X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spenser
    Low Range
    • Oct 2006

Series III and more leg room

Good morning, still searching for a Series vehicle, and if I dont buy it soon my wife is going to kill me as I am driving her nuts searching. Question-originally went to purchase a Classic RR and found that leg room was too small. Will the Series be any better, as I assume that I am going to have to get the Defender seat extensions. And another, I am shopping for 1972-74 series, will that bulkhead easily come out to be replaced with the bar kit? Or do I accept that I am just too large for an english vehicle and move on? I am only 6'4" tall.....thanks for any direction and guidance.
  • LaneRover
    Overdrive
    • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Spenser
    Good morning, still searching for a Series vehicle, and if I dont buy it soon my wife is going to kill me as I am driving her nuts searching. Question-originally went to purchase a Classic RR and found that leg room was too small. Will the Series be any better, as I assume that I am going to have to get the Defender seat extensions. And another, I am shopping for 1972-74 series, will that bulkhead easily come out to be replaced with the bar kit? Or do I accept that I am just too large for an english vehicle and move on? I am only 6'4" tall.....thanks for any direction and guidance.
    I haven't sat in too many Range Rovers but I don't believe that the Series Rover foot room would be better. MY grandfather once said, "That Rover of yours is fine. . . . . . if you don't mind driving with your knees in your chest"
    1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
    1965 109 SW - nearly running well
    1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
    1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

Comment

• crankin
      5th Gear
      • Jul 2008

A friend of mine has a IIa and is 6' 4"...he drives is around town and refuses to take it on long journeys because of the leg room.

But the best advice I can give you is to find a series and ask if you can drive it around for about 20 mins.

Birmabright Brotherhood

Take the vow, join the brotherhood!

Clint Rankin - 1972 SIII SWB

Comment

• SalemRover
        3rd Gear
        • Aug 2007

Lots of tall folk have modified their series for more legroom. Easiest would be D90 seats in a 109 5 door. However, no matter what series rover you get it will require modifications to get sufficient legroom, unless the PO did the job already. Height may also be an issue for you as well. You may end up staring at top of the windscreen. I would definitely find a local series and drive around in one first. Being short I dont need to worry about this. Best of luck!

-Jason

Comment

• Wander
          2nd Gear
          • Jan 2010

What lead you to a RRC? A series is very different in every way so you might not be happy with the lack of pretty much everything that a RR has in spades. If you are looking for something with the features of an RRC you might also consider a D1 or early DII as they are much more current designs (RR was designed in the 60's-came out in early 70's) A 109 with the middle bar and extentions might work if you can get the height sorted. There isn't a lot of room under the steering wheel which is fixed and a taller seat will just make that worse.
          64 IIa 88
          94 Discovery
          06 Toyota 4R (DD)

~Matt
          --------------------------------------------
          "Not all who wander are lost"~Tolkein

Comment

• SeriesShorty
            2nd Gear
            • Sep 2008

I'm 5' even and my IIa fits me perfectly.
            1966 IIa - ex-MOD, ex-FFR, ex-24v
            1997 Discovery SE7 - I'm empty inside without her

Comment

• Spenser
              Low Range
              • Oct 2006

Matt-you raised an interesting point. I have tried Defenders and did not even remotely fit-stomach, steering wheel, one big ugly joined mass of protoplasm....

Comment

• Wander
                2nd Gear
                • Jan 2010

Yeah it's one of the things european sized guys like me (Mr. average-5'10") have left.

