PDA

View Full Version : Roverdrive Linkage

JayGoss
02-08-2010, 09:23 AM
I have a Roverdrive installed (Series II). It works, but engaging it requires a lot of effort & it's easy to mis-shift it into the neutral position. It makes pretty grinding noises when you do that. The final bit of the shifting process requires you to jam it into gear with a great deal of force. I've searched other posts and have seen similar writings. Are there any tricks of the trade to getting one of these to shift as well as a Fairey? Has anyone made modifications to the linkage to improve the action?

scott
02-08-2010, 09:36 AM
my fairy od requires double clutching to shift in and out

JayGoss
02-08-2010, 09:40 AM
my fairy od requires double clutching to shift in and out

Hmm. The two that I've had shifted in and out of gear like a dream; they were just super loud and spewed their contents all over the rear door/window on long rides. I have no idea how they are constructed- maybe there's a syncro contained within and yours is worn?

lstrvr
02-08-2010, 05:04 PM
I would definately talk to Roverdrive about that (I thought Ray sold Roverdrive off to his partner? That's the story I remember from my last visit there.) My Roverdrive shifts effortlessly. I do find that like the main gearbox, a slight hesitation in mid throw is required to allow the syncros to do their thing. The new Roverdrive has been redesigned requiring a much shorter throw for engagement.

JayGoss
02-08-2010, 05:16 PM
Is Roverdrive still distributed by White Owl?

rwollschlager
02-08-2010, 06:31 PM
My dad purchased our roverdrive from Wise Owl. At first it used to be a full time job to shift it in and out. We would have to slam it, and there would be lots of grinding, and we all thought we were going to die, etc etc.

After alot of use, its wore in quite nicley. Shifting is not that much of a hassle as the lever doesnt require as much force anymore, and the grinding has subsided pretty well too. When the vehicle is stopped there is no grinding or force required, and if I line the RPM's just right it shifts on the fly without grinding too. With this being said I still prefer to engage it when stopped, before i get onto the highway, and usually do not take it out until stopped at the bottom of the off-ramp.

-Rob

brucejohn
02-09-2010, 07:41 AM
I installed mine a little over 500 miles ago. The shifting is getting better, though I did miss one yesterday or the day before. Someone else said it well, she is knotchy, like two final steps to get in. Now, like with down shifting, if I time it right she goes right in.

Oh- and I bought mine, a new old stock, from Ray last fall.

robert wood
02-09-2010, 08:33 PM
The Generation II SX Roverdrive which is most common in North America uses the 3/4 synchro from a SIII gearbox and the shift pattern is long and slow much like shifting the main box. It shifts quickly out of overdrive but slower into. This Generation II is being phased out. Following suggestions from customers the new Generation III SX uses a much closer and quicker Italian made syncho unit. (Shades of Ferrari).
I've still got the G2 version on my 88 and and if it does not engage I simply start letting out the clutch while keeping pressure on the lever and it slips right in.
Roverdrives are now made by Roverdrive Gear Corporation run by Robyn and myself. We have chosen not to appoint Wise Owl as a Roverdrive dealer. Jeremy Pinney is no longer with Roverdrive but now owns the Rocky Mountain Expedition Equipment business independently.
Ray
(In Vancouver where Olympic Frenzy reigns).

JayGoss
02-10-2010, 10:19 AM
The Generation II SX Roverdrive which is most common in North America uses the 3/4 synchro from a SIII gearbox and the shift pattern is long and slow much like shifting the main box. It shifts quickly out of overdrive but slower into. This Generation II is being phased out. Following suggestions from customers the new Generation III SX uses a much closer and quicker Italian made syncho unit. (Shades of Ferrari).
I've still got the G2 version on my 88 and and if it does not engage I simply start letting out the clutch while keeping pressure on the lever and it slips right in.
Roverdrives are now made by Roverdrive Gear Corporation run by Robyn and myself. We have chosen not to appoint Wise Owl as a Roverdrive dealer. Jeremy Pinney is no longer with Roverdrive but now owns the Rocky Mountain Expedition Equipment business independently.
Ray
(In Vancouver where Olympic Frenzy reigns).

Ray- thanks for clarifying; this explains a lot. I will soon experincing the pleasure of replacing my rebuilt suffix a gearbox with a rebuilt series IIa gearbox. While I'm there I'll be swapping my G2 version over to the new box. Is there a way to upgrade the synchros in the G2 version to make my Rover drive like a Ferrari? :) Seriously though- I would be interested in upgrading synchro if it's an easy process.

robert wood
02-11-2010, 08:18 PM
IMHO - although it can be done - changing to the later synchro is not worth the hassle as you have to change out about half the internal components and dismantle the epicyclic gears. Ray

JayGoss
02-11-2010, 08:28 PM
Thanks for the input- I can live with the Roverdrive moving slowly like the rest of the Rover does!

brucejohn
03-02-2010, 11:08 AM
I am not sure if this is a linkage issue or not. The last two days my roverdrive while not engaged has popped into neutral several times while driving. This morning it was about 30F out and it popped out two times on the way to town (12 miles) and tried to a third.

The first time was just after I pulled out the drive in second on fairly level ground. The second time was as we pulled up a steep hill again in second gear. The third time you could watch the lever moving forward as we continued up the same steep hill. I just rested my hand on the lever and she stayed in. Each time she popped out or tried to I was in second gear.

I only have about 3,000 miles on this roverdrive, it is one of the new old stock ones TallGypsy sold on Ebay late last fall. It came brand new straight from RGC. It is the older, longer throw, though it has the synchros, I believe.

Thanks, any thoughts would be appreciated.

brucejohn
03-03-2010, 06:31 AM
Another piece of the puzzle.

While running errands yesterday I went to head back to the office and the parking brake wouldn't release. Very cool lurching through the parking lot, stalling a couple of times.

By the time I got her home last night I could smell the pads. All I could find was that the adjustment too tight. I know I missed something, but in this thread:

Could back pressure on the roverdrive cause it to jump out of gear?

Tim Smith
03-03-2010, 10:00 PM
Not sure about your Roverdrive unit. I've never experienced anything like what you are describing.

As for the e-brake, It sounds like your lateral mounts are loose or have perishing rubber.

The e-brake lever is mounted to the frame and connects the the e-brake drum on the transfer box which is connected to the frame through rubber mounts. When you pull the e-brake, you are pulling a bar forward (or backward) and if the rubber mounts are failing then the e-brake will start to stick or the e-brake will become less effective. I have to wonder if this might be related to the Roverdrive popping out on you.

Check that short (6" or so) bar which connects the transfer case to the frame and make sure it is intact. Have a friend pull the e-brake while you watch for movement from underneath.

brucejohn
03-03-2010, 10:23 PM
I will take a look tomorrow. I did replace the 4 rubber mounts to the frame last fall on the transmission and engine, though now that you mention it the transmission levers all move forward slightly when I apply the parking brake.