Problem with door hinges and the bulkhead!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dashface
    Low Range
    • Nov 2007

Problem with door hinges and the bulkhead!

So, today one of my doors basically just fell off. Turns out the threaded insert in the bulkhead that the hinges attach to has rusted and I guess is stripped now. Does anyone have any ideas how to solve this? Is there a better way to attach the hinges? Are there replacements for that part of the bulkhead? Anything?

Thanks guys!
  • SafeAirOne
    Overdrive
    • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Dashface
    So, today one of my doors basically just fell off. Turns out the threaded insert in the bulkhead that the hinges attach to has rusted and I guess is stripped now. Does anyone have any ideas how to solve this? Is there a better way to attach the hinges? Are there replacements for that part of the bulkhead? Anything?

Thanks guys!

The hinges are just held on with captive nuts on my SIII (see item 24 here). As for replacement parts for the bulkhead, see item #4 here:

--Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Comment

• brucejohn
      2nd Gear
      • Jul 2009

Our hosts have a kit comprised of Land Rover's design for hinges and bolts of a "new, non-corrosive alloy", too. Part number RNK 8060.
      1982 SIII 109 RHD petrol project.

Comment

• Dashface
        Low Range
        • Nov 2007

Thanks for the tips guys - do I have to remove the bulkhead to replace this section? And what do I do, cut it out?

Comment

• brucejohn
          2nd Gear
          • Jul 2009

Why not post a picture or two before talking too much about cutting things out. Are all you trying to do is replace the captive nuts or is there more rust damage to the bulkhead you are concerned about too?

Comment

• SafeAirOne
            Overdrive
            • Apr 2008

Originally posted by brucejohn
            Why not post a picture or two before talking too much about cutting things out. Are all you trying to do is replace the captive nuts or is there more rust damage to the bulkhead you are concerned about too?

I was thinking the same thing. You don't need to replace the door support just because the captive nuts are stripped out.
            --Mark

Comment

• Dashface
              Low Range
              • Nov 2007

Originally posted by SafeAirOne
              I was thinking the same thing. You don't need to replace the door support just because the captive nuts are stripped out.

You guys are probably all correct. I mean, the whole area is pretty shot (I get the feeling this is common), but I could maybe get away with replacing just the nuts... Until I went out to take the picture I thought the rust was more widespread than it is for some reason. Just assuming the worst I guess.

Here is a pic:

So - if I can just replace the nuts, can anyone tell me how? How do I access them? As well - could someone point me towards where to get the right bits that I'll need?

Thanks tons for all the help!

Comment

• SafeAirOne
                Overdrive
                • Apr 2008

Well, let me say that your doorpost is shot. If the top looks like that, the bottom is probably worse.

As for the captive nuts being replacable, I had the SIII doorposts in mind (and I think brucejohn probably did too). You obviously don't have a SIII, so I'm not sure that your captive nuts are easily replaced. Probably a dozen pre-SIII owners that can chime in with good info here.
                --Mark

Comment

• thixon
                  5th Gear
                  • Jul 2007

Hi Dashface,

Interesting problem you have there. From the photo, it looks like the plate that the hinge bolts thread into is still in place behind the doorpost. Is that right? You could try to install a helicoils for the time being. Either way, you have some obvious rust issues with the bulkhead. How's the rest of it?

Are you after a quick fix, or do you want to tear the truck down and rework the entire bulkhead? Send more photos of what that door post looks like down low. The quick fix would be to just cut out the rusty area and weld in new metal. Based on the photo it wouldn't be all that challenging. Trouble is, you probably have issues elsewhere.
                  Travis
                  '66 IIa 88

Comment

• brucejohn
                    2nd Gear
                    • Jul 2009

I agree from my experience trying to chase that rust for a patch will be a challenge. I would begin planning to do a more extensive replacement and refurbishment of the bulkhead. If this were my running rig I would use Travis' suggestion for a quick fix while planning my long term fix.

Also, yes I have a series III and should not have assumed.

Keep us posted with more pictures, there are those here with way more experience and great suggestions. I have been successful at doing way more than I would have imagined because of the help I have received here.

Comment

• Dashface
                      Low Range
                      • Nov 2007

I will go and take some more pictures of the bottom of the post, though it doesn't look so bad.

Are there any other parts that you guys need to see on the bulkhead to know if the whole thing is shot?

Thing is, I don't have the money or facilities to replace the entire bulkhead, so posts might be the way to go. It figures that the only parts of Rovers that rust are the important bits (ie, the door posts, window tops, frame, etc), since everything else is just fine.

Thanks for all the help - I like the suggestion of the Helicoils, but if I can just cut out the post and have a new one welded in I will have that done. Any more info is great, and I'll get some pics of the bottom of the post up asap!

Comment

• thixon
                        5th Gear
                        • Jul 2007

Dashface,

Based on what I see in the photos, welding in new metal there wouldn't be dificult. Replacing the whole door post is also no sweat. You have rust higher than the door post repair piece goes IIRC.

Where are you located? If you're anywhere near GA, you can bring it by one weekend, and I'd be glad to help you out.
                        Travis
                        '66 IIa 88

Comment

• Dashface
                          Low Range
                          • Nov 2007

Yeah, the rest of the door post doesn't look too bad really. Here's the whole post:

If I were just to replace where the nuts are, how would I do it? Is there a piece available, or would I just weld in a sheet of metal with whatever nuts I want attached to it? I can't for the life of me see how to get at the nuts - would I cut in from the front? Here's a pic of the inside, and there's obviously no way in that way:

Comment

• SafeAirOne
                            Overdrive
                            • Apr 2008

I'd be willing to bet that if you poke around under the lower hinge, you'd find the same corrosion down there.

These patches are sold by our hosts for $40 and make a good band-aid fix that'll likely get you by for 5 more years...

--Mark

Comment

• Dashface
                              Low Range
                              • Nov 2007

Thanks for all the info guys! I've never dealt with any body work on any car before, so it's a bit terrifying.

If I'm going to put that top patch in, would I be well served to just go right ahead and do the whole post too do you figure?

Also - does that top patch come with the captive nuts built in, or do you just weld some on there?

Comment

Working...