PDA

View Full Version : Galvanization Question

amcordo
02-12-2010, 06:05 PM
Can you galvanize a differential? And I mean after you remove all the innerds... or are the clearances perfect?

brucejohn
02-12-2010, 06:16 PM
Never heard of anyone doing that. On mine I keep the innards oiled and driving it keeps the 'outards' oiled too.

PeterK
02-13-2010, 08:48 AM
By differential, do you mean axle housing or the actual third member?

I've often thought about galvanizing an empty axle housing, as there would be limited clean up after galv required, mostly to protect the rust haven axle reinforcements.

The third member would require much too much work to clean up after galv and being cast, isn't a rust issue really, other than cosmetic.

I use POR-15 and it's held up very well.

Cheers

Peter

jac04
02-13-2010, 09:00 AM
I would also be a little worried about warping the casing. The diff mounting flange is machined perpendicular to the stub axle mounting flanges. Also, you would need to clean-up these surfaces after galvanizing.

Broadstone
02-13-2010, 03:35 PM
I know I have seen galvanized axle cases in the U.K.. If you are talking about the actual differential case, I do not see any advantage to galvanizing that as I have never seen or heard of them rotting. The diff pan and the long side reinforcement channel is the only rust problems I have seen, they are both east repairs though.

amcordo
02-13-2010, 04:39 PM
Cool! I didn't have the terminology correct, but you guys got the idea. Just curious after I saw an 88 with a completely corroded through axel housing.

Bud
02-13-2010, 07:47 PM
I've thought about it.

To solve the mounting flange problem, I think you could bolt up sacrificial rings to the three flanged surfaces. Distortion would be another problem, but I doubt it would be bad. I would think that such distortion could be resolved at home with the right measuring tools, or by a shop used to such jobs. Like most things, it just depends on how badly you want it.