PDA

View Full Version : Looking For Projects

G.G. Sprock
02-21-2010, 05:18 PM
Hello All,

I am looking for projects for my high school and adult ed conventional and CNC classes to do. If you have something on your "wish list" like custom tools, parts, etc please let me know. We can not do heat-treating right now because the oven burned up, but can out-source it for reasonable cost if you need gears or the like.

Let me know what you need. I can provide additonal support by producing CAD drawings and some CAM support if you have a local CNC shop.

Best wishes,

Greg Sprock

G.G. Sprock
02-21-2010, 05:19 PM
Oh rats, forgot to include my email. If you need to send drawings, photos, or the like, please send to me:

greg.sprock@nhrec.org

4flattires
02-21-2010, 08:18 PM
That's a very generous offer. Where are you located? Can you show some pics of what you have fabbed up in the past, and some sample pricing?

Thanks,

Jeff

Hawaii_SIII
02-22-2010, 05:29 AM
Sounds like a great learning opportunity. I can remember making tools for the teacher in my metal fab classes in high school. I can even remember doing an architectual draft for the house building project the high school sponsored.

That being said, how about a tool for torqueing the head bolts to a 2.25l diesel? it goes around the fuel injectors so the removal of said injectors isn't required to torque. I'll send you a picture from the manual if desired.

jac04
02-22-2010, 08:52 AM
I'll be making a few sketches and sending them to you. All I have is AutoCad LT - is that OK?

SafeAirOne
02-22-2010, 08:53 AM
I'd just like to see someone make an economical tool to remove spring bushings. The only sort of hard part to make requires somewhat more precision to capture the outer tube of the bushing, but still fit through the chassis hole.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4053/4378534183_da44b422e4_b.jpg

Jim-ME
02-22-2010, 09:27 AM
If you can make any sort of spring bushing removal tool preferably one that mounts to an air chisel I'd gladly pay what ever you ask.
Jim

TedW
02-22-2010, 09:53 AM
I'd just like to see someone make an economical tool to remove spring bushings. The only sort of hard part to make requires somewhat more precision to capture the outer tube of the bushing, but still fit through the chassis hole.

Wouldn't THAT be awesome................

And like Jim said, put it on an air tool and you'd really be in business.

G.G. Sprock
02-22-2010, 10:52 AM
Wow - This is great. Thank you for showing interest in our shop!

I work with Inventor and can handle any DXF, DWG, IPT, STL, or IGES files.

Depending on complexity, we do work more for the opportunity to learn than anything. Fees are based on shipping, materials, and tools more than time. Speaking of which, delivery times can be delayed depending on the skill level required for a part vs. skills of my available students.

Materials here on hand include mild and medium carbon steels, 6061 aluminum, and some stainless. Send my photos, drawings, etc. and I will let you know if we can do it, how long it would take, and associated costs.

We are located in Hampton, VA 23666 if you would like to guess your shipping costs ;-)

G.G. Sprock
02-22-2010, 04:59 PM
Okay, the distance limits for my CNC mill are 16" wide, 12" deep, and about 10" tall. Anything bigger and I can offer custom CNC toolpaths for you to take to the shop of your choice :-)

BackInA88
02-22-2010, 05:05 PM
How about making up some gear box main shaft tools?

It would be a good project as it would be lathe and mill work.

Steve

straightcut
02-24-2010, 01:22 PM
I'd be interested in a mainshaft socket as well. A tool that's 1/2" drive compatible would easily allow torquing to spec.

Mark

G.G. Sprock
02-26-2010, 02:53 PM
Please send photos, sketches, etc on to me. If we can pull it off, I will definitely give it a try. I have two SIIAs at home, one petrol and one diesel, so can try out most tools ahead of time for you ;-)

SafeAirOne
02-26-2010, 09:30 PM
Please send photos, sketches, etc on to me. If we can pull it off, I will definitely give it a try. I have two SIIAs at home, one petrol and one diesel, so can try out most tools ahead of time for you ;-)

Probably be easier for them to send you the nut. It is a pretty exact thing, as far as nuts go. I got an aftermarket nut that was a little off and the RN socket wouldn't fit it. I had to get a new nut.

G.G. Sprock
02-27-2010, 10:52 AM
Hi Jeff,

You can see some of the machining done recently on my You Tube page:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ggsprock

I will try to scrounge some photos otherwise...

Best wishes,

g.

G.G. Sprock
02-28-2010, 08:45 AM
I will try to make time to get after the spring bushing tool this week. I like the concept of fitting it to an air-chisel.

As far as the gear box mainshaft tool, what nut are you trying to get? Is it the castle nut when you are adding a PTO or overdrive? If so, I already have made up one of those and will just have to find the drawings... somewhere, lol.

BackInA88
02-28-2010, 09:27 AM
I will try to make time to get after the spring bushing tool this week. I like the concept of fitting it to an air-chisel.

As far as the gear box mainshaft tool, what nut are you trying to get? Is it the castle nut when you are adding a PTO or overdrive? If so, I already have made up one of those and will just have to find the drawings... somewhere, lol.

Hey that's the one!:thumb-up:

Steve

G.G. Sprock
02-28-2010, 12:13 PM
Okay, I will go scrounging through my stuff tomorrow. Think I already have a part profile for modifying an existing 1/2" drive deep-well socket... that is how I recall I tackled the problem.

straightcut
03-09-2010, 10:55 PM
Right. Most people start with a 1/2" drive deep socket. Sounds like you just need to put what you have made into production. I'd be all over one of those!

Mark

ignotus
03-10-2010, 12:30 AM
GG,

I don't think an air chisel would work well. I would like something that fit around the frame and pushed the bushing out/in with a bottle jack.
I would however purchase a couple of the items shown by airsafeone. Those I could use as described with a bottlejack....just fab up a holder out of some C channel.

gene

SafeAirOne
03-10-2010, 07:44 AM
I don't think an air chisel would work well. I would like something that fit around the frame and pushed the bushing out/in with a bottle jack.

I would however purchase a couple of the items shown by airsafeone. Those I could use as described with a bottlejack....just fab up a holder out of some C channel.

That flange I originally posted is part of a system that uses a threaded rod to pull the bushing out.

In my mind, the full system looks something like this (shows 2 systems, one front view and one rear view):

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4008/4422538906_ff6c46b6a3_b.jpg

yorker
03-11-2010, 05:59 AM
How about making up some gear box main shaft tools?

It would be a good project as it would be lathe and mill work.

Steve

£60.00...
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180476494342

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/5/9/8/4/5/3/webimg/346867343_o.jpg

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/5/9/8/4/5/3/webimg/346867364_o.jpg