PDA

View Full Version : galvi chassis questions

msggunny
02-09-2010, 01:14 PM
Looking for input on the following:

Marshland vs richards.

Civillian vs military

Both for an 88 S3

After I tear the body off and assess how bad the back half of the chassis is I will make the call on doing repairs or a swap.

Thanks for the input.

Mountain132
02-09-2010, 02:11 PM
I asked the same question a few weeks back on the forum and it spun into a coil chassis conversation. From what I could tell, Marsland makes their chassis a bit thicker than the original which of course makes them heavier. I believe Richards makes them the same as the original and also retaps the threads after galvanizing. I've heard good results from both, not sure if RN has both Richards and Marslands or just Marslands. I think Marsland just has a series chassis where as Richards has them model specific.

I'm in the market for a new one for a SIIA, but I'd like to have the removable transmission x-member.

On a side note, rusty 40 year old chassis up for grabs

siiirhd88
02-09-2010, 02:59 PM
I have swapped to a Marsland chassis under my 88 and the wife's 109. Both chassis were finished to a high quality and are apparently thicker steel than the stock chassis. There was minimal buildup of zinc in holes, which only required a quick cleanout with a drill. Both chassis had the steering relay mounts for RHD and LHD and both chassis came with removable transmission crossmembers, which I believe is an option. Both chassis had a slight fit problem at one bulkhead outrigger that required a small slice removed from the long bolt tube on the outrigger to get one bulkhead to fit, and the other chassis needed washers as shims on the bulkhead bolt. The 88 chassis did not have all of the exhaust pipe mounting plates that the original chassis did. I would definately use a Marsland chassis again.

I previously had another manufacturer's chassis that I believe was a Richards. It had a very good galvanized finish which had an appearance better than the Marsland chassis, and all holes were clear. I sold it to a friend because but was set up for LHD only, and our trucks are RHD.

The factory military chassis under my 109 has more braces and gussets than the stock chassis. It also has extended spring hangars for a few inches of lift but also has the spring hole locations for a stock ride height. The square rear chassis crossmember gives you a few more inches of clearance but seems to catch and retain more mud. It also looks funny..... The 109 military chassis was set up for two underseat fuel tanks, and had additional braces at the location where the rear fuel tank is located. To use the rear tank I had to cut out the braces and add an extension under the rear crossmember to mount the tank. This wouldn't be a problem on an 88 chassis. The factory chassis is easier to drill and tap compared to the Marsland chassis.

Bob
'96 Disco SE7
'80 SIII 109
'75 SIII 88 V8
'68 SIIA 109 V8

jac04
02-09-2010, 03:29 PM
The Marsland chassis for my military Air Portable seems to be nice quality. There were a few galvanizing 'blobs' on it, but if you are careful they can be filed & sanded smooth while maintaining the galv coating. Several mounting holes (both thru holes & tapped holes) had to be cleaned of galv, but nothing that wasn't expected.

I had to add a shim washer on each side between the chassis & bulkhead to get alignment perfect, but no big deal.

The exhaust hanger locations didn't line up with my exhaust, but I used a NRP stainless exhaust, so I believe that was the problem.

IMO, if you have a military vehicle, put a military chassis under it. I think a civvy chassis looks goofy on a military vehicle.

teechizpet
02-09-2010, 08:09 PM
I finished a frame swap a year ago on my Lightweight. I've not had any experience with the Marsland but i can say that the Richards frame fit perfectly. No shimming or drilling. All of the holes were clear and the galvanized finish was great. No surprises. I would go with Richards again if the need ever arose. I bought it from DAP and rather than pay shipping costs I drove up to Vermont from S.E. Georgia. I saved a lot of money and had a fun road trip. DAP took good care of me as usual. Mike M.

JayGoss
02-11-2010, 08:37 AM
If I'm not mistaken, Mike at ECR had a galvy Series chassis with military rear x-member for sale.

msggunny
02-11-2010, 03:41 PM
If I'm not mistaken, Mike at ECR had a galvy Series chassis with military rear x-member for sale.

Mike whom? if you have his contact info could you pm it to me please?

Thanks.

yorker
02-11-2010, 04:35 PM
I got a Marsland back in the 1990's it was more or less a generic chassis made on the Series III design, I had to drill new holes for the tub but everything went together fine. It came without the spare tank outrigger which was annoying as it was advertised as having one but the price was right and the vendor was kind of fly by night so I didn't bitch. I think any reputable vendor today would make sure you got what you ordered. It DID have the removable gearbox crossmember which is nice.

I'd just get whatever fits your budget and comes with the faetures you want. It would be nice to have a chassis that has two Fuel outriggers- the removable crossmember and a military rear crossmember for example- then you could mount a pintle easily and you would be able to fit military bumperettes.

What would be really cool is an Aussie Mil spec 88 chassis but that would be a real special order...

JayGoss
02-11-2010, 05:19 PM
Mike whom? if you have his contact info could you pm it to me please?

Thanks.

pm sent