PDA

View Full Version : Canvas doors?

readyman
02-15-2010, 01:13 PM
I want to replace the doors on my series IIA with a canvas door similar to what one would find on a jeep or light weight military transport and was wondering if anyone could direct me to a company that makes such a product. If not, I am sure I can manufacture them on my own, but I would appreciate the advice.

scott
02-15-2010, 03:07 PM
i want 'em too. but i will build my own. use some 5/16 round stock, canvas that matches my soft top, zippered window that folds in. but i've a bunch of other things that need done first these might be a next winter project. i'm thinking the only advantage though is super quick door removal/install vs kind a quick door removal/install

jac04
02-15-2010, 06:03 PM
I haven't seen any canvas doors available either. I was considering some designs for a canvas half door for my Lightweight, but nothing seems to look right.

ScottT
02-15-2010, 09:55 PM
I saw these online years ago with the idea of eventually building something similar with marine snaps on the frame to be used with snap-on covers. They are still on the to-do-list.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3027/2787494751_0dccdb26a7_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3052/2788348324_8ec8ab11c5_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3253/2788348398_c78cb03e14_o.jpg

TJR
02-15-2010, 10:20 PM
Years ago a guy had listed on ebay a set of canvase door tops. S.Africa or Australia military issue if I recall correctly.

allende
02-15-2010, 10:39 PM
Made some from sunbrella fabric and 30mil clear vinyl for our annual trips to the SE Oregon desert. Worked well. Exmoor Trim of the UK just came out with something similar based on regular doortops.

griswald
02-16-2010, 10:41 AM
I think those wire mesh doors are about the coolest Mod I have seen on a Series Rover. Does anyone know anything about who owns that Rover, or how they made them (or where you can purchase them?)

Best,
Griswald

readyman
02-16-2010, 10:52 AM
Thanks all for the thoughts; the Exmoor products are pretty neat and I will probably end up making my own doors (Canvas just makes sense in Texas, especially with our summers).

scott
02-16-2010, 10:58 AM
I think those wire mesh doors are about the coolest Mod I have seen on a Series Rover. Does anyone know anything about who owns that Rover, or how they made them (or where you can purchase them?)

Best,
Griswald

they look pretty ease to fab. just peal off the aluminum skin and weld on the mesh

ScottT
02-16-2010, 11:00 AM
To be honest I don't even remember what website I found them on.
I've had the images for several years.
I have been looking for bad skin doors in order to use the frames since I first saw them.

Best,
Griswald

LaneRover
02-16-2010, 11:16 AM

Best,
Griswald

Actually even if you don't weld you could just take off the aluminum skins, drill holes in the frames and bolt the mesh on with some bolts with large washers on them.

jac04
02-17-2010, 01:30 PM
Exmoor Trim of the UK just came out with something similar based on regular doortops.
Our host are Exmoor distributors. I'll have to contact them regarding this. I'm about to pull the trigger on a set of Rocky Mountain Door Tops, but I'd go canvas if I could.

EDIT: Just saw the door tops on the Exmoor site under New Products. They are just regular steel/alum. frames with a zip-out window fitted. I was hoping that they were more of a lightweight frame with a canvas covering. I'll just go with the RM door tops.

TedW
02-17-2010, 01:54 PM
I'll just go with the RM door tops.

You'll love 'em. RM door tops are teh awesome.

ScottT
02-17-2010, 02:21 PM
I too was impressed by the quality of the RM door tops.

You'll love 'em. RM door tops are teh awesome.

yorker
02-17-2010, 07:56 PM
why do you want canvas doors?

Tim Smith
02-18-2010, 08:02 AM
Those screen doors keep reminding me of this image for some reason. Does that mean something? :o

http://lukasland.com/humour/Visual-Nice/Transport-01/Plumbers-Truck.jpg

KevinNY
02-18-2010, 09:36 AM
Badger makes soft door tops.

Leslie
02-18-2010, 12:38 PM
I have been looking for bad skin doors in order to use the frames since I first saw them.

