PDA

View Full Version : Noisy Clutch

B. Wallace
02-24-2007, 05:44 PM
To start with, thanks to everyone for all the great tips I've recieved so far, you've all been very helpful. This next issue is old one, even the previous owner put up with it.
When I engage the clutch, a strange sound is emitted. To give my best description, as soon as my foot BARELY pushes the clutch, you hear a hissing sound. When I pass that point of free play, the sound increases, but is constant from that "engaging point" to the floor. Don't think I'm crazy, but my best description of the sound reminds me of after flushing a toilet, and you hear the tank refilling. When I disengage the clutch would be when the "tank" fills, and the sound stops. This doesn't seem to affect the driveability, as it seems to work OK. I was just wondering if anyone has ever heard this before. I live in Alabama, have never seen another Series in my state, much less met anyone with any experience with one, or have a a friend's to compare to when troubles arise. So, if anyone has any insight into this matter, don't hesitate; if diriving me nuts not being able to figure out the source of this sound. Thanks in advance,

Ben

scott
02-25-2007, 11:24 AM
i'd guess throw out bearing but i hear they almost never go bad. i'm in the middle of a clutch job now myself. pull'n a tranny was lots of fun

msggunny
02-25-2007, 10:26 PM
Mine started to do the same thing a few months ago too. but for what ever reason it got quieter. On any other vehicle i would say the throw-out bearing too, but i dont understand why mine got quieter. Anyways. If your going to tear it apart to do the TOB, might as well get a clutch kit and do it all at once. Thats my plan, dont forget to check the surface of your flywheel too, get it turned if needed.

Question for Scott: HMC (FMF/PJ) you a Corpsman with the Marines?

scott
02-27-2007, 05:28 PM
aye gunny. 2/24 4md gett'n ready to go party