If the Disco I doesn't work the DII might as it is larger in all directions to appeal to our market yet still fit on a euro street. If that doesn't work I'd recomend looking into an FZJ80 Land Cruiser (yes...the dark side) or a UZJ 100 Land Cruiser. The 80 was the last LC availible here with solid axles and not as tarted up as the the newer ones. The 100 has a IRS front which isn't a terrible thing unless your doing a lot of rock strewn trails. Both are excellent platforms and very reliable-the 80's are also getting pretty inexpensive.
                64 IIa 88
                94 Discovery
                06 Toyota 4R (DD)

~Matt

Comment

• 109 Pretender
                  1st Gear
                  • Oct 2008

Spencer,
                  Like others have already mentioned - drive before you buy!! I'm 6'2" and my 109 has the factory "adjustable" seats and I barely fit. It's ok for about 1 or 2 hours driving, then I have to pry myself out. My legs and feet go numb after about an hour... This must be qualified with the fact that I also own a 1962 Lotus Super 7 in which I have to use a shoehorn to get into - after that I just get used to it and wear it all day...
                  Seriously, most British and old Japanese vehicles are too narrow/short in the footwell or not tall enough in the cab to be truly comfortable. But, we tall folks still seem to get along because there's something about them we otherwise like - I keep telling myself that anyway... I'd get your wife to go along for the ride too because a series Rover is what I'd call a very committed ride - you really, really have got to need (want) one to live with all its shortcomings (pun intended). But they have loads of character and off road capability which is why most of us purchase them to begin with.

Good luck in your decisions

PS - Sell your wife on its great character, heritage, off roadability, and emphasize the NEED part a lot - get a quick ok and buy before she thinks about it too much! Oh, and don't show or let her drive a more modern 4wd beforehand - the comparison might muddy the waters...

Comment

• Wander
                    2nd Gear
                    • Jan 2010

I wish I could find the source but I saw one that said "Land Rovers are owned by romantics" before I bought my IIa and casually mentioned to my wife (plus I promised we could use it for her Girl Scout troop in this years parade)

Reminding her that being under an old Rover in the garage is a far better place to be than in a bar- not sure if there is any savings to quote but it's worth a shot! When I'm on the hunt for something guitar, flyrod, Land Rover,etc related I always bring up the amount of money my father spends on golf and how I'm no where near that.
                    64 IIa 88
                    94 Discovery
                    06 Toyota 4R (DD)

~Matt

Comment

• Spenser
                      Low Range
                      • Oct 2006

Thanks guys. Wife is really not an issue, she had a Jeep Wrangler for 10 years and still curses the day that she sold it! She wants be to buy the LR, or shut up about it as she is tired of the magazines laying around the house, 'honey lets go look at this rover" vacation side trips. I am starting to see though that I might be going into a Wrangler or similar to make it all fit right.

Comment

• scott
                        Overdrive
                        • Oct 2006

...that I might be going into a Wrangler or similar to make it all fit right.
                        gee if i was too tall i think i'd check into shorten'n the femurs and remov'n a couple of vertibrea first

being 5'10" in a series is nice. on a few occassion i've given a 6'6" buddy a ride and seeing him in the psgr seat is funny, knees against the dash, bent over considerably and head still hit'n the top
                        '64 Series IIA 88 Canvas Tilt
                        '68 Series IIA RHD Ambulance
                        '76 Spitfire 1500
                        '07 LR3 (Series Recovery Vehicle)

Comment

• Cutter
                          4th Gear
                          • Feb 2009

I'm 6'1 and I love the ergonomics of the rover- its strange because I usually have a car seat all the way back but the stock rover seats are surprisingly comfortable despite the bent knees. I had no issue driving all day, though I did have to stop now and then. I like the seats in it better than in my 'modern comfortable' car. Just find one with a rusted out foot well, they are plenty common...

Comment

• Apis Mellifera
                            3rd Gear
                            • Apr 2008

leg room was too small. Will the Series be any better,
                            Only if you stow them in the back.

I'm 6'3" and have an 88. I fit and don't mind the ride, but I did remove a few inches of seat foam. I've never been in a 109, but the thing that limits the 88 is the rear bulkhead.
                            © 1974 Apis Mellifera. Few rights preserved.

Comment

• NickDawson
                              5th Gear
                              • Apr 2009

I'm 5'8" and find the series a little short on leg room.
                              My father is 6'4" and looks like he is in a clown car when he drives it.

Comment

Working...