X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nium
    4th Gear
    • Aug 2009

When the passenger door pops...

Do your passenger's eyes become round so that you can distinctly see the whites when the door pops to the outer door latch like the door's gonna pop open and dump them out onta the asphalt at any moment as your rolling along in the Landy? Do they just jump in their seat towards the middle of the bench like the door has suddenly become incredible hot and they're afraid of getting burned?
    Walker
    1968 Series IIA-"Ronnie"
    88" SW, 2.25L Petrol, LHD
  • SeriesShorty
    2nd Gear
    • Sep 2008

Easy answer: YES, their eyes do bug outta their head. Mine too when the driver's door does it to me.
    1966 IIa - ex-MOD, ex-FFR, ex-24v
    1997 Discovery SE7 - I'm empty inside without her

Comment

• crankin
      5th Gear
      • Jul 2008

I enjoy turning corners in mine and having the passenger door swing open...as the tail gate slams down.

Birmabright Brotherhood

Take the vow, join the brotherhood!

Clint Rankin - 1972 SIII SWB

Comment

• rovertek
        1st Gear
        • Apr 2007

try shimming the striker out a little closer to the latch.....

Comment

• NelsAnderson
          Low Range
          • Oct 2006

Huh, this has never happened to me...guess I need to adjust my door! It did happen in my airplane one time though, but it was the passenger's fault!

Comment

• vansdonk
            Low Range
            • Oct 2008

All 5 of ours did that very badly. We sprayed as much carb cleaner as we could into the whole latch assy. and let it sit for a day to dry out. Then sprayed at much lubricant in there that we could get. Let it drip for another day, then reinstalled. Catches seemed like they were adjusted well, the catch latch just wouldn't stay out. Hasn't done it since.
            Kristi
            1969 Series IIa 109
            1970 Series Wagon
            1974 1/2 MGB
            2004 Disco II-last of her kind

Comment

• siii8873
              Overdrive
              • Jul 2007

I've never had that happen to my doors if the're slammed shut. One problem I do have that I cannot figure out is the locks. If the doors are open I can lock and unlock the doors with the key and it all works fine. If the doors are shut I cannot lock the doors. The key turns like it's locking the door but they do not lock. The lever on the inside for locking from that side moves but not far enough to lock the door.
              THING 1 - 1973 88 SIII - SOLD
              THING 2 -1974 88 SIII Daily Driver - SOLD
              THING 3 - 1969 88 SIIA Bugeye Project
              THING 4 - 1971 109 SIIA ExMod - SOLD
              THING 5 - 1958 109 PU
              THING 6 - 1954 86" HT

Comment

• TeriAnn
                Overdrive
                • Nov 2006

I used to have that problem. once grabbed my passenger's arm and pulled her back as she started to fall out. Once had it pop open on a freeway bridge over the Columbia river and lost a full tool box, stainless steel dog food & water bowls & more. Buy the time I was able to get off the freeway, back across the bridge, off the freeway then back on everything was scavenged. That was pretty much all the hand tools I had in the world.

I broke down and replaced all my latches with Defender anti burst latches and have not popped out anywhere since then.
                -

Teriann Wakeman_________
                Flagstaff, AZ.

1960 Land Rover Dormobile, owned since 1978

My Land Rover web site

Comment

• rwollschlager
                  5th Gear
                  • Sep 2007

many moons ago before i could turn a wrench,
                  my dad was driving the family home in the IIA 88, and we made it to our street no problem. Taking the left hand turn onto our road, my dad gave everyone the fair warning to "hold on".... My mom, who was not holding on or wearing her seatbelt, was promptly jettisoned from the rover and broke her arm. Coulda been much much worse, but no my parents are not divorced now and yes she does still ride in the rover occasionally

My door alignment on my 88 is a little out of wack so I used a bungee chord. You havent seen the whites of your passengers eyes until their door flys open then snaps back, while you act like nothing happened

-Rob
                  ------------------------------------------------
                  72 SIII 88
                  67 SIIA 109
                  82 SIII Stage 1 V8
                  -- http://www.youtube.com/barnfind88 --

Comment

• NickDawson
                    5th Gear
                    • Apr 2009

Originally posted by NelsAnderson
                    Huh, this has never happened to me...guess I need to adjust my door! It did happen in my airplane one time though, but it was the passenger's fault!
                    Used to happen in the 151s I trained in all the time. I loved the look on people's faces when I said "look the door may come open when we take off, if it does, I'll just reach over you and close it"...
                    pale as a ghost!

Comment

Working...