PDA

View Full Version : Replaced Thernostat

GeoffBooth
02-08-2010, 03:37 AM
Hi it’s me again, 95 4.0 SE. In the recent cold weather the temp gauge was only going up to just above the cold mark and no heat from the heaters so I replaced the thermostat. Filled the coolant via the header tank and bleed the system according to the rave cd,. Just says to blow back through the air bleed hose atop the radiator back into the header tank. Now the gauge goes up to just over half way and the heaters blow warm but then the gauge will fluctuate between just under the red then back to just above half way. With the engine running the top hose doesn’t feel over hot but is a bit squishy like there is not much coolant there. seems like a air lock or maybe the new thermostat is bad. I do not feel I got as much coolant back in as to the amount that came out.

Could someone tell me the correct procedure to fill and bleed the system.

kevin-ct
02-08-2010, 07:10 AM
At the dealer, the tech's would run the engine at 2500 rpm's to get the air out
with the bleeder screw open.

careful, the coolant will be hot, don't get it on you.

GeoffBooth
02-09-2010, 03:26 AM
Thanks for the reply Kev. This is the first I've heard about a bleeder screw. Where woukd that be located on a 95 P38?

kevin-ct
02-09-2010, 03:48 AM
For some reason, I was thinking about a Disco 2.

On top of the radiator right hand side there is a small hose 5/16 or something. Remove that (careful not to break the nipple) remove that and top off the coolant tank, when the coolant starts to pour out of that hole put the hose back on and rescuer the clamp.

Check coolant level. Run engine at fast idle (approximately 2,000 rpm) with expansion tank cap off. Top up coolant level with engine
at idle and refit expansion tank cap.

GeoffBooth
02-10-2010, 04:17 AM
Thanks Kev

Don
03-20-2010, 02:39 AM
It will also help to put your heater temp all the way to hi.