PDA

View Full Version : bypassing the heater core

wirewheelz
02-15-2010, 09:29 AM
I have a '94 LWB that I suspect has a heater core issue. I'm getting "mist" from the defrost vents, which leads me to believe thats the issue. I live in Houston and can get by without heat so is it an option to bypass the heater core if it means I don't have to pull the dash apart? Just want to see what my options are here before I commit to the heater core replacement.
cheers, Jeff

jimsshuman
02-19-2010, 07:21 AM
i haven't looked at this area of my truck specificly so i can't go into detail but theoreticly speaking you should be able to simply disconnect the hose from the inlet side of the core and reconnect it to the the nipple where the coolant reenters the motor/block and remove all together the the other hose. now having said that, it can't possibly be that simple on a RR but i think it should not be a huge hassle.
good luck

mattrichards429
02-20-2010, 06:04 PM
you have to have heat to get it inspected. just throw another core in there

ctrangie
02-28-2010, 06:48 PM
I can't give specifics because I haven't had to do it to a fuel injected car and the manifolds are a bit different but basically you've got 2 pipes at the back end of the manifold with hoses leading to the heater core. Disconnect them and make up a U shaped hose to reconnect the pipe. On the carbed manifold it is pretty tight and the hose will kink so you need use a bit of copper pipe in the bend. Fuel injection might have more space but I doubt it.