PDA

View Full Version : New Starter

vansdonk
02-05-2010, 04:35 PM
I have a problem. I had to replace the starter in the '70 Rover. The one I replaced wasn't factory, it was an integral one put in about 10 years ago when engine was rebuilt. They even put in a nice wiring harness and all. Well, the one I got in the mail yesterday doesn't have enough "holes" for all the wires that come from the old one. There are 6 total that were hooked up and now I only have room for 2. Directions are for when there was a seperate solenoid and now I'm completely confussed. This project will not start until tomorrow and I have someone who is electronically inclined to help as I am not. I will take pics and post to show what I am dealing with. Will continue to pull hair out in the mean time.:D

siii8873
02-05-2010, 07:37 PM
The starter circuit is straight forward and essentially contains three components; Key switch, solenoid, and starter.
The key switch energizes the coil in the solenoid which closes the circuit between the battery and the starter.
The hot side of the battery is connected to one of the large lugs on the solenoid, the other large lug is connected to the starter.
The key switch is connected to the small connection on the solenoid with a White/red wire.
The starter has two connections the one noted above and the ground strap which connects to the frame.
Ther are two other wires (brown wires) connected to the same lug that the battery lead is connected to. These are used to supply power to the fuse box/ignition switch.
You may have some wiring changes made for these wires to reach the starter location. The solenoid on my vehicle is mounted on the battery/air filter stand. All of these wires come from the engine wiring harness in this area.
PM me if you have any questions. This should be fairly easy to straighten out.
Bob

siii8873
02-05-2010, 07:41 PM
If you send me your email I'll send you a sketch