but it was the passenger's fault!
Used to happen in the 151s I trained in all the time. I loved the look on people's faces when I said "look the door may come open when we take off, if it does, I'll just reach over you and close it"...
pale as a ghost!