PDA

View Full Version : Screw size for speedometer to tranny

bmohan55
02-16-2010, 07:39 AM
I replaced my speedometer cable last night (quite fiddly with an overdrive!) and lost one of the three screws that hold the cable to the transmission. After working so hard to get two of the screws in I am reluctant to pull one back out to match it up. Can anyone tell me the size I need?

BTW is there a section in the Green bible that has this data, I looked but couldn't find it.

greenmeanie
02-16-2010, 09:29 AM
IIRC they are either 1BA or 2BA which are fairly difficuly to come by. As I have a habit of dropping these and they are a pain to fit I rethreaded mine for #8 screws. I now have allen head screws that are fairly simple to install with a ball end allen wrench.

Les Parker
02-16-2010, 09:34 AM
They are 2 BA, in a pinch you could use the dash screws from a Series II/IIA. I like the idea of re-tapping the threads and using a cap screw or allen wrench.

TeriAnn
02-16-2010, 10:20 AM
IIRC they are either 1BA or 2BA which are fairly difficuly to come by. As I have a habit of dropping these and they are a pain to fit I rethreaded mine for #8 screws. I now have allen head screws that are fairly simple to install with a ball end allen wrench.

That's what I did back when. I used an Allen head so I could use a long shaft allen wrench. Made installation a snap.

Or just get a GPS that tells you how fast you are going in big numbers. :D

morgant
02-16-2010, 02:01 PM
I didn't seem to have any issues with these screws, but it seems that most people complain about size/access. Is RHD easier to access? Or is it just because I'm IT/admin by profession so I consider these to be large screws?

scott
02-16-2010, 02:09 PM
it's the o/d that makes it tight

morgant
02-16-2010, 02:21 PM
Ah, I'd love to have an OD someday, so that is very good to know.

bmohan55
02-16-2010, 02:35 PM
You also have to find that "sweet spot" of beer intake while working on it, too little and your hands shake, too much and you can't see the things...maybe that's why I lost one?

scott
02-16-2010, 02:42 PM
i replaced my cable while sit'n around an elk camp one year. dropped one of them buggers in the dirt and pine needles, too much beer i guess. lucky for me my bro carries a big freak'n magnet in his power wagon