PDA

View Full Version : Roverdrive use

brucejohn
02-09-2010, 07:46 AM
I have had a Roverdrive for a little over 500 miles and have found that leaving her engaged most of the time seems to work best for me. I use her primarily to split gears going up hills. Does anyone else use their overdrive this way? I assume this is similar to those having a Hi-Ratio, except with standard gearing, too?

Linus Tremaine
02-09-2010, 05:03 PM
I cant speak for roverdrive units, but it is generally considered bad to leave the overdrive activated when starting out from a stop. This puts alot of extra stress on its components. This is probably based on fears of breaking fairey units as they are known to be weak. Still, something that expensive should be spared wear whenever possible. I suggest that you leave it disengaged as much as you can using it to split third and fourth and to increase your overall drive ratio in fourth but not for much else. That is how I operate my santana.

robert wood
02-09-2010, 08:04 PM
You can use the Roverdrive in any gear as much as you like without damaging it. However pulling off from a stop in overdrive is quite hard on your clutch. I think you will have more fun with it as Linus suggest using it in third and fourth more than first and second. And don't forget you can also use in in low range which gives you a very versatile range of ratios off road. Ray at RGC.

brucejohn
02-09-2010, 09:50 PM
Well, thank you both. Good advice from a great source.

Tim Smith
02-10-2010, 07:04 PM
I have to agree with Robert. My roverdrive seems strong as nails and I've been known to forget disengaging it at stop lights.

On a slightly unrelated note, I wonder how strong that idler gear is for reverse. One of my favorite moves is to hit overdrive in reverse if I have a long way to go. If there is an attentive audience, you can be sure they will be slack-jawed at the fact you just shifted into second gear in reverse. ;)

JimCT
02-10-2010, 08:22 PM
our '63 Mog has two reverse gears....it does get people looking!

brucejohn
02-10-2010, 08:25 PM
One of my favorite moves is to hit overdrive in reverse if I have a long way to go. If there is an attentive audience, you can be sure they will be slack-jawed at the fact you just shifted into second gear in reverse. ;)

I will have to remember that next I want to make a statement to those behind me.