PDA

View Full Version : series III lights

yank
02-14-2010, 03:53 PM
Do they still make the red rectangle side lights for the back of a SIII?
Same ? on the rear big orange lights.

73series88
02-14-2010, 04:02 PM
i dont think they make them anymore but i could be mistaken.
i had to get mine off of ebay
their actually the same ones from a few mgs and triumphs
there are a few sets on there now
look under lucas light or lucas side.
good luck
aaron

fishguy
02-14-2010, 06:25 PM
Do you need new rubber bases or structural parts? I got some boots from a Brit Car place in Atlanta...I have not tried to fit them but this is what I purchased:

http://www.englishparts.com/products/BASE--RUBBER--REAR-SIDE-MARKER-LAMP/5946/282-260.html

As for the big directional round lamps...I have 2 lenses but the bases are TOAST! Search on ebay, there were some there but pricey.

yank
02-14-2010, 07:24 PM
Thats good news on the side markes. I wish some one made new rubber for the tail lights. Thats really all I need.

JayGoss
02-14-2010, 10:20 PM
I always try to direct folks to our host, out of respect for them hosting us and all- but I don't think they have the original red side marker lamps. (Les- please chime in if you've got these lamps).

Here's a place that does:

http://www.roversdownsouth.com/series-lamps.htm

I have no idea how this guy gets this stuff- he occasionally has some of the obscure items. You'll pay for it though!

yank
02-15-2010, 07:14 AM
Ya, I only posted because I was pretty sure RN does not have them. I'm not sure if the big orange one's were used on anything but US series 3 trucks. Can't even find them on UK ebay.

JayGoss
02-15-2010, 08:16 AM
I'm not sure either- but I've heard that some of the lights on NAS Series Rovers were the same as those used on other British NAS cars (MG, Triumph, etc). I wish I had some links to send you- but try to find some MG car parts suppliers via Google- you may luck out there. I think the side marker lights and reverse lights were used on MG's....perhaps the large yellow directional was used on another vehicle as well.

yank
02-15-2010, 08:41 AM
If you google the part # Lucas L882 nothing comes up. That make me think its a pretty rare item.

bmohan55
02-15-2010, 08:51 AM
A pretty close replacement can be found a NAPA for $12...I'll be puting the amber ones in this week.

fishguy
02-15-2010, 09:51 AM
I always try to direct folks to our host, out of respect for them hosting us and all- but I don't think they have the original red side marker lamps. (Les- please chime in if you've got these lamps).

Always...but these Series III lights are NLA. I've spent many a lunch hour searching for Lucas part numbers.

yank
02-15-2010, 09:53 AM
I mite just go with the small ones for now. It will look a little funny with the rusy hallo around it.

TedW
02-15-2010, 04:04 PM
Do you need new rubber bases or structural parts? I got some boots from a Brit Car place in Atlanta...I have not tried to fit them but this is what I purchased:

http://www.englishparts.com/products/BASE--RUBBER--REAR-SIDE-MARKER-LAMP/5946/282-260.html

As for the big directional round lamps...I have 2 lenses but the bases are TOAST! Search on ebay, there were some there but pricey.

fishguy: Are these bases flat or angled? As you probably know, the bases for Rovers should be flat, but many of these bases (such as for the Spitfire & GT6) are angled to compensate for curved sheetmetal.

I noticed at the British Invasion that these bases were being remanufactured in a silicone type rubber (or so it seemed to me). They looked very nice.

Two NOS 4" amber lenses just sold last week on ebay - for $64 and $54 respectively.

Ouch!

amcordo
02-15-2010, 06:01 PM
I have a couple of the original ones that have a square section that lights up and an angled reflector. Both yellow and red if you want them - I have no use for them.

fishguy
02-15-2010, 06:14 PM
@ TedW

All I got was the Side light boots...my hardware for the sidelights is still serviceable. As I recall those were flat.

The big rear turn signals not so much. I'll need to replace those completely but I do have 2 decent lenses, nice price to sell lenses.

scott
02-15-2010, 07:55 PM
is this what you guys are talking about http://www.victoriabritish.com/icatalog/sg/full.aspx?Page=171

Mountain132
02-16-2010, 03:02 PM
More alternate parts. A fairly decent replacement for the Lucas four-inch amber lens is a replacement lens by Grote, which can be found at Central Tractor for about $2.79. It is their part number 55573. The Grote lens is not drilled, but that can be remedied by drilling, and you will need to grind a little flat place for the machine screw head. It was a bit shallower than the one from the Prince of Darkness, so you'll need to get shorter machine screws. If you get flathead screws, you can countersink the front of the lens where the screw head seats.
Reprinted from the OVLR Newsletter, October 1997

http://www.lrfaq.org/Series/FAQ.S.alt_fourinchamberlens.html

Has anyone used these?

yank
02-16-2010, 03:53 PM
I don't think the grote lights sit flush with the body.

Tsmith
02-17-2010, 03:29 PM
Moss Motors has a MG Midget sidelight that is similar. I think the SIII lights were flat and the drawing here shows an angled cross section:

http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=29347

The same lights were used on by Morgan. They show a photo of them in the catalogue of some of the Morgan parts suppliers...that doesn't mean that they HAVE them.

Tom Smith
SII

amcordo
02-17-2010, 03:38 PM
They do not sit flush. These are the two I'm sending you Phill. See the pic - you must have a hole in the body for the plug the lamp fits into, but the rest of the light's housing sits outside the body with two screw holes. If anyone gets these I would STRONGLY suggest sealing the metal portions with a clear epoxy and greasing up the plug that you put the lamp into with a good amount of vaseline. They tend to rust (what doesn't) fast and in a few seasons you will never get a burned-out lamp out of the socket without planning ahead.

siii8873
02-17-2010, 04:13 PM
I need one of the chrome pieces to complete my set. If anyone has one I'd be interested

yank
02-17-2010, 08:17 PM
Thats what I was looking for. Thanks again

Aaron I will probably have an extra trim I can give you.

siii8873
02-22-2010, 04:18 PM
I need one of the chrome pieces for my side lights if anyone has one.