PDA

View Full Version : Drive Flanges

Crash
02-21-2010, 09:00 PM
I am rebuilding an SII that is a more or less a 65 model. I believe it had a frame switch at some point and some odd features incoporated ie a second fuel tank on the drivers side and military style bumperettes. It may have had theaxles swaped out at the same time.

When stripping the axles down this weeknd I encountered 2 different styles of drive flange and 1/2 shafts - 1 with a conventional style hub cap for a 1/2 shaft with a castle nut and a cotter pin arrrangement and 3 with 1/2 shafts without a threaded end for a castle nut.

The 3 have a "flat" hub cap and 1/2 shafts are 10 spline on the diff end and 21 on the drive flange??

Anyone encountered this before or might know what I have here??? I searched all the manuals and don't see this variant listed.

Photos to follow.

J

SafeAirOne
02-21-2010, 10:15 PM
When stripping the axles down this weeknd I encountered 2 different styles of drive flange and 1/2 shafts - 1 with a conventional style hub cap for a 1/2 shaft with a castle nut and a cotter pin arrrangement and 3 with 1/2 shafts without a threaded end for a castle nut.

The 3 have a "flat" hub cap and 1/2 shafts are 10 spline on the diff end and 21 on the drive flange??

Anyone encountered this before or might know what I have here??? I searched all the manuals and don't see this variant listed.

Photos to follow.

J

My 73 SIII 109 has 10 spline inners and 24 spline outers. I believe it rolled out of the factory this way.

The impression that I get from the SIII WSM is that all rovers had front axles that were held in place by castellated nuts and cotter pins. The rear axle shafts on the 109s (Salisbury axle assemblies) are held in by circlips, not a castellated nut and cotter pin. The SIII bible indicates that 88s had the castellated nuts all around, but then also shows an exploded view of an 88 rear that has a circlip-type setup, so who knows...Maybe it came both ways on the 88s

It sounds as if one of your rears was replaced by whatever style was on hand.

brucejohn
02-22-2010, 07:19 AM
Pictures really help the folks identify what you are up against.

That sounds right, my 82 109 with a rover front differential has the10/24 half shafts, that was the reengineered version of original half shafts that broke a bit too much I think.

Didn't the lightweights or MOD's have flat hub caps in front?

Crash
02-23-2010, 07:47 PM
Some pictures showing the different flanges.

The rear axle has one of each style and the front has two of the non threaded drive shaft.

Thoughts!!

SafeAirOne
02-23-2010, 08:40 PM
Interesting...

I'd GUESS that the no-cap flange one is from an early 90/110 or maybe RR/Disco??, since it's 24-spline. The others are just regular old 24 and 10-spline Series drive flanges. I'd be willing to bet that the previous owner wasn't big on them there store-bought parts, 'causen he had a backyard full of delapidated rovers and various parts everywhere.

brucejohn
02-23-2010, 09:53 PM
Can't speak to the rears, but my series III front 24/10's have a castle nut.

greenmeanie
02-24-2010, 12:30 AM
Those look like lightweight hub caps. These were used on earlier lightweights to reduce width so that they would fit RAF transports of the day. Later trucks reverted to civvy style axle and hub caps. Mind you I thought they were 10 spline but who knows.

yorker
02-24-2010, 11:21 AM
http://www.lro.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=351773&sid=6712882d18429fa63941bac8679ba738

Crash
02-24-2010, 01:21 PM
The provenance of this vehicle is a little odd. No frame number and the number on the bulkhead suggests it is a right hand drive military vehicle.
The ownership tags it as a 1973 SIIa!! Obviously a mixed bag and likely a build up of odd parts over the years.

It is left hand drive and based on the body style ie headlights between the fenders it is a non military 88 circa 1965. Engine block and other items are from that time frame.

The configuration of the flange and the axle makes for an easier rebuild but the challenge is going to be finding spares for the odd bits.

There is a slim chance I can find out more through the place I bought it.

Will the numbers on the axle cases provide a clue?

C

greenmeanie
02-24-2010, 02:01 PM
They are axle half shafts and drive members from a pre 1980 LR Airportable. If you want everything to match then you need:
561956 & 561957 - Front axles.
599530 Rear half shaft RH.
599531 Rear half shaft LH.
90571321 Drive flange 24 spline.
571323 End cap.
561981 O-ring.

Crash
02-24-2010, 08:30 PM
Thanks for the info.

I had thought of lightweights but all of the pictures I looked at showed the traditional hubs. After your post I looked at one of the UK sites and sure enough there they were!!

IS there any real advantage to the LW flanges that I have??? I was originally trying to restore this one but perhaps that will change as I discover other oddities along the way.

C

greenmeanie
02-25-2010, 09:28 AM
Their only real purpose was to make the truck narrower. Arguably the 24 spline outer is stronger but you still have a 10 spline inner so there is no real strength improvement. Replacement parts will be more expensive and difficult to find than the civvy ones.

Even the MOD switched to the stock civvy set up later in production which probably tells you something.