PDA

View Full Version : rotor ?

scott
02-18-2010, 06:40 PM
things started running crappy the other day. nearly 6 months without having to do anything but turn the key push a button and have fun. so i figure i should adj points and timing. notice the metal part of the rotor wiggles a little bit. went looking for an old one and of course can't find it now. does anyone's running 2.25 have a rotor that the metal is loose without an affect?

thixon
02-18-2010, 08:13 PM
Scott,

are you talking about the metal shaft, or the contact on the end of the rotor?

Actually, doesn't matter, if either is loose, it can cause issues.

scott
02-18-2010, 08:21 PM
trav

the metal contact tab doohicky thingie on the top of the plastic rotor body. mine wiggles side to side.

thixon
02-18-2010, 08:29 PM
Scott,

If the contact is loose, get a new rotor asap. You may as well get a new cap while your at it.

You're driving on borrowed time. If it comes loose, it'll take the cap with it, and you'll be walking home. Had this happen on an old e30 bimmer i had a while back. I let it go, and it went splat.

scott
02-18-2010, 08:48 PM
was it making a wierd wirly whinney noise? at low idle a chirp chirp chirp high revs a whirrrrrrrrrr

SafeAirOne
02-18-2010, 09:33 PM
was it making a wierd wirly whinney noise? at low idle a chirp chirp chirp high revs a whirrrrrrrrrr

A loose contact and a chirping noise at idle? Almost sounds as if the contact on the rotor was hitting the contacts on the cap.

scott
02-19-2010, 12:30 AM
A loose contact and a chirping noise at idle? Almost sounds as if the contact on the rotor was hitting the contacts on the cap.

yea that's what i'm thinking. i just irritates me that some where in that mess that from the outside looks like a garage but on the inside more closely resembles a landfill there is at least one rotor. i did find a back up cap. maybe it's time to look for the super glue and fix that rotor