Problem is, you usually have the frames rot before the skin.... :rolleyes:

jac04
02-18-2010, 01:51 PM
Badger makes soft door tops.
I contacted them for additional info. I'll let you know what I find out. My last restoration used a Badger soft top, so I'm expecting excellent quality and a corresponding price. I would love a set in tan canvas to match my desert tan paint job. We'll see what happens.

thixon
02-18-2010, 02:44 PM
I'm still not clear on why you'd want canvass door tops or whole doors. With the doors, is the possibility of quick release to go doorless?

FWIW, my experience with soft door tops on a jeep is that they always leak air, water, and the zip out windows always tear up at the zipper. And yes, I mean much more leakage than is normal with original equipment rover door tops and doors!

amcordo
02-18-2010, 03:12 PM
When you remove the aluminum skin from the door frame does it permanently damage the aluminum? Does anyone make replacement galvanized frame parts to swap out old corroded ones? Just curious.

thixon
02-18-2010, 03:39 PM
When you remove the aluminum skin from the door frame does it permanently damage the aluminum? Does anyone make replacement galvanized frame parts to swap out old corroded ones? Just curious.

If you do it right...no. It doesn't hurt to anneal before you remove them, but it can be done without doing so first. Most will tell you that you need a special set of pliers, or some other such tool, but you don't. You can do it with a normal set of pliers, a chisel, and re-install with a hammer and dolly.

Oh yeah, it also depends on the condition of the skins. If they're badly corroded at the bottom, give it up.

If you want to try it, and need some help, PM me, and I'll walk you through it.

Our hosts sell a kit to rebuild the bottom section of the door frames (requires welding).

KingSlug
02-18-2010, 04:27 PM
You can heat the Al to make it more maleable. See green bible under body repair.

Jared

thixon
02-18-2010, 07:53 PM
You can heat the Al to make it more maleable. See green bible under body repair.

Jared

Jared,

be careful just "heating" it. Too much and you'll warp the daylights out of the panel. To correctly anneal a 5000 series alum alloy (what birmabright is), it needs to be heated to about 650F, then allowed to cool back down (don't quench it!). You can get crayons at your local welding shop that melt at various temps. Those are great. just mark up the panel, and heat till the crayons melt.

Me, I'm too thick skulled to do it the right way, so here's a trick, but I make no warranties. You can put a good layer of soot on what you're trying to anneal with just acetylene. Then crank up the O2, and start heating the panel. Once it gets to around 600 to 700, the soot will burn off (begin to dissapear). If you try this, be careful. There's a thin line between too much heat (warp city), and burning off the soot.

SafeAirOne
02-18-2010, 10:24 PM
I haven't re-skinned my doors yet (replacement doorskins are pretty cheap), but isn't there a sealant/insulator between the aluminum and the steel framework? I ask, because I saw them use a sealant-type stuff in a write-up about re-skinning the doors in an old issue of LRM or LRW. I just don't know if the factory did this on the original doors. If so, it'll probably have an impact on the re-usablility of the old skins.

BTW--Strangely, I was just thinking about a similar canvas door thing a few weeks ago, right before this thread came out. I envisioned a custom-made wire-mesh door, generally similar to the one pictured earlier in this thread. There would be curtain fasteners on the interior side of the doors, so that if the weather went to heck you could wrap a canvas cover around the outside of the mesh door and fasten the canvas to the curtain fasteners on the interior side of the door.

Like so:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4025/4368980941_b0d55feb9c_o.gif

Momo
02-18-2010, 11:41 PM
This might be totally useless given the original question, but I run my 109 pickup without top and doors for part of the year and it's really nice. Unless you have sudden thunderstorms in the warm months or the temp dips low on summer nights, I don't think fabricating canvas doors is worth the trouble.

I have seen canvas doors on an 88 once. The door frame was actually steel rod for the horizontal runs, and the vertical components were the standard Rover door assembly. The guy who owned it swore they were some kind of factory piece, maybe some military part from SA or AUS or other arid/tropical climate. They didn't look home built. I didn't have a camera phone at the time and I've never seen the guy since. But anyhow, maybe they are out there. Search overseas LR forums, you might find someone who can provide reference photos.

