PDA

View Full Version : Installing new brake shoes rear 109 advice??

glbft1
02-20-2010, 05:50 AM
Greetings,
I remember reading a post about installing brake shoes, I believe it said install the longer ones on the front of the hub is that true? It seems to be one of those things thats very easy to screwed up.... any tricks with springs etc any advice much appreciated.
Regards
greg

graniterover
02-20-2010, 07:37 AM
The trick is to look at the manual picture closely. If the pedal return is slow after you have them together, the spring may be installed incorrectly. While you're there, it's easy to see how the adjuster works and you can adjust the pads all the way in. If you need to bleed them, bleed them before moving the adjuster out at all.

SalemRover
02-20-2010, 08:17 AM
http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/landRoverFAQ/FAQ_rearbrakes.htm

This is an excellent read for you. Thanks to Terri ann for maintaining her great site.

brucejohn
02-20-2010, 08:22 AM
Greetings,
I remember reading a post about installing brake shoes, I believe it said install the longer ones on the front of the hub is that true? It seems to be one of those things thats very easy to screwed up.... any tricks with springs etc any advice much appreciated.
Regards
greg

Try Teriann's site. Good pictures and advice:
http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/landRoverFAQ/FAQ_rearbrakes.htm

[Edit: I am too slow]

Jeff Aronson
02-20-2010, 09:24 AM
Greg,

Your 109" will be set up a bit differently than the 88' brakes, but here's a good description (http://www.roversnorth.com/store/t-technical-info-tips-series-brake-shoe-installation.aspx) from this site as to the process.

The springs can be a bear to wrap around the various pegs and into the various holes with just needle nose pliers. I bought a set of brake spring pliers at NAPA that were a worthwhile, inexpensive purchase. They really help with new springs.

Also, keeping components clean is important with brakes, yet invariably, you'll get dirty changing out the parts. Have a full can of brake cleaner spray handy. And as recommended, do use never-seize compound on the pegs, drum brake screws and lug bolts. You'll thank yourself the next time you have do them.

Lastly, take photos or video as you uncover layer by layer if you're going to replace the wheel clyinders, too. The backing plate can look awfully empty when you try and remember how things go back together.

Good luck,

Jeff

TeriAnn
02-20-2010, 09:25 AM
It seems to be one of those things thats very easy to screwed up.... any tricks with springs etc any advice much appreciated.

I screwed up the job twice before I decided to document how everything went together for future brake jobs. Several of my how-to web pages were generated because I wanted to have a reminder so I wouldn't screw it up the next time.

When you have driven the same Land Rover for 32 years you get opportunities to do the same job multiple times but the intervals in between are long enough that it is helpful to have notes covering areas you had problems with in the past.

And sometimes the web pages are just places to put the results to my decision research. All those pages on engine power ratings, engine swaps, gearboxes and gear ratios are from the research I did while trying to decide which engine and gearbox to put in my Land Rover 11 years ago.

And yes, I'm still very happy with my Ford 302 V8. Though I think I was too extreme on my first gear ratio for the kinds of driving I do.

stomper
02-21-2010, 06:57 AM
I was just going through a bunch of old Land Rover Enthusiast Magazines I have sitting around, and there is a great home workshop article on drum brakes, which was written by Rovers North!

They wrote several articles for this magazine, I wonder if there is any way to incorporate them into this site? Is copyrighting and issue?

There were excellent step by step photos and instructions, and I have been saving that article for when brake repairs become a reality. :thumb-up: