PDA

View Full Version : Body Resassemble Questions

crankin
02-05-2010, 10:20 AM
Body Reassemble
I am about 65% finished with the reinstall of the body and wondering if there are certain phases in which one should install the panels.
So, far here is the steps I have taken…
1. Bulkhead
2. Rear tub
3. From here I attached all the floor rails that bridge the gap between the rear tub and bulkhead.
4. Seatbox
Sound right?

Now the problems… when do I start to tighten everything up and make sure things are lined up correctly? For example, do I first start to tighten the bolt running into the out rigger? Then tighten the two bolts on the bulkhead footer? Then tighten the running board to the rear tub, etc....
I am looking at things and seeing that there is about an inch vertical gap between my passenger floor and the bulkheads footwell top outside corner. I am hoping that as I adjust things that this gap will shrink. However, there are some things weighing up against me…one, is that I had the bulkhead galvanized, two, I had the footwells replaced and welded back in…and the last thing, the floor boards are new replacement ones.

I am wondering if I will just have to live with this gap and explain it to people as a draining system....

crankin
02-05-2010, 12:08 PM
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_dcAzqvv_A6U/S2xeeu2afYI/AAAAAAAAA2s/8MPqOFXfo5Y/s640/DSC04130.JPG

JimC
02-05-2010, 03:17 PM
Here is a quick description-
- mount bulkhea on bolts, don't tighten nuts.
- install tub, aim at bulkhead properly using string strung along top crease of "roll" body line
- bolt bulkhead down
- install doors onto bulkhead and adjust bulkhead for/aft to get door gaps/shutting correct, adjust bulkhead lean as necessary at this time
- install correct number of washers to ensure bulkhead is perfectly positioned based on results from above step, then tighten it down.
- install everything else. Sills, seatbox, floors, everything gets put in depending on how the main body parts fit, minor or major adjustments may have to be made. a few sizes of "quick clamps" can assist greatly

good thing this is an 88, 5 doors are much harder...

Terrys
02-05-2010, 04:04 PM
I see that you are re-installing everything on a new galvy frame. I have done a few of these reassemblies, and I'll just give my two cents.
Put in the 10 rear tub bolts, but leave the front ones loose, or entirely off. You're very likely going to find that even after you think you have good closure lines at the front vertical and rear vertical door gaps, the tub is going to need some upward adjustment. This may likely mean adjusting to bulkhead tilt (6 bolts in the two mounts on the frame.)
It's alot of tweaking, chasing your tail. If you arew using a hardtop, it may help to put the top on and gently snug the bolts holding it to the tub. Then you can adjust the windshiled frame so that the gap between doortop and winsdhield is even.

siii8873
02-05-2010, 06:52 PM
from my experience Terry is right on. Put everything on loose until you get it all where you like it.
+Bolt tub on w/ back tabs, there is minimal adjustment here.
+Bolt the bulkhead on at the outriggers, minimal adjustment here also
+Put on the doors, there is some adjustment here with the hinges
Set them so they line up well with the bulkhead.
+If Its a hard top I would put that on next.
+After that it's a matter of running string lines/ viewing down body sides/ pulling bulkhead for or aft to get doors and windscreen looking good/ shimming tub to get straight line down body, tweaking doors alittle on hinges. It's a little give and take to get the best overall alignment of the various parts.
When you get it all looking good fill gaps with shims to make up gaps and start tightening everything up checking as you go along.
It's fun
Bob

crankin
02-05-2010, 07:47 PM
This sounds like a wonderfully delightful time for all!