SafeAirOne
02-18-2010, 11:48 PM
This might be totally useless given the original question, but I run my 109 pickup without top and doors for part of the year and it's really nice. Unless you have sudden thunderstorms in the warm months or the temp dips low on summer nights, I don't think fabricating canvas doors is worth the trouble.

I don't know about the original poster, but that's the only reason I'd want the canvas covers.

I run my 109 without doortops in the summer too, though I keep the doortops in the back so I can just slip them in when it rains. They rattle around a bit, just sitting in the holes, but you stay slightly drier than no door tops. ;)

Momo
02-19-2010, 12:01 AM
Mark, I take the entire door off, not just the tops. I'm pretty sure it shaves a second or two off my quarter mile.:D

scott
02-19-2010, 12:26 AM
i know i said i had given some thought to canvas doors, and i did think the steel mesh ones were cool but i have run without doors. done it in the rain, done it in the cold. and i guess being the lazy a$$ i am i will never make a canvas or mesh doors. i'll just take the doors off in another month or so and leave 'em off 'til the frost hits the pumpkins

SafeAirOne
02-19-2010, 12:36 AM
I used to go doorless when I had an 88, but in a 5-door 109, I just don't think it looks right.

crankin
02-19-2010, 09:11 AM
Are you guys just leaving the hinges on the door post?

scott
02-19-2010, 10:17 AM
Are you guys just leaving the hinges on the door post?

i am. i just pull the pins and loosen the door side of the top hinge

Momo
02-19-2010, 03:13 PM
Same. I just pull the pins and leave the hinge halves alone.

thixon
02-19-2010, 03:31 PM
I ask, because I saw them use a sealant-type stuff in a write-up about re-skinning the doors in an old issue of LRM or LRW. I just don't know if the factory did this on the original doors. If so, it'll probably have an impact on the re-usablility of the old skins.

Safeair,

Its basically just body sealer, and won't impact the re-usability of the door skins at all. In fact, when you re-skin, you should use a body sealer of some type anyway.

Also, you mention that door skins are cheap. I can't find any anywhere. I bought the last one I could find a couple months ago. If you have a source, share it please. Body panels are becoming hard to find.

brucejohn
02-19-2010, 03:53 PM
Also, you mention that door skins are cheap. I can't find any anywhere. I bought the last one I could find a couple months ago. If you have a source, share it please. Body panels are becoming hard to find.

I don't know about the economics, but our hosts have them listed.

crankin
02-19-2010, 04:03 PM
Safeair,

Its basically just body sealer, and won't impact the re-usability of the door skins at all. In fact, when you re-skin, you should use a body sealer of some type anyway.

http://ace.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pACE3-1140214dt.jpg
PLIABLE ROPE CAULK use to seal seatbox to rear tube, floor boards, etc... Great stuff.

SafeAirOne
02-19-2010, 10:07 PM
Safeair,

Travis--The sealant/adhesive I saw the panel beaters using in the article was something squirted out of a caulking gun, IIRC. Probably shouldn't be a problem bad if the factory used the semi-solid type of sealant referred to.

As for the replacement skins...they were sold for about $55 a piece by a company that's located in New York that has been in the rover parts business for a long, long time. A company who seems to have abandoned the series rover owner in favor of the lure of the coil and airbag-suspended rovers, judging by their catalog mailers and website over the last few years.

Anyhow, I just checked--those folks now only list the front right skin as being available on their site now and even then, it says to call to check availability. Looks like you've bought up all the rest of them! ;)

jac04
03-02-2010, 07:50 AM
This thread got me thinking, and I might just make myself a set of canvas doors for my Lightweight. To retain the door latch, my plan is to use a set of original door frames and cover them in canvas (assuming that I can get canvas by the yard from Exmoor to match my top). There won't really end up being any real benefit to the doors other than looking unique. Now, I just need to find a decent set of Lightweight door frames. Anyone?
Here is a quick & dirty of what it would look like (the canvas color is a little too dark, but you get the idea):
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j126/jac04/canvasdoor.jpg

xsbowes
03-02-2010, 11:35 PM
How hard would it be to make tube doors with canvas or even wide net mesh covers?

ScottT
03-03-2010, 06:50 PM
I've run a Pertronix for years with any issues. I do carry a set of points & gap tool, just in case.

High-end upgrade which I suspect some will see as sacrilegious:

http://www.malloryperformance.com/ProductDetails.aspx?MajID=530&MinID=5327&productID=2308&txtSearch=4732001

SafeAirOne
03-03-2010, 11:01 PM
How hard would it be to make tube doors with canvas or even wide net mesh covers?

Interesting idea.

I don't think you'd need a frame, providing you could put net anchors at the hinge locations on the front and at the seatbelt mounting locations on the rear (SIII w/hardtop in mind--Not sure how you'd do the rears on an airportable.

These folks (http://www.ahh.biz/manufacturing/index.htm)can make any type of netting to your specifications.

The M151 R.O.P.S. (rollover protection system) is the inspiration for this thought:

http://www.tnjmurray.com/pictures/Figure_160.jpg

jac04
03-04-2010, 11:28 AM
Interesting idea.

Interesting indeed.

SafeAirOne
04-08-2010, 06:42 PM
Interesting advert for a convertable door system for J**p doors (http://www.quadratec.com/showcases/bestop_jeep_tops/highrock_4x4/element_Doors/default.php?sgsc=QNEWSLET20100407&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_source=20100407&utm_content=merch2).

msggunny
04-08-2010, 06:45 PM
I saw these online years ago with the idea of eventually building something similar with marine snaps on the frame to be used with snap-on covers. They are still on the to-do-list.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3027/2787494751_0dccdb26a7_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3052/2788348324_8ec8ab11c5_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3253/2788348398_c78cb03e14_o.jpg

Thank you for posting this, i have been looking for it for a while....

msggunny
04-08-2010, 06:50 PM

Best,
Griswald
If memory serves me correctly that truck is from South Africa. I remember reading about them, maybe Landyonline.co.za? Not sure.

ducttape
11-21-2010, 12:43 PM

Best,
Griswald

I agree. I am hoping by the bottom of this thread there will be an answer!

RoverForm
11-21-2010, 08:42 PM
I agree.
really?! man... i like the idea but the material is way off!

definitely too mad max.

LaneRover
11-22-2010, 06:20 AM
really?! man... i like the idea but the material is way off!

definitely too mad max.

Only if you are sporting a mohawk and wearing chaps and a thong

stomper
11-22-2010, 06:30 AM
LaneRover, you owe me a new keyboard! thanks for the visual so early in the morning! Made my day!:o

ducttape
11-22-2010, 06:49 AM
Only if you are sporting a mohawk and wearing chaps and a thong

Whats wrong with a Mohawk?

Seriously, I agree for 'normal' use they are a bit over the top but for warmer weather, for mountain driving, for fun, I like em. Besides, if we were trying to drive something normal, or discrete looking, we'd be driving Toyotas. One of the things that is neat about a Rover is that they are similar to the new MINIs in that even though there are only 2, 3 or a hand full of models, they are really exceptionally modifiable in the little nuances that make them personable to the driver.

To each his own!

So, what's wrong with a Mohawk? I wish I had hair on that part of my head to sport one! (you kill joys you)

LaneRover
11-22-2010, 07:30 AM
LaneRover, you owe me a new keyboard! thanks for the visual so early in the morning! Made my day!:o

I seem to be collecting people that I owe keyboards to!

So, what's wrong with a Mohawk? I wish I had hair on that part of my head to sport one! (you kill joys you)

Nothing wrong with a mohawk - just a Mad Max reference (2nd film).

I too wish I could sport a mohawk these days, not that I would but I would like to be able to!

2aRover
02-24-2011, 11:58 AM
Thank you for posting this, i have been looking for it for a while....

That's actually my truck. The photo posting is on D-90.com, and the mod is entitled Vented Doors. I took the doors off one day and my wife, um, "objected" because the kids were still young. But the ventilation was terrific. The expanded mesh was how I solved the problem. It also serves to keep potentially loose objects from exiting the truck, like my computer brief.

The velcro tabs that can be seen on the inside of the door frames are for attached Cordura "curtains" for those chilly or wet moments.

Cheers,

Lyndon