PDA

View Full Version : do any offroad accessories just bolt on???

glbft1
02-11-2010, 05:54 AM
Got some toys for the rig, the diff protectors bolted right on thinking hey I can do this! then on to a winch mount and tow hooks....... had to cut off metal to get the winch plate to fit(bearmach) and the hooks have no holes ( in the bumper) so now time to drill.... so do most add ons for these rigs also need to cut hammer swear and bleed to get on, just wondering how much beer and band-aids to plan on?:D
BTW the brake master cylinder practically jumped out of the truck and I coated it with anti-seize when I re-installed thank the rover gods....

Terrys
02-11-2010, 06:23 AM
The only good recovery points are those bolted at the point the bumper bolts to the frame horns. Anywhere else is pointless, the bumper is so weak, it will just bend with any load applied to it.

glbft1
02-11-2010, 06:43 AM
yep I put the bolts thru the frame horns for the winch plate. thinking i might get one of ike goss's bumpers ... the series bumper is too thin.. the good thing is I am using grade 8 bolts for all attachments I guess I will drill holes in the winch plate and attach the hooks there

yorker
02-11-2010, 06:58 AM
What did you get?bolt on shackle plates for the front?

http://pangolin4x4.com/pangolin4x4/products/bumpers/bumperconcept.jpg

glbft1
02-11-2010, 09:38 AM
nope got these warn tow hooks from AB... going to send back, will run a chain around both horns as a recovery point this week-end, thinking a pintle in the middle of the bumper, that is what was there to begin with old mod

yorker
02-11-2010, 09:55 AM
Ahhh I assumed you had a civilian bumper- otherwise you'd have had a pintle ont he front already.

TeriAnn
02-11-2010, 10:13 AM
i might get one of ike goss's bumpers .

Don't hold your breath. I ordered and paid for one of his bumpers on 19 Dec '09 and was quoted a 5 week delivery time. 11 Feb '10 and I'm still waiting. :( :( :(

leafsprung
02-11-2010, 10:34 AM
The estimated delivery time is just that, an estimate. The turnaround on laser cutting and especially galvanizing varies and is outside my control. It directly affects when I can deliver a bumper. It is the nature of a custom part compared to an off the shelf part. If you are unhappy with the lead time I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you rather than reading it here. Call anytime. :thumb-up:

jac04
02-11-2010, 11:17 AM
thinking a pintle in the middle of the bumper, that is what was there to begin with old mod
You may want to do a little research on this. I'm looking into using a NATO pintle on the front of my Air Portable since there are provisions in the front bumper for one. I have read that this was never intended as a recovery point, only to allow for "nosing in" of trailers.

SalemRover
02-11-2010, 11:27 AM
so do most add ons for these rigs also need to cut hammer swear and bleed to get on

yes.

http://www.eunos.com/keith/postcards/newyears2002/images/DSCN7437.jpg

Jeff Aronson
02-11-2010, 11:41 AM
Greg, it's just like assembling toys for Tristan or the twins. Tab A always fits into slot B, using screw C. "Any child can do it: asssembly is the opposite of disassembly."

Jeff

Leslie
02-11-2010, 12:49 PM
TeriAnn,

IMHO, it's well worth the wait....

yorker
02-11-2010, 03:16 PM
You may want to do a little research on this. I'm looking into using a NATO pintle on the front of my Air Portable since there are provisions in the front bumper for one. I have read that this was never intended as a recovery point, only to allow for "nosing in" of trailers.

They were also meant for recovery with a straight bar. Not snatch type pulls. Of course that doesn't mean they weren't used that way.

109 Pretender
02-11-2010, 03:55 PM
TeriAnn,

I ordered Ike's HD front bumper last year after my 109 got hit. I had to wait a while, but trust me - it's worth the wait. Only a hard core owner (like you) would ever know it's not factory original - it's that good. Mine fit up perfectly and it's 3/16" thick on the main bumper with 1/4" stiffeners on the backside. This is the bumper that should be on every series Rover ever made. Factory stuff LOOKS like a real bumper - Ike's stuff IS a real deal XXXHD offroad bumper.
You will not be disappointed!

Steve

PS - Johnathan Hanson (editor Overland Journal Mag.) did a nice writeup about his Ike bumper a couple issues ago - maybe spring 09 issue??

JimCT
02-11-2010, 04:46 PM
Don't feel too safe about having an over built bumper when it is bolted to a fairly lightly built frame. Instead of bending up your bumper you end up bending the frame horns it attaches to. Not sure that is better.

gudjeon
02-11-2010, 04:58 PM
I fabricated a bumper for the ser1 out of 3" square tubing that was 1/8" thick. I went with this as it would be light enough and was the about the same thickness as the frame. Cut out the ends to the same radius as the original, heated, bent tabs, and welded it up. Welded on mounting tabs from 1/4" stock drilled and welded in. Ground off the hand crank fitting to refit onto the welded tube to pass it through.

All done in true old school fashion using oxy-acetylene and arc welding. Can't tell it from original unless you look closely. :thumb-up:
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d187/gudjeon/IMG_1357.jpg

JayGoss
02-12-2010, 09:49 AM
so do most add ons for these rigs also need to cut hammer swear and bleed to get on, just wondering how much beer and band-aids to plan on?:D

I think lev-o-gauges stick on with double sided tape. You can stick one on and spend all day in the garage drinking beer, admiring your Rover. Band-aids are dependant upon whether you stick on the lev-o-gauge before or after drinking the beer. :)

luckyjoe
02-12-2010, 11:16 AM
BKP badge photo !

Yours still has paint?!

Regards,

Andrew IIA
02-12-2010, 01:11 PM
Yours still has paint?!

Regards,
I was wondering the same thing :confused:

bpj911
02-12-2010, 04:28 PM
I have an Ike's bumper on my truck with a warn 8274. Very nice. Somethings are worth waiting for. Dec. 19 doesn't seem too long considering the holidays, etc. I also have galvanized rock sliders on my 109 from Ike. Really nice as well.

The guy works hard and is an asset to the LR community.

Like I said before, this is only my 2nd rover but have been playing with other trucks for a long time. As poorly as these trucks are constructed we need as many people who cater to these vehicles as possible. I am sure someone is going to take that wrong. :D