PDA

View Full Version : Elec. Fuel Pumps

Wander
02-12-2010, 01:33 PM
My IIa has an electic fuel pump that the PO added. I am having some stalling issues that I feel are most likely a clogged filter so that's on tap for this weekend. I have no idea of how long it's been having this problem or in what shape the pump is in so I am going to replace the pump as well to be sure.

Are there any pumps you all like over others?

scott
02-12-2010, 01:46 PM
i gotta a cheap $40 one from the chain auto parts store. get a low pressure one and maybe even get a pressure regulator. i keep a spare in the truck too. the cheap ones come with a little filter on the "in" side but put a easy to get to and change plastic jobby between the tank and the pump.

gudjeon
02-12-2010, 01:54 PM
Low pressure electric pump for carbs from Napa with an inlet filter. Fitted a bypass filter at the carb and kissed vapour lock goodbye. Modern fuels formulated for injection are more volatile and unstable at high temps in a carby system, especially at high altitude. That issue has been bid farewell also.:thumb-up:

Wander
02-12-2010, 02:27 PM
That's exactly the plan-filter before pump and before carb. Good to hear the cheapy autoparts store pumps are good. What is the pressure limit you use for the filter?

gudjeon
02-12-2010, 02:36 PM
I think from memory the Napa one is rated for about 8-10 lbs. I run a bypass filter fitted for Chrysler products from the 80's. This drops it down to lower pressure for a Landy carb's needs and keeps a constant flow going so it stays cool and instantly releases pressure when shut off. No leaking into the manifold from heat soak when shut off. I've never tested what the final pressure is for a number. I just know it works for me.

gudjeon
02-12-2010, 07:10 PM
Found my old parts boxes: Napa E8012S Electric pump
Napa Gold 3054 Bypass filter

Set it and forget it

Wander
02-12-2010, 09:01 PM
Thanks-I'll write this down with the rest of my rover notes.

ScottT
02-14-2010, 11:48 AM
Out of curiosity, where do you mount the electric pump?

scott
02-14-2010, 12:17 PM
e-pumps are pushers not suckers so mount it close to the tank. i mounted mine inside of the right frame rail next to the tank. i've an 88

TeriAnn
02-14-2010, 12:37 PM
Electric fuel pumps in general are good at pushing fuel and not at sucking it. Manufacturers usually recommend locating it close to the fuel tank and horizontally in line with the tank. They also say to put a fuel filter between the pump and tank to keep particles from clogging the pump.

Stock Land Rover carbs, Weber and Rochester RV carbs like low pressure, high volume fuel delivery. Think in terms of 3 to 4 lbs pressure at idle and the pressure staying at 1-1/2 lbs or higher at full RPM (at least 2 lbs at 3000 RPM). Much higher and the float valve doesn't close properly. If the pump pumps over 5 lbs at idle a fuel pressure regulator on the output would be a good idea.

For fuel delivery I don't think you can beat a stock mechanical pump that is pumping within spec. Mechanical fuel pumps very seldom fail in ways that stop fuel delivery. Usually a mechanical pump goes bad with plenty of warning by lowering the pressure and or volume. A poor job of rebuilding though can allow a pump valve improperly peened into place to drop out.

When electric pumps die they usually just stop pumping and you are dead in the water until you replace it or fix an electrical problem. And by their nature electric pumps tend to be noisy. Most every company offers a quiet mount for their pump.

Some people put an electric pump in Series with a mechanical pump for extra reliability.

For an electric pump there is the inexpensive Facet Posi-Flo # 60104 pump.

http://www.facet-purolator.com/images/oem/posi-oem.jpg

ScottT
02-14-2010, 09:44 PM
Thanks Scott & TeriAnn,
A buddy had an 88 with an electric pump the PO put on and I never understood why; stock pumps are easy to come by.

allende
02-15-2010, 10:50 PM
Terri Ann: Recently went dead in the road and found that indeed, one of the non return valves in my mechanical pump (SIII 88) had actually flipped upside down in the body of the pump. Also suspect that during a recent visit to my mechanic he "borrowed" my OEM unit and replaced it with an aftermarket one, but that's another story. Some other friends with Series vehicles and I have recently experienced vapor lock at high altitude (over 4,000 ft) in hot weather (over 95 deg F). Thanks for the suggestion on the pump. Will try it.

scott
02-16-2010, 12:23 PM
i to had (i hope it's all behind me) issues in 95+ temps driving around above 5000 ft. i'm running w/ a weber 2 brl. i drilled out and tapped the alternant fuel inlet and will be running a 1/8" return line to my tanks. i routed my fuel line to a filter then an e-pump then a pressure regulator set at 2.5 psi then the mech pump then inline filter then carb.

Wander
02-16-2010, 01:03 PM
My e-pump is mounted to the cross member just forward of the access hatch under the middle seat which makes it very convienent to get to. If the duel filter doesn't work I may go back to the manaul pump-probably one of the pro-line's from our sponsor. I sent the PO a letter when I bought asking for information on the work he did-or had done but I never got a reply. You are right it is noisy, it thumps away when you turn the key.