PDA

View Full Version : Another Lightweight Question

siii8873
02-03-2010, 04:45 PM
As I've noted I'm looking for a second daily driver series rover. One model i do not know much about is the 24volt FFR models. Are the electrical parts readily available for these vehicles? Are there any pitfalls with these that might put one out of service for and extended time? i think I read somewhere that they have a different water pump that is no longer available. Are there any parts that are not available. I also would guess that the parts are more costly. Any experience info would be appretiated
Thanks
Bob

Jeff Aronson
02-03-2010, 07:10 PM
I don't think that Lightweights came as 24 FFR models; I've only seen military Series Rovers outfitted that way. The only Lightweights I've seen are Series III models with standard 12 volt electrics.

The Lightweights have some different body panels, a narrower frame, unique hoodsticks, and some unique electrics. They seem to be well supported in terms of parts. They look terrific but they also make the standard Series Rover feel luxurious :).

Series II engines, from 1958-1961, had some different parts, including a different water pump housing. I do not know of differences between the Lightweight's engine and any other Series III motor.

Les Parker at Rovers North lived with his Lightweight for a while and just sold it; he could probably add to the expertise that should follow here.

Good luck!

Jeff

siii8873
02-04-2010, 06:18 AM
Jeff,
I'm pretty sure they made a 24v FFR version, I've seen them posted as such. As I noted I'm not sure of the availability of the parts, electrical mostly, for these. I do not see many listed online on th RN site.
Anyone know the availabilty of the parts. I think the water pump is unique, different bolt pattern, and may be tough to find

derekchace
02-04-2010, 06:38 AM
I am sure they make 24V Lightweights as there is one sitting in my garage right now. Best place for Lightweight parts is PA Blanchard in the UK they stock every thing.

jac04
02-04-2010, 07:08 AM
Just make sure that you know what year the vehicle actually is. Some Lightweights had Lightweight-specific axles, drive flanges, and caps. Later SIII Lightweights had the rationalized axles, and their parts were the same as civilian versions. However, this was after civilian SIII vehicles were being imported to the US. What does this mean? It means that the rationalized axle assemblies have different axles, stub axles, wheel bearings, oil seals than your typical SIII found in the US. Brakes also changed around 1980 to 11" front and improved 10" rear, along with metric brake lines and metric fittings on the master cylinder. These metric lines are not readily available, although I was able to find the MC for my Lightweight.
You just need to know what you are getting yourself into with a Lightweight, especially a late SIII one.

roverlandpark
02-04-2010, 07:35 AM
Your best bet would to be to visit the ELMRA (http://forum.emlra.org/index.php) forum. They can tell you just about anything about military variants including the FFR Lightweight. They will, of course, promote it being stock, but you can convert it to 12V if you would think it would be easier for you in the long run.

BTW, +1 for the Lightweight. I bought Les's Lightweight and couldn't be happier.

SeriesShorty
02-04-2010, 08:25 AM
I'm pretty sure I've seen Lightweight FFR's. But speaking from experience with my IIa 24v FFR, it is a bit more difficult and pricey to find parts. The water pump is indeed different but available at a fair price. Stuff like headlight bulbs are not readily available in the U.S. and are expensive, IIRC they run around $36 plus shipping from the U.K. Luckily, a fellow board member had one and saved the day. You'll pay out the nose if you ever need a replacement generator or starter, and just to do a tune up will cost a small fortune as the parts are 24v AND shielded. Even the spark plugs are not "off the shelf." Flasher relay? Yeah, also ridiculous expensive.

Thanks to forums like this, Guns N Rovers and EMLRA you'd be able to keep your truck going for a while off of used and refurbished parts. But you will spend a lot of time searching and waiting for them to be shipped mostly from across the pond.

Our hosts have some parts available now for the IIa 24v trucks, TNTLR has a few things, too. I can't confirm if it would be any more difficult to find Lightweight FFR specific parts, but it sure seems as if it would be since they are even less common than the IIa FFR.

After a year of ownership I finally gave in and decided to do a conversion to 12v which by default gets rid of some of the military specific stuff. Which is good for other folks keeping their 24v military systems as more of us "convert" it means our old parts now become available. :thumb-up:

If you are up to the challenge and understand that you'll be sitting waiting for used/refurb parts to become available, and don't mind searching and waiting for new parts to ship, then it a Lightweight FFR might be right up your alley. Especially since you'd be using it as a back up driver.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do, and hit me up if you have any specific FFR questions.

Jen

Les Parker
02-04-2010, 12:01 PM
I used to own a 1980 Series III Airportable (the military never termed them Lightweights) for some years. This was a 24v FFR version, that I replaced the alternator with a 24v truck alternator and standard 12v engine electrics. This saved changing the dash guages, wiper motor, fuel senders, bulbs etc.
Not a big deal, in any event.

Les Parker
02-04-2010, 03:09 PM
Kevin,

Glad to learn that the Airportable made it safely to Oklahoma.
Any pics of its arrival you would like to share?
I think I may have some more bits and bobs left over, so I'll send them out next week for you.

:thumb-up:

roverlandpark
02-04-2010, 09:14 PM
Kevin,

Glad to learn that the Airportable made it safely to Oklahoma.
Any pics of its arrival you would like to share?
I think I may have some more bits and bobs left over, so I'll send them out next week for you.

:thumb-up:

No pics yet as SWMBO had the digital camera at work and my cell phone lacks a camera. I'll probably put pics up as soon as the weather clears. Right now, I just keep looking at it in the garage and pinching myself to make sure its not a dream. BTW, Thanks again for the parts. The first batch made it here safely today.

ktom300
02-05-2010, 12:24 AM
I have a 74 FFR24V. The condensor and points failed but were fairly inexpensive from PA Blanchard. 24V bulbs can be had at Napa for same price as 12V bulbs. I've seen sparkplugs on ebay and generators here and there.
From what I've read the 24V electrics are very reliable.