PDA

View Full Version : what size wrenches should you carry??

glbft1
02-17-2010, 12:54 PM
Going to make a tool role what should i carry for basic repairs and the sizes?
Basically the tools you would need to get common failures fixed.
Thanks

stomper
02-17-2010, 05:04 PM
Three sizes of adjustible wrenches! Check hanabal roof tents web site. They have a huge wealth of info on expedition preparation, as well as a general list of tools to carry for extended travels. While it is not rover specific, there is a nice list to examine.

LaneRover
02-17-2010, 05:36 PM
At least one big enough to threaten a bear with - this is depending on where you might break down of course! :)

alaskajosh
02-17-2010, 08:08 PM
Three sizes of adjustible wrenches! Check hanabal roof tents web site. They have a huge wealth of info on expedition preparation, as well as a general list of tools to carry for extended travels. While it is not rover specific, there is a nice list to examine.

Do you remember more specifically where within their site? Sounds intriguing but I'm having trouble finding it. Thank you.
Kind regards, Josh

Momo
02-18-2010, 01:00 AM
This list should get you through most minor field fixes:

Combination wrenches-

7/16
1/2
9/16
5/8

Small med and large crescent wrenches
Phillips and Flat blade screwdrivers, one each large and small
1/4 inch and 3/8 drive socket wrenches with SAE sockets
Socket extension bars, long med and short
A set of small SAE open end "ignition" wrenches for smaller nuts
Needle nose pliers
A pair of Channel Lock pliers

stomper
02-18-2010, 06:10 AM
Wow, Hannibal just recently changed their site, as I was reading the info just 2 weeks ago. I'll look into finding the old pages, as it was well constructed. I did find this site though, which is comprehansive, and more Landy specific.
http://www.landyonline.co.za/off_road/expedition_checklist.htm

thixon
02-18-2010, 12:08 PM
Momo,

You forgot to add the following:

Business card of your favorite towing service.:D

This list should get you through most minor field fixes:

Combination wrenches-

7/16
1/2
9/16
5/8

Small med and large crescent wrenches
Phillips and Flat blade screwdrivers, one each large and small
1/4 inch and 3/8 drive socket wrenches with SAE sockets
Socket extension bars, long med and short
A set of small SAE open end "ignition" wrenches for smaller nuts
Needle nose pliers
A pair of Channel Lock pliers

Momo
02-19-2010, 03:10 PM
Trav, I have the AAA Platinum membership (400 mile tow benefit!)

It's a must here in California, where many of us drive that distance just to get to our 4x4 trails. So far I've only had one tow over a hundred miles. An exhaust valve stuck in the middle of nowhere and I had a 160 mile tow bill. Would have nearly paid for the cyl head rebuild, ouch. After that I upgraded my AAA membership...

stomper
02-20-2010, 06:21 AM
I found the site I was referring to about spares, expedition planning, etc. It wasn't hannibal, but brownchurch.
http://www.brownchurch.co.uk/

Look under expedition planning, there is a bunch of interesting info. from personal items to bring, to spare parts etc.

Linus Tremaine
02-20-2010, 10:03 AM
This is one of my favorite tool "lists" in picture form. Very impressive!

http://www.seriestrek.com/tools.html

gudjeon
02-20-2010, 10:42 AM
When I perform maintenance and service, I try to use only the kit of stuff I keep in the seat box. that way, if I can't do it all with everything I have in there, I add what I need. Not ideal for starting up a kit, but over time it has worked out well. It turns out I can remove and rebuild my carb with only two wrenches, needle nose pliers, and a screwdriver.:thumb